Newly diagnosed with cysts...what happens now?

Posted , 4 users are following.

What's most likely to happen? Will they just leave them? 6cm cyst left ovary, 2cm right ovary, extreme pain not resolved by painkillers, don't know what types they are. Seeing doc again in 2 weeks. TTC for 8 months can they effect fertility? So glad I saw a second doc, my normal doc was convinced was IBS. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've suffered with ovarian cysts throughout most of my life, they tend to grow on my left ovary only, but I've had them on both. I know for a fact that I got pregnant (with twins nonetheless!) whilst I had cysts. So, don't worry about getting pregnant with cysts, it's probably nothing to do with them. They can actually help sustain the pregnancy, I've read. 

I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant with a medium-large cyst on my left ovary and the midwives are taking a "wait and see" approach. However, I'm not feeling extreme pain as you mentioned so perhaps if it gets too much, don't wait for two weeks, get back there asap as in rare situations extreme pain can mean the cyst is twisted/ruptured. Please listen to your body and do what you think is best. Good luck ttc! smile

• Posted

sorry to hear that you have been suffering for some time. Its great news that you have got pregnant and very reasuring. My pain seems to be associated with my cycles...why is that?...im dreading my next period...my last period the pain was so bad...painkillers dont work...i nearly went to A&E several times...in retrospect i should have...i remember waking in the night in a hot sweat and had discharge and felt like something had popped...so it probably did? if i get pain like that again im going to A&E next time. I can imagine my doc wanting to

take the wait and see approach, i just hope she takes this seriously...she was so insistant that it was IBS and i was saying no this feels like something else...i just read though that constipation which was one of my symptoms can be caused by the cysts? suppose they obstruct the bowel? im in a bit of pain still from the ultrasound as think she was pressing the probe right on the cyst? anyway...wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy.  xx

• Posted

Hi umbrielle, so I just thought I would let you know my news! Found out am pregnant today! Still early days so fingers crossed. Was feeling a bit nauseous this morning but normally do around that time of the month, so didn't think anything of it! But did a test a lunch time and it was positive, I'm over the moon! So I just wondered in terms of the cysts... Do you think they will get smaller? And do they effect the pregnancy in anyway? What if they rupture will the baby be ok? Cheers x 
    • Posted

Ahhhh!! Congratulations!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!! 

As far as I'm aware, cysts will shrink away by the 12th week of pregnancy in general. They will ache a bit as your uterus grows week by week (and they are being pushed aside) and the cyst itself will likely grow before it starts to shrink, again, causing a bit of aching.

My MW wasn't worried about my medium sized cyst, and later said they can often help sustain early pregnancy as they produce pregnancy hormones (which confirmed what a kind lady had already told me on here!) so it can actually be a good thing. I'm now nearly 10 weeks pregnant and I barely notice my cyst.. whereas a few weeks before it was aching! So I think it's shrinking.

So all in all I wouldn't worry at all. I did get a bit of brown discharge which I'm not sure was related but other than that, smooth sailing (apart from the hideous nausea and fatigue.. enjoy that wink )

Again, CONGRATS!! x

• Posted

thank you so much! so I terms of the cysts getting pregnant is prob one of the best things that could have happened! I really hope they shrink! All the best and congrats to u too! Xx
    • Posted

Yeah, pretty much! I think you'll be fine! Just enjoy your good news and don't worry about cysts! smile x
  • Posted

I have a scan in the morning to see what's going on in my abdomen - like you, my normal GP told me my mild pain was IBS. That was 2 years ago, but recently it seems more noticeable and I've had unexpected bleeding - I'm on Cerazette and have not had periods for 7 years!! Lucky me eh? ;0) Different GP examined me and told me bleeding probably from an erosion but referred me for scan.

Since then, I've had some sort of prolapse and cramps. Haven't bothered seeing GP again due to scan appt. Hoping they might be able to identify what has prolapsed. Panicking a bit tbh, I believe I'm pre-menopausal, which makes a prolapse more unusual. Imagining all sorts.

Not had this type of scan before, will they just be looking at ovaries, anyone experienced know? Hoping it can all be cleared up in one go and not drag on. My worst fear is that they'll tell me nothing's wrong but I know what I can feel, albeit only mild discomfort/pain.

• Posted

Hope your scan goes ok, I had an ultrasound to check my abdomen and my pelvis, they looked at all my organs, I had an external scan and an internal one. I found the internal scan quite painful as it must have been pressing right on the cyst, but it doesn't last long, most likely if they just looking at your ovaries they will do an internal scan, the probe is inserted into the vagina, she told me straight away the findings, now I waiting to go back to doc and see what happens now. My pain I get can be really extreme, I nearly went to A&E last month but didn't if I experience pain like that again I will go to A&E next time. Sorry to hear you have a prolapse, I hope u have a good doctor? Fingers crossed it is nothing serious. Let me know how you get on. X 
  • Posted

Thanks ever so much for the advice. The appt letter says US Pelvis so guess they'll be looking at everything. Was hoping I'd have some info straight away, been feeling quite anxious since the prolapse 2 weeks ago. Wish I'd gone back to GP earlier to find out what type of prolapse it is, and if it might be linked to the other pain. 

My normal GP has no time for me, that's the impression I get lately anyway, but she is leaving the practice soon! Was glad to see a different doc at my last visit tbh.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll know more this time tomorrow. Hope your pain doesn't flare up too badly and you get some answers :0)

• Posted

Hi there, let us know how you got on at your scan. Was it ultra sound or mri?

• Posted

Well it looks like I'm outta this group!! Apparently uterus and ovaries look normal. Just had an US. She said I'd have to see GP about the prolapse and to consider whether it may be bowel or bladder related. Appt on Thursday.

I am wondering whether the prolapse has been coming for a while and it is that causing my symptoms, I suspect it's my bladder and I feel quite sore after all the pressure from the scan. I also need to find out where I am as regards menopause.

So can I safely assume I have no cysts, or has anyone else ever had a negative result proved wrong?? Good luck to you all x

• Posted

Hopefully you will get some answers soon, I guess it's the not knowing isn't that's hard. Trust your instincts and listen to your body. Best of luck x 
    • Posted

Awesome news for you cheesygrin Congratulations and best wishes, Deb xx
    • Posted

Awwwww thank you so much! I am delighted! And apparently the cysts should shrink to! Double bonus! Need to find a way of celebrating now that doesn't involve alchole ! Chocolate perhaps? X 
  • Posted

You have the same sized cysts as me.  I have had intermittant pain in left ovary for over a year, my gp said it was muscular so I ignored it.  However, got more freuqent so went back and had an ultra sound.  They have found a 5 x 2 cm 'mass' on left ovary and 2cm cyst on right.  I am worried about the mass as they only THINK it is a cyst.  I have to have an mri to confirm that is all it is and I am waiting for that.  Obviously very worrying.  The consultatn told me - assuming it is a cyst, they wil remove the ovary. I think it dpends on age etc, I am 50 so happy to have it out, in fact i want it out!  I would be interested to hear if your symptoms, are they same as mine.  I have pain in my groin and into my hip, sometimes lower back (but I have a back problems anyway).  Sometimes the pain feels like it's in my womb, sometimes like a dragging, period like pain.  And, even more weird even tho doc not worried about the 2cm cysts on right ovary, I often get the same type of pain there, though not as frequent and not as intense.
    • Posted

Hopefully you will get some answers after the MRI and in your case surgery would probably be a good thing. I'm 33 I have always had painful periods. Was previously on birth control ( BC)and periods were still painful but more bearable. Last year came off BC as TTC, I am already blessed with a10 year old daughter, so if I don't get pregnant I guess it won't the end of the world. Anyway since coming off BC my periods got worse and worse, the last 2 really were the worse pain I have ever had, just didn't feel like my doc was taking me seriously or believing me, I think she thought I was exaggerating it. Anyway my symptoms have been lower pelvis pain, groin pain- I thought it felt like my lymph nodes, indigestion, acid, major bloating, back pain- feels like my kidneys, nausea, frequency to urinate, constipation, generally feeling unwell, sluggish fatigued most of the time, light periods, when the pain is at it's worse I can't drive, work, and painkillers don't work and pain usually lasts around 2 weeks around the time of my period. Think it starts around the time if ovulation but seems to be for a couple of days, then again a week before and after my period, till a week after my period. My doc was so insistent that it was IBS possibly cause I am constipated, she said it couldn't be period related as lasts too long. I feel so angry, It was only when I happened to see a different doc as my regular one was away that she refered me for the scan, if it wasn't for her my usual doc would still be trying to convince me it was IBS.  I really am considering going to see a different GP in the future, she's been my doc for 8 yrs but lost faith in her now. The radiologist didn't seem concerned about my 2cm cyst either, she said they can grow that size as part of the normal cycle. Anyway I hope you get some answers, let me know how it goes. Xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.