Newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hey, very new to this site so not sure how it all works yet. I'm 23 and I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last week after Rheumatologist ruled out all other diseases. Not going to lie, I'm finding it quite tough - especially as I have a small child to look after too. My symptoms are mainly just joint related ie, very stiff in the morning all over my body (walking like I have wooden legs), very clicky joints (almost as if they part-dislocate sometimes, especially my elbows) and I also get tired really easily. My main problem at the minute though are my very sore feet. My job involves me being on my feet up to 9hrs somedays and it's agony! (My Rheumatologist suggested I may need a career change) BUT I really don't want to leave if I don't have to. The pain in my feet (heel and ankle pain especially) often makes me feel sick it hurts so bad. Even co-codamols don't touch it. Anyone else with the same/similar problem with their feet? Will it go, like all the other symptoms that seem to 'move' around my body.  I'm on 10mg of some anti-depressant (can't remember the name, begins with an 'A') at night. 

Thanks

8 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My feet were really bad years ago.  If you have a shoe store that knows anything about feet or some web sites that have suggestions a good shoe is a must.  My dr. said some antidepressants side effects are sore feet and he changed my antidepressent which helped a lot.  Other than that foot soaks, and stretches.  A golf ball or tennis ball under the feet when you are sitting and using the ball to knead the foot muscles.  Anyway it did move from my feet to a point and went elsewhere for awhile....the hips and knees.  As for the hands, I do have stiff hands, but found hand exercises just before i got out of bed in the morning and before sleep at night helped a lot.  Again stretching the hands and touching each finger with the thumb.  Making a fist as best you can and then releasing in a big stretch.  Hope that helps a bit.  Oh and epsom salt soaks are great and add magnesium through your skin.  Pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium as well. 
  • Posted

I suffer with my feet i have been told i have arthritis of the spine but the feeling of exhaustion, wooden legs , restless legs at night, feel like i have been kicked around a football pitch some days. I have the clicky joints and back spasms I also take amitriptyline is that what yu mean ?

• Posted

I know how you feel I'm going thru it right now can't even.stand..I find using.water bottles frozen and rubbing your feet on them.really does help and staying.off them.is.impossible with young ones so a Paraffin wax tub u can can buy at wall Mart pulse wax works wonders try to

• Posted

Evening ladies!

I've not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but I have a lot of the symptoms?

Recently, I've been struggling to get IBS symptoms in check, taking copamol daily. My shoulders and elbows have ached on and off for around 3/4 years now, and these last few weeks, my wrists hurt on occasion too... My pelvis and low back hurt like merry hell some mornings, and I feel sick with the pain. My feet are the worst ever, it's like they're broken, and at night time, I can't stand the feel of them touching the mattress, so I have to lay on my tummy, so they're not buzzing? This is ok, but where my foot is stretched like I'm on tip toe, my ankle joint is painful for hours on waking?

I suffer with restless legs, and it has been known to keep me awake most of the night?

Individually, I have been to my GP for some of the pains, even having had two blood tests because of painful, swollen hands, but no arthritis showed?

Some days, I feel like I've been hit by a truck, do yo soeak, but have no idea why?!

I'm 51 in a few weeks and begrudge the way my body behaves...

What do you think ladies, is it likely I'm suffering too?

Any suggestions would be fabulous?

Happy evening

Amanda xx

• Posted

Hey!! You've described the awful sore feet so well! You're symptoms sound very similar to mine when I first wrote this. I also had restless leg syndrome and it never woke me up, but did my partner, he thought I was fitting the first time it happened! My restless legs didn't last long at all and my feet got better (not 100%) but a lot more manageable! I'm lucky, I got pregnant and all symptoms vanished and 2 years on I'm still very lucky. I only have flare ups if I'm poorly. Hamg on in there, it'll get better xxx

• Posted

Hi I really feel for you my daughter has had fibro since 14 she 24 nw after many different meds tests trial an error she also suffered fm migraines.... found wht works for her she uses Trepiline 25mg at night An Lyrica 75mg in morning that lyrica really help her cope wth the body pain burning sensations she also used Cilift 20mg for year an all migraines stopped.....still has bad days but coping..... its a terrible thing to have cause it causes so many aches pains exhaustion an people just don't understand.....

• Posted

Hi, I just read your post. So sorry to hear your struggling with Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed last year with it. The year before I was diagnosed with RA and OA also Osteoporosis of my spine. I have more problems with the Fibromyalgia than any of the others.

It's very difficult to find a balanced way of dealing with Fibromyalgia. At first I wasn't sure which was giving me the pain the Fibromyalgia or the RA/OA ?

Some days are OK some are pretty awful.

I suffer badly with my legs and feet. Some days I can't even walk because the muscles in my legs are so painful and tight. I can just about make it up my stairs. By the time I reach the 9th stair my muscles are burning with pain and I have to pull my self up the last few steps.

Lately my feet have become so sore. I bought some school inner soles the gel ones. They do help but the longer your on your feet will make the pain worse anyway.

I find soaking my feet in radox bath salts in a foot spa really helps and I've also tried reflexology.

Unfortunately there aren't many options open to Fibromyalgia sufferes. However you may want to enquire at your GP's practice about Hydrotherapy. This really helps all your muscles and joints. I have this organised by my GP through the physiotherapy department at my local Hospital.

Maybe you should look into it as it certainly helps even it is only briefly.

I think the drug you are referring to maybe Amitriptyline.

Good luck hope you find something that helps you soon.

KS

• Posted

I have it also and if you're taking meds and it starts with an a I think it's Amitriptilline I take those! Hope you feel better

• Posted

Hi is ur symptoms still improved ? Did u have any trouble coming off amitryptiline ? How long were u on them.. thanks
  • Posted

Yes i can totally relate to the stiffness,,, I was diagnosed 3 years ago and all because of a stiff neck and shouldr strain.. I was given muscle relaxers and took one once in a while..but about one month ago i found i could not stand after kneeling...Freeked out...I ride my bike and walk everyday..yes it helps about 10%..but i need something much stronger now.. i hate doctors ...has/have you or anyone found a medication or food or anything that works? I drink Tumeric tea for inflamation but it barely does anything..I am 54 so i am older but not ready to retire due to lack of mobility.. I was told it could also be menopause since i was late going into that.  I freeze up and get depressed with the dull pain all day.
    • Posted

Try Vitamin Worlds turmeric capsules and take it with a fat and black pepper. Try something like fried eggs. Also, change your diet to non gmo's. I buy my food at trader joes because all their food is non GMO.

• Posted

You are probably taking Amitriptyline. I can't offer you a solution but i am experiencing awful foot and ankle pain and finding walking and standing very difficult.

• Posted

I was diagnosed two years ago with fibromyalgia after being diagnosed with degenerative joint disease a few years before that and honestly I haven't found anything to help me and summer months are the worst .right now I am struggling with stiff joints and burning in my upper back. I do howerec find some relief when possible by just swimming when it is cool outside . Good luck.

• Posted

It might be a little too late but buy Shoes For Crews shoes and you'll see a huge difference in your feet.

• Posted

hi hun dont think u ever get used to it im 33 had it ten years u name it im on it yeah its bad but we can still live in a way theres worse people i suppose and we have to think ov that but yeah it gets u down it does but having someone to listen is a good medicine in its own way 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.