Newly diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of both knees

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I have been struggling to work & walk for last 8 months & kept being fobbed off with u have probably pulled a muscle etc each visit to complain of pain. Finally managed to get xrays & then my gp phoned me & diagnosed me with oa in both knees, he told me to collect anti inflammorties, cocodamol & tummy protectors & await physio referral...that was 8 weeks ago. I still can hardly walk. I live upstairs of a converted house in a council flat, so struggle to get in & out of my property, I was on reduced hours at work as a carer in the community as was struggling to drive to each patient & was needing more care than the patients I was seeing! I then went sick for 4 weeks & still no improvement so it was agreed I should leave sad Life sucks atm, I am putting on more & more weight, stuck up here unable to do simple things like take a bath unaided & been told I can't have a shower even if I pay for it to be fitted etc by the council as my property isn't suitable for it. I can't do housework without a real struggle, take a walk etc. Sorry for moaning but feel totally alone sad

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, moan away, I've been crying all weekend, my spine is killing me and was told my first disc has gone and the rest are following. I need to lose three stone but I don't know how. They've referred me to physio but they can't even give me a consult until three months time. I have to work so do it in pain and I've now had enough. Please shoot me! Lol 
  • Posted

Hi Pixie, I really feel for you hun.  If the painkillers aren't working for you, then you need to go back to your GP.  Maybe you can also contact the council for help to get a downstairs flat or a bungalow.  Your GP might help with this.  I know it will all take time but you need to look to the future and try not to let it get you down.  I realise it's not easy.  Living with pain is not hard but believe it ir not it is something you get used to.  We all struggle with day to day activities but you find ways to cope.  Try to co-ordinate your painkillers with what you have to do.  If I go out I make sure I have my painkillers at least 30 minutes before.  My GP has prescribed Piroxicam gel, I find that helps a little.  Perhaps something similar could help you, or you could try a TENS machine.  Ask for a referral for physio.  Sometimes you have to be very persistent with GPs to make them realise how much pain you are in, but remember you're not alone.  I'm sure others will be along with advice and suggestions.  Oh, and if you can't have a bath just have a strip wash.  I know it's not the same but it's better than struggling to get in and out.  I hope things improve for you and you get that pain under control xxx
  • Posted

Hi Lindsay & Celsb, I am just so glad my stairs are not communal lol, I go up & down them like a 2 year old! I am in constant pain, I have been crying a lot this weekend, not only as in so much pain but because feel totally useless! I will make another appointment with the GP about it. I have put a plastic shower hose on my taps even though I am not allowed to cos I need to wash! I have been asking the council to either move me or put walking aids/shower etc in our place but all they have said is look for an exchange, I have been on the exchange list for 8 years & actively looking. I have 2 teenage girls so not allowed a bungalow as they are for over 50's or couple with no children. I am only 40. I have 4 stone to lose somehow! I am waiting for a physio appointment to come through the post, I guess it is all new & a random phone call from the GP was a complete shock & I didn't ask questions or anything x
    • Posted

I don't want to tell you something you already know, but losing that 4 stone will really help your poor knees.  I went to WW and got down to my goal but it has been creeping up a bit just lately.  I downloaded an app to my ipad by Glenn Harrold - 'Losing Weight'.  It was only £3.99 and although I was really sceptical it has given me so much motivation and I have lost 6 lbs in two weeks.  I am thrilled to bits.  I just don't want tyo overeat now.  I would never have believed it!  It also sends me to sleep and I sleep like a baby.  I highly recommend it.  

No, I don't have shares biggrin 

• Posted

I was on a diet for 7 months, 1400 calories, squats, jogging (made my spine worse but kept at it), sit ups and press ups and I didn't lose a pound. I got tested for thyroid and nothing. I did weightwatchers for four months of those 7 and nothing happened. I also have ulcerated colitis so am on other meds too and had steroids which made me put on the weight in the first place. I just am stuck. I will give yours a go and see what happens
    • Posted

That must be awful Lindsay, putting all that effort in and not getting results.  If you do try the hypnosis app let me know how it goes.  It had good reviews but I didn't think it would work for me.  Good luck xxx
    • Posted

I have downloaded this & used it for the last 2 nights but fell asleep before it finished both times lol. I will let u know how I get on! 
    • Posted

If nothig else, it certainly helps you to sleep then smile
    • Posted

It sure does, still haven't caught the last half of the track yet lol 
  • Posted

Hi pixie, I've actually written to my gp today to do something constructive and helpful, so just keep bothering yours, also ask him to write to the council saying how you need ground floor accommodation or your flat sorted so you can get round easier. Change your painkillers if they don't work, mine are useless during menstruation and the pain fifty times worse.is yours worse then? 
  • Posted

Yes it was, then after the oesteoarthritis diagnosis they've come back with my spine discs are disappearing, then given me codeine and left me. I'm going to try different stuff until it works, I'm looking for a treadmill and I am going to keep fit. Exercise is very good for os, so the more you can do the better, so do as much as you can pixie. 
  • Posted

I am on an implant which stops all periods for me smile I was on the injection prior to that. I have lost 3 stone with slimming world but I am stuck, I have shaken my diet up, cut back on syns, increased syns, nothing! Others hit the gym at that point, I also have slipping patella, my right knee dislocates even if I am my ideal weight although it hasn't gone in a while (touch wood) through out my teens & 20's I seemed to be almost constantly either in plaster or physio for my escaping knee, which is what has caused the oa of course! Now my left knee has it too due to change of posture while walking. If your app is available on android google play, I will give it a go, thanks smile
  • Posted

Yes it was, then after the oesteoarthritis diagnosis they've come back with my spine discs are disappearing, then given me codeine and left me. I'm going to try different stuff until it works, I'm looking for a treadmill and I am going to keep fit. Exercise is very good for os, so the more you can do the better.

• Posted

poor you , i know how you feel , go back to your gp and ask him for help , and if need push it ,i joined a sceam called paris recomended by my gp , its at a gym you will have a trainer trained to help you , sounds scary but its not they will help and put you where you need it most ,there are always lots of other people just like you ,you can takl to them or not its up to you , its not all poeple who trian all the time , i deciede to swim and love it ,i got to swim 2 miles before my tkr and have got back after the opp now im having the other knee done on monday . your gp should be able to help you in your home too ,smile

• Posted

oh and you will be able to claim if your not working due to yourhealth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.