Newly diagnosed with A Fib and worried!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. I went to the doc a few days ago with palpitations and anxiety attacks that had started waking me through the night over a few days. She gave me propranalol and i had an ECG. Bloods came back normal apart from hormones which said i was i. Menopause & possible cause of palpitations. ECG showed minor A Fib. Doc said she needed clarification from cardiologist so been waiting to hear back & feeling very anxious. Also light headed and unsteady on feet which is hopefully the change in BP from betablockers. History...increasing anxiety for 18 mths (menopause?) as well as chronic digestive (gas) issue for a cple yrs (ibs? All tests negative), palpitations sporadic over 2 years coinciding with excess gas, leading to panic attacks. Over Xmas, more stomach upset due to eating richer foods...panic attacks and 'palpitations' at night (waking me up many times), then diagnosis of minor A Fib. Any support would be much appreciated, thank you.

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Julia,  I suggest you try to recognise the triggers to your AF.  Like you I have found that I get AF if I get a stomach upset. I have also found red wine to be a trigger.  I can avoid red wine.  If I feel the least bit of a stomach upset, or digestive problems I take soomething to settle it, and if out for a meal that will be rich i.e. a curry, I take an antacid beforhand and it seems to work.  I have been AF free for periods of 3 months.  I do use  omeprazole if AF starts.  Try not to worry, as once you talk about the problem you will find lots of people have similar conditions, and usually carry on as normal.  I have freinds that play rugby with the condition, others that use the gym on a daily basis. 

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks Gary, i already dont drink alcohol, dont smoke or take caffeine, chocolate, i try to avoid sugar, bread, cakes & pastries but xmas was a blip for some foods id normally avoid! Now if anything im not eating enough because I'm not sure what I can eat...but am thinking of seeing a nutritionist and have been recommended one. I'm waiting for advice on exercise as I don't know how much I can do...before xmas I was walking 10miles a week, now nothing (feel weird after a week on betablockers, unsteady on feet & lightheaded, dunno if it the BBs, the AFib or my nerves! Thank you for sharing about friends you know leading active lives...i hope i can get back to that but right now feeling quite broken.

• Posted

I think broken is a good word to describe how it makes you feel until I came on to this site I didn't know one other person with afib, when I went to hospital to see cardiologist I wanted to say out loud " is there anyone here with afib?" Just so I could talk about it , I hope reading these comments as helped you and just ignore my negativity Julie I'm not always like this x

• Posted

Bea28340  - Have you had a look at the Arrhythmia Alliance website  - there are support groups around the UK - its possible there may be one near you.     The one nearest to me is 30 miles away and as I only have taxi's to get anywhere I've not gone to any meetings but maybe one you can get to which may help you?       I became a friend the other day £15 for a year but they sent me some very useful booklets which helped me understand some things I had not heard before. 

• Posted

Oh thank you Kate il look into that now , thank you so much x
    • Posted

Don't worry Bea, its hard not to have negative thoughts and feelings when we feel this rough.

• Posted

Thank you Julie hope alls well with you your very kind x
    • Posted

How are you doing now Bea? Did the day get any better for you? Hope so! I spoke to my dic about dizziness/nausea on betablockers and shes suggested halving the dose. I also asked for some happy pills cos i need the boost! So ive got sertraline to try. Forced myself to go to supermarket, was relieved to get out with the dizziness n nausea, but made it home without collapsing and got food in again! I hope things improved for you after a bad start? x
    • Posted

Oops, Doc!!! Sausage fingers on tiny iphone keypad!
    • Posted

Hi Julie I feel a bit better tonight but I think it's a night on the sofa 🙁 Thank you I carnt lower my dose really I only take 1.5 now bisoporol and 5mg of enepril for blood pressure, I'm going to address the medication when I see the cardiologist this month 😊 So fingers crossed x

• Posted

Yes it's funny how we end up on the sofa on a bad day, I do exactly the same! Ive started falling asleep to a radio chat channel (LBC app) propped up on 2 pillows on my back. I cant sleep till after midnight then wide awake at 4, this morning i slept again 6-9am. Be lovely to sleep right thru again! Hope you get a peaceful night...maybe try the radio app, i find it soothing x

• Posted

I tend to watch boxed sets ,on Netflix the first time I was sent home after being diagnosed I watched one back to back for 7 nights it kept my mind from wandering I might give the music a go thank you x
    • Posted

Yes box sets are good too...i did Benidorm over new year lol! Also a bit of comedy's a good distraction. We don't get enough laughs do we? Do you have friends / family who understand your situation? x

• Posted

No Julie they don't take it seriously and think I'm panicking too much that's why I felt isolated and this site as been a great help I don't know how I coped before I found it x

• Posted

Hi Bea, how are you doing at the mo? Hope everythings ok x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.