Newly diagnosed prostrate cancer stage III T3C

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys, I guess we are all here for the same s****y diagnosis a dude can ever get. I’m 59 yrs old and the saying use it or Lose doesn’t ring true to me. My wife and I are having sex on almost a daily basis and it’s a huge component in our relationship. This is my 3rd marriage but should have been my first. We’ve been together 7 yrs and the sex is awesome and now this!! I’m waiting on the MRI results but my question is has anyone had the surgery radical prostecomy and than others who have had just the radiation and hormones. My surgeon doesn’t think mine is operable so he mentioned radiation with hormones. I need to know if this will effect my ability to have an erection or from what he told me the surgery is worse cuz they cut the nerves that produce an erection. I don’t want to live as a woman with breasts and no working penis. I’d rather be gone & I know some might think it’s shallow but I need to know if I have a better chance at keeping my manhood and with which procedure. Can anyone share your exp with both treatments?

Thanks 

John

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I speak as a 52yo with Gleason 4+5=9.

All significant treatments

radical surgery

Radiation

ADT (also called "hormone therapy"wink

reduce and sometimes extinguish erectile function.

Erectile function is lost quicker with surgery and is slower to disappear with radiation.

In many cases libido is also extinguished. But not alwys. Not in my case for instance.

Having had ALL of the above treatments, I can say that erectile function is gone.

Your focus should be on getting better without too many side effects from the treatment.

It should not be on whether you'll enjoy sex post treatment as much as you did pre-treatment.

MRI is very useful so long as it is reported on by an expert in prostate cancer. You do not want a

generalist radiologist to report on it.

If sex is important then surgery if viable, is the best option. If the PCa has spread beyond the prostate, as you suggest, then surgery is most probably not an option. That said, you could do worse than obtain a second opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.