Newly diagnosed with A Fib and worried!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. I went to the doc a few days ago with palpitations and anxiety attacks that had started waking me through the night over a few days. She gave me propranalol and i had an ECG. Bloods came back normal apart from hormones which said i was i. Menopause & possible cause of palpitations. ECG showed minor A Fib. Doc said she needed clarification from cardiologist so been waiting to hear back & feeling very anxious. Also light headed and unsteady on feet which is hopefully the change in BP from betablockers. History...increasing anxiety for 18 mths (menopause?) as well as chronic digestive (gas) issue for a cple yrs (ibs? All tests negative), palpitations sporadic over 2 years coinciding with excess gas, leading to panic attacks. Over Xmas, more stomach upset due to eating richer foods...panic attacks and 'palpitations' at night (waking me up many times), then diagnosis of minor A Fib. Any support would be much appreciated, thank you.

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Julie

Thanks for the reply, its funny I can sleep infront of the TV but as soon as I get into bed I am wide awake and cannot sleep. I toss and turn , then get up and look at my emails andtry again, I have been given amytriptiline but to no effect, will ask GP for a stronger one!I think I might resort to going down to sit and watch netflix!

• Posted

Hi Wendy, i tried amitriptyline a few months ago for migraines/anxiety...it made me depressed as it wire off and didnt prevent migraines, but it did help me to sleep. Im just starting on sertraline today, maybe that'll help me sleep. I'll be on the settee too, listening to a talk radio channel, very soothing! Think its LBC. Helps get me off to sleep but i'll still wake at 4!

• Posted

Hi Again

I read on some of the comments about  a FOD diet do you know what it is and where to find itis it  on the web, How does it work?

• Posted

Just google Fodmap     there is loads of free advise.    The book I bought was Low Fodmap diet by S Shepherd and P Gibson via Amazon
    • Posted

Hi Wendy, thought Id just drop by and see how youre doing? My docs dond a u turn since speaking to cardio and is now saying its not afib...something to do with the atria but not afib! She doesnt fully understand she says, which doesnt help me too much! Lol. Having a loop monitor 20th for a longer look at palpitations. Im taking 20 mg betablockers 3-4 x a day for blood pressure/palps/anxiety(half original dose cos was very dizzy and unsteady). I tried sertraline night before last 50mg but had a horrendous day of anxiety so im going to try without antidepressants. Thinking of asking to try HRT as its all gone pear shaped in last year as ive entered meonpause. How are you doing? X
    • Posted

Hi Kate, how are you doing? Hope everythings ok, always good for a chat x
  • Posted

Took my 1st sertraline last night (antidepressant) . Sick as a dog this morning tho nothing to bring up. I'll try with food next time. Anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.