Feel better not worse my doc won't do anything else now until

I have my next blood test at the end of June if anyone can advise

I would really appreciate it I take my meds in the morning and I also

Have to take iron

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, heart pounding and feeling jittery can sometimes mean that you are taking too much (although it can be your body adjusting). I would give it eight weeks in total and if you are still suffering go back to your GP. Your blood results should also hopefully show up if you are taking too much. Usually they increase medication by 25mg at a time rather than 50 as that's quite a big jump.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah.  Firstly, it's a relief when you know that the reason you've been feeling crap for so long has a reason.  Secondly, you need to get your meds sorted so that they're doing the job and not making you feel even worse.  If you have a pounding heart, insist that your Doctor listens because that isn't right.  You might need an additional medication to control it.  I know from my own experience that it's horrible and frightening and you shouldn't have to be suffering from that.  50 to 100mcg in one jump sounds a bit excessive to me and I'd bet that is the reason for your new symptoms, so maybe consider cutting it to 75mcg (with your Doctor's agreement) for the time being.  Take your thyroxine at least an hour before food - in the morning and with plenty of water.  Keep us informed about how things are going, and I sincerely hope you start to feel better soon.    
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply my head is still banging and my

heart still pounding I do still have some 50mcg left so I'm wondering

whether to just take the 50 until I can speak to doc which won't be

Untill Tuesday now if I took 75 I would have to break one in half

Would that be okay to do ??

• Posted

Sarah, if I were you I'd reduce the dose to 75mcg and see how you go for a day or so.  Yes, break a tablet in half.  In my opinion, it's better to take too little levothyroxine than too much.  If you've been suffering for years and have only just been diagnosed I really can't see that it would do you any harm - certainly until you speak to your doc.   I've experienced the banging heart and it's really frightening. Cut down tomorrow and Monday and tell us how you feel.    
    • Posted

Hi thanks again for your reply I have only taken 50 today as I didn't see your reply until

Now the thing that bugs me is they increased me to 100 without doing

A blood test how can that be right I'm not due a blood test until

June 15th I'm seriously thinking of changing docs as everyone I

Speak to says you only adjust your meds on having a blood test

• Posted

Your doc does seem a bit casual about the whole affair and, if he/she won't listen to you about how you are feeling and how the meds are affecting you, I'd certainly consider changing.  I think a lot of doctors don't have a full understanding of thyroid problems.  Im lucky that mine does, and listens to me, but I can imagine how frustrated I'd be if I couldn't make her understand.  It seems very odd to me that your doc increased your dose from 50mcg - 100mcg without doing a blood test first.  As you've now dropped down to 50mcg, I'd advise you to stay on that until you've had your blood tested again, and hopefully the thumping heart and headaches will ease.  After all, you've probably had thyroid symptoms for a very long time so a couple more weeks on a lower dose won't do you any harm.  Mind you, that's just my opinion - maybe Shelley can reassure you about that.  
  • Posted

They may be caused by taking a higher dose of meds. I have heard of others getting the pounding heart and jitters due to higher dosage. Luckily mine never effected me that way been taking it 4 yrs now and I take 175. Hope it gets better for you.
  • Posted

I wouldn't go back to 50. You were increased because your doc thinks you need more to bring your tsh down.

If you lower dosage now after having the 100 in your system, your blood tests won't give a true reading. How long have you been on the 100 for?

• Posted

Hi Sarah, im happy that you have a diagnosis. 5 years is a long time to feel unwell. I was about that long too and I was very anxious about my health. Can I ask what your TSH was?
  • Posted

Hello Sara:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Sorry to hear about the heart racing. Levo comes in 25mcg, 50mcg, 75mcg and 100, etc...when you go onto a higher dose it sort of shocks the body.  75mcg would have been the next step.

You can call the doctor and ask for that dose 75mcg. Doctors understand and I would do this first.   Or you can wean into the 100mcg by taking 50mcg 4 times a week and then 100mcg the other 3 days.  This way your body can get used to it.  These hormones pack a punch!  Do it slowly take weeks and slowly add up to it.

Headaches, loose bowels, jittery feelings, heart racing are signs of too high a dose.  It is making you feel Hyperthyroid. 

Alway take Levo 1 hour before food and with water only.  Food blocks the med from working. Some people like to tak it at bedtime or early mornings.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi the thing that is worrying me is that they put me up to 100 without doing a second blood test

So I have dropped back to taking 50 until my second blood test on June 15 I only took 100 for three

Days but now I'm wondering if the second blood test will give a true reading

• Posted

Hello Sara:

Stay on the dose that you feel okay on.  Ask for a new TSH, T4 and T3 tests before changing to a higher one 

You can tell your doctor that 100mcg was too strong and you need 75mcg.  If you would like to try a it higher dose try and cut (get a pill cutter at the store), take the 100mcg and cut it in half and then again in one-half and add that small bit to your 50mcg one.  I have done this when I changed doses also. After all we are the ones taking it and we know our bodies better. 

Always go up or down in dose by 25% increments. Do what makes you feel well. 

I hope this helps,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.