Newly diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of both knees

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I have been struggling to work & walk for last 8 months & kept being fobbed off with u have probably pulled a muscle etc each visit to complain of pain. Finally managed to get xrays & then my gp phoned me & diagnosed me with oa in both knees, he told me to collect anti inflammorties, cocodamol & tummy protectors & await physio referral...that was 8 weeks ago. I still can hardly walk. I live upstairs of a converted house in a council flat, so struggle to get in & out of my property, I was on reduced hours at work as a carer in the community as was struggling to drive to each patient & was needing more care than the patients I was seeing! I then went sick for 4 weeks & still no improvement so it was agreed I should leave sad Life sucks atm, I am putting on more & more weight, stuck up here unable to do simple things like take a bath unaided & been told I can't have a shower even if I pay for it to be fitted etc by the council as my property isn't suitable for it. I can't do housework without a real struggle, take a walk etc. Sorry for moaning but feel totally alone sad

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi pixienix73. Sorry to hear that.  Perhaps with the medications and physio treatments you will feel better. One of the things I do is eat when I feel bad... which is bad for overweight people like us. So I try to divert my attention. I read a good book or watch a good movie. If I feel peckish, I will try and pick some low calorie stuff like sugar free gum, cellery sticks to pacify my cravings.

Just know that you are not alone in this... Take care. :-)

• Posted

Well I went back to my gp, he gave me some stronger co codamols & a load more naproxin & tummy beans, he said there was no gym membership scemes or support groups locally that I could join & they don't help with housing now days as councils don't have properties to dish out these days so was generally very unhelpful! The council told me to keep searching for an exchange, as I have been for the last 8 years! I am not sure what & how to claim anything or what I am entitled to so if anyone could advise me or point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful smile 
    • Posted

You could try your local councillor or MP, or ask the council to put a chair lift in.  That'll scare 'em!
    • Posted

I have been back on the phone to the housing office & they have agreed to send out waiting list register forms & she said to add a copy of my xray results, explain how I struggle & what meds I am on etc & she would see if she could put me on the waiting list for more suitable accomodation smile
    • Posted

That sounds promising.  You might get a nice ground floor flat or even a bungalow.  Good luck!  We all expect to be invited to the housewarming :D
    • Posted

I would be extremely lucky to get a bungalow lol, would be a great way to meet up wink
    • Posted

Just think how ridiculous we would all look trying to dance lol redface
    • Posted

Hahaha, we would all be in the same state at least!
  • Posted

Hi Pixienix

I've just come on to this thread {been away for a while} A lot of GP's think "Oh wear and tear" thats nothing......they dont have it......you have to be persisntant and if they wont help {re pain relief} change doctors.

I really feel for you being upstairs and struggling......thats enough to bring on depression. As for taking a bath......can you not put a bath board across the bath  and bath from there? Not ideal but its better than nothing.

Our area doesnt have gyms with personal trainers {well not a scheme because you are ill} Possibly if you paid for a personal trainer....HA!!!

I went to slimming world and lost weight....I tried WW but I didnt find it as good.

I know i couldnt do exercises......I do chair based ones.....go to chair based zumba and chair based yoga as well.

Keep moaning if it helps at all...we are all in pain of some sort or other.

Me.....its my spine and hips

Love

Eileen

• Posted

My gp was very unsympathetic! I have been to slimming world & still follow it although I haven't been to group for a long time, I got stuck at a 3 stone loss & tried alsorts to shake it up & just couldn't shift anything extra so I decided it was a waste of a fiver a week, I couldn't get there now anyway! I will look into chair based zumba & yoga, not heard of that before! Thanks 
    • Posted

Hi Pixienix

Where are you ...UK?  I lose track. I'm in the north east

I got to a local arthritis care group and the zumba and yoga is from them. This might get deleted. PM me if you want to thats if you get the post LOL

Eileen

• Posted

I am down on the South coast in fareham which is inbetween Southampton & Portsmouth. There are groups in Pompy which is only 7 miles away from me but I can't join because I have the wrong postcode! Stupid really!
  • Posted

Hi

Are you sure its the main arthitis care branch....I'm not in their postcode either.

I drive about 30 minutes to get to mine but they are quite happy with that.

Its not just an off shoot of the main branch is it.

I've had posts deleted before for mentioning them so I'll go no further but if I can find out anything I'll pm you

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Ok thank you, that would be helpful, I asked at the GP & he said are u a 16 post code or a 6 & I said a 16 & he said there was nothing available to me, if I lived less than a mile away east, I would be able to join, madness if u ask me!
    • Posted

I agree...madness indeed

Go to them rather than the doc and see what they say

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.