Newly diagnosed- itching??

Posted , 92 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with genital herpes type 2 a couple of weeks ago. My first outbreak was horrific but the sores cleared up within 5 days on aciclovir. Now I've got really intense itching in my vagina and all around my bum, has anyone else experienced this? I've been doing quite a bit of research but itching doesn't seem to be mentioned as a symptom after an outbreak. It's driving me crazy now and really getting me down as I'm so uncomfortable, I'm so scared of having another outbreak as the first was so painful.

Thanks 

3 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've experienced the same thing lately, I've never had an issue until I stopped taking birth control pills and it became apparent that I also have this. I found that ice packs were helpful as well as folding a piece of paper towel and putting it over the sores as to prevent the sores from touching any other skin helped. I tried this because I noticed sores in the same spots on both sides and it seemed to eliminate that as long as the paper towel was changed regularly. I'm considering going back on BC. Has anyone else experienced this relationship with birth control? Does it get worse if you get pregnant? Has anyone taken medication once they are prego as it is the new protocol that you can take it 3 weeks before delivery in order to have a vaginal birth. What about breast feeding while on the medication or during an outbreak? Also can it cause sharp abdominal pain that seems to have no other cause? I wish there was a cure and vaccine already

• Posted

I know this is an old post. I had an outbreak three weeks ago and I'm still itching like crazy....inside my vagina, outside....and sometimes a burning feeling.I don't know what this is. I've been to my gyno and she saw nothing, said there were no sores, no yeast infection. My test for gonorrhoea and chlamydia came back negative. My family dr told me it may be allin my head. This is not in my head. Yesterday I felt a lot of burning and pain in my lower abdomen and back thought I had a UTI. Went to emerg at hospital. Checked again. No sores, no yeast infection, no UTI. Did swabs for gonorrhoea and chlamydia and some type of cultures again. Will wait to see. I started an anxiety med on Monday which I found was making me pee a lot so maybe that was it. I don't know. Stopped taking it now because didn't like the side effects. Will see what happens. Now I have another appointment with my gyno this week and will further investigate the problem. This is driving me nuts. The itching has been annoying me today. Seems worse at night. I'm so mad and sad and full of emotions.

• Posted

Definitely not in your head that's exactly how I felt after my first outbreak (also mildly after subsequent outbreaks but nothing compared to the first), I think there is a lot that still isn't understood about HSV2 even by medical professionals. I remember going back to the clinic after my outbreak with the itching and the doctor literally didn't have a clue he pretty much said the same are you sure it's not in your head...no it's sodding not I didn't sleep for a week with it!!

Ice packs wrapped in a towel and clamped between my legs at night helped me and also Epsom salt baths but honestly I remember during that week the only way I would get any sleep is if I drank wine before bed...obviously not a medically recommended solution but I was just desperate for some sleep!!

It will get better I promise, I felt the same at first I was so emotional and down about it all but you're bound to be you've just found out you have a lifelong taboo disease!! Now I hardly ever remember I even have it and do still get occasional outbreaks but even they don't seem as bad any more.

Sorry for the long reply, I hope things get better for you very soon smile

• Posted

Yes but this itching has been going on for three weeks. Yours was only a week?
    • Posted

The 'outbreak' part with the sores etc was about a week, the itching was another couple of weeks after that I think xx

• Posted

I know this is an older post. But I'm having my first outbreak and its lasted for over 2 1/2 months. The burning, itching, shooting pain, they thought is was yeast infection @1st, never saw any sores. Now i have several sores and the same s/s. This is very depressing, I've not had sexual contact in over 10 years.

• Posted

Hey! So relieved that the itching seems to be a first OB only thing.. I think? Currently 2 days in and I'm trying not to break down and cry, some of you are saying it lasts a few weeks!?! How on earth do you deal with that.

I've been given a 5 day course taking 2 pills a day of famciclovir 125. Has anyone else had this during an OB? I'm currently on the 5th day and it's only gotten worse, the doctor has said take another 5 day lot but I want to know if anyone has been put on something more successful because I can't deal with this sad

• Posted

I sometimes have very mild itching after outbreaks now but they're so few and far between and so much less intense it doesn't affect me at all really...I completely understand because I cried a lot during my first outbreak (doesn't help that I was also moving house at the time) but honestly I barely even know I have it any more it becomes a very insignificant part of your life once you get your head round it.

My first outbreak was a couple of years ago but if I remember correctly I was on acyclovir for 5 days and then another 5 as it hadn't helped it. Honestly I'm not sure if antivirals do that much to help other than maybe speeding the outbreak process along slightly.

I take vitamin b12 and lysine supplements every day now to hopefully suppress outbreaks and I double the dose if I do have an outbreak, no idea if it helps or not really but they were both recommended a lot online so do a little research on them.

Good luck and try to stay positive xx

• Posted

My itching finally stopped. I was itchy for about three weeks after the outbreak cleared. I'm on Valtrex 500 mg everyday so I'm hoping that will lower the number of outbreaks I get. I'm in a relationship so I'm using it to make sure I don't pass it on to my partner. However I'm scared to have sex. I'm sure I'll be ok as time goes by. I'm still kinda disgusted with myself and I haven't accepted it yet. I hope I get to that point where I kinda forget about it but it will take time.

• Posted

Damn three weeks?! Ugh it's only been two days for me and I feel like it's consuming me. Was there anything you used to help with the itching? Do you think that the antiviral meds help relieve the itching, because I stopped using it after my 1st outbreak. I'm going to try with the meds again to see if it helps.

• Posted

How are you doing now? I'm currently batteling these itching symptoms myself.

I just had my first outbreak 5/9/2017 (probably the most painful experience of my life thus far) I felt normal for about 4 days before the itching started? But I also stopped the antiviral meds a few days after the sores left. I just started taking the antiviral meds again, to see if it helps. Along with different creams and CBD.

Did you have any tricks that helped you out?

• Posted

Hi sweet76, from what I've read it is still adviseable to use condoms if sexually active.  You can pass on this virus without even knowing it.   I hadn't had sex since 2004, and, after a really terrible period of stress, broke out in my first ever outbreak.  I hope to also be able to forget about this, but mentally I think I'm still working through that.  Wishing you the best.............

• Posted

I am fairly sure I have HSV 1 which from what I can tell this is a milder version. Do either of you have this type? There's not much info out there for type 1 genital.

Oh I have read about valtrex, do you get any side effects from it? I want to suggest to my doctor that I go on this.

I'm also scared to even have sex and tell new partners sad last one was cheating which is how I got herpes not that the type I have is uncommon but still not nice to have!

Thanks for the replys smile

• Posted

Hi all,

I have had soreness and itching for 5 months now 😩.

I have been to the gp and they gave me antibiotic cream as they could not see anything down there.

Since seeing the nurse I have developed a small painful rash that just will not go away.

I am in constant discomfort and am so miserable and irritable. I have had a course of antivirals of an online surgery but this did not seem to help 😩

I'm hoping a different dose/brand of antivirals from the gp may help.

This is constant for months now, no blisters but just ongoing soreness and itching.

It is really getting me down now and I am scared to go to the gp incase they tell me there is nothing they can do. I feel like I will never have sex again xx

• Posted

I just looked this up because your question is exactly what I am going threw. Did your itching go away eventually? I've been using creams and what not to try and help but it doesn't seem to be doing much. It's all I can think about too... and it seems to just be getting worse and all I want to do is sleep.

• Posted

Hi Paige, my first ever outbreak is finally suppressed, but I did learn something about the God awful itching.  Use Coconut Oil Cream!!!  It works SO WELL in decreasing the itching.  I read this on a blog and wish I had known it a lot sooner.  Good luck to you....
    • Posted

Hi,

Where did you get the coconut oil cream? What kind of package does it come in? What brand?

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi.  The brand I bought is called Advanced Clinicals.  But you can find it anywhere now, any drugstore, or even Walmart!  Just look in the Beauty Section near the body lotions.  The kind I bought came in a pump bottle.  I don't know why it works so well, but it sure does!  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.