Newly diagnosed- itching??

Posted , 92 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with genital herpes type 2 a couple of weeks ago. My first outbreak was horrific but the sores cleared up within 5 days on aciclovir. Now I've got really intense itching in my vagina and all around my bum, has anyone else experienced this? I've been doing quite a bit of research but itching doesn't seem to be mentioned as a symptom after an outbreak. It's driving me crazy now and really getting me down as I'm so uncomfortable, I'm so scared of having another outbreak as the first was so painful.

Thanks 

3 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI, i had the same thing 

i got diagnosed 1 month 1/2 ago and they have been the longest month ever. 

it horrible i know. i had my first outbreak and lasted about 2 weeks and i started taking the meds the dr prescribed took about 3 days to start calming the pain down 

i then had some terrible itching similar to what youre describing 

specially at night

i then noticed a new bump that looked like a pimple and had a second outbreak in less than a month went to the dr again and she gave me another bottle of meds and some anti biotic because i also had some bacteria from a yeast infection 

after that i felt way better finished my meds and the ittching is comletly gone

my out break has cleared and now im just hoping to god iwont have another outbreak any time soon, if not never. 

Tell your dr about to itch and tell her to hceck you for a yeast infection 

• Posted

Hi Jazmin thanks for your reply smile that sounds the exact same as what I've had. My initial outbreak was about 3 weeks ago and was just very sore but no itching, that cleared up with the meds but then I had another outbreak almost immediately after with not much pain at all but awful itching.

It's really reassuring that you've cleared up completely now, I feel a bit like there's no end in sight at the moment...like you said the itching is so much worse at night so I think the lack of sleep is getting me down more about it.

I went back to the clinic last Thursday and they couldn't see any evidence of a yeast infection so it must just be the outbreak causing it.

Fingers crossed you never get another outbreak! A lot of people seem to say they won't be as bad as the first so hopefully that's the case smile

• Posted

Hi courage, hopefully your outbreak is all done now, but if it happens again, try Coconut Oil Cream for the itch!  I read it on another blog and it works!!!  Just wish I would have read about it at the beginning of my first outbreak.  But it does reduce the severity of the itching, trust me!  Best to you...
    • Posted

To stop the itching I was prescribed by my gynecology to apply the ointment Clobetasel Propionate and take an allergy tablet for 10 days. The two works together. I don't itch anymore 

• Posted

Hi Katie. I just got this for the first time in May. The first episode the sores were close.to where I urinate so I thought I had a urinary infection because it hurt so badly when I urinated. The doctor gave me an antibiotic but it didn't help so I went back to her again and this time she examined me and found the sores. I went on the meds to clear it up and it did. Now it is 4 months later and I have severe itching around my anus. I'm not sure if there is a sore but there may be. It's very uncomfortable and when I rub it to try and relieve the itchiness, it hurts. Totally different symptoms than the first time so I wasn't sure it was an outbreak again or not but since people have said that they had itching, I'm pretty sure it is that. My gynecologist said that if I have herpes 2 that it can reoccur regularly, type 1 not so much. I'm not sure which one I have.

If it is type 2 then my doctor said that I could go on daily meds but I take enough meds already and don't want to take any more so I will try and live with the discomfort and just take the 3 day dosage meds. Does anyone else take meds for this?

• Posted

Hi Chezin, just now reading your message, hope you're doing well.  Yes, I take a daily Valtrex 500 mg to ward off any future outbreaks.  This was my choice.  I'm disabled and take a lot of meds too, but this is only one more and if it keeps me from having multiple outbreaks I'll take it!!!  Why live with the discomfort that this horrid disease causes when one little pill will help???  Wishing you the best............

• Posted

Hi im jamie can u please help me through this from AToZim lost dont know nothing what to do are anything please help me please
  • Posted

Hey Katie! I just got diagnosed a week ago... it's been most miserable thing I've ever experienced. But I've been on aciclovir a week now and most of the outbreak is gone. But I to have experienced this itching. It's driving me crazy! I'm hoping it is gone soon. But just know you're not alone. I'm experiencing the same symptoms. Im 34 and never once have had an issue. Was married for years and one time w a new guy I'm dating and this! Worst pain ever. But I'm Wishing u luck! smile

• Posted

I posted this over a year ago...ive had one major outbreak since and maybe a few minor ones but most of the time I completely forget I even have it.

I hope you're starting to recover now but just know it definitely gets better!!

My first outbreak was truly the most miserable I've been in my life (doesn't help that it happened while I was moving house) but it honestly gets better smile

And in the mean time stick an ice pack wrapped in a towel between your legs at night I remember that helped a bit xx

• Posted

Thank you. It's been 6 months since the first outbreak and I've only had one other one. Yes, I can live with this but I wish I didn't have to. Take care.

• Posted

I feel the same! Sharp intense intchy and shooting pains.

Pain I've put down to nerves? But it's getting unbearable now!!!

• Posted

Hello all. I'm getting over my outbreak which has lasted a month. First bad outbreak I have had in years!

I too am left with itching in my vagina, but it also feels like there is a dull ache down there. Feels dry too.

It's a bit worrying but I've also been getting butterfly sensations down there. I am wondering if I'm going to have another outbreak! I hope not!

I hope everyone on this discussion have healed?

• Posted

I had my first ever which I assume is a genital herpes outbreak a few weeks ago. I never got a chance to see someone but it was literally the worst few weeks of my life..every typical symptom in the book. It's now been healed for a week but I still have an intense itch that comes and goes. Keeps me up at night, I've inspected it over and over again and there is nothing there but the itch is still there to the point you drop everything to be able to itch since it doesn't go away on its own. Anyone knows what that could be what I could do??

Thx so much! I'm

• Posted

I haven't been diagnosed, but from the research I've been doing I'm pretty sure I have it. I can actually pee now, and I've been soaking in epsom salt frequently, but now I'm starting to itch again. No new sores have reappeared. The old ones are starting to heal. Is this normal or are more sores going to come up?! I am in a committed relationship and have been for years. Neither of us have cheated. This is the first time I have ever had this happen. I was in the hospital for a month with my oldest child recently and that's when the outbreak started. My youngest was born 6 months ago and since then I have gotten a small tear at the top in between the vaginal lips. This has happened more than once, but usually only after shaving or sex. Could that be related to an outbreak? I need to go to the doctor but I haven't had time. My child has had multiple follow up appointments and then the holidays were here so everything was closed. I haven't had sex in almost 2 months of that matters. He works offshore so he is gone a month at a time. We do live together, but since my child was in the hospital it isn't like we could fool around in the hospital room!

Any help would be great!

• Posted

You really need to take the time to get tested. I am in the same situation. Never cheated. But you're no good to your kids if you can't function correctly. I suffered for a week and saw three doctors including one in the ER who didn't bother testing me. I saw another doctor who finally did test me and put me out of work. It was just on 12/26 that I was notified I was hsv2 positive, which was still another week later. So I suffered for two weeks and it caused me so much pain and grief that I've been out of work and my immune system went down, making my endometriosis flare up. Point is, don't wait. For your sake and your kid's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.