Newly Prescribed

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello I’m on day 4 of lexapro. I finally made a doctors appointment after years of anxiety and most likely depression. A few months ago i found out my dad had leukemia. I had to make an appointment to try something and this is what the doctor prescribed me. I’ve always had high expectations  in myself but never could achieve them for years because of paranoia and anxiety. Now that my dad is facing a serious condition i know I have to be strong and went to a doctor.  Would like some input on what to expect with this drug. I drink alcohol but not daily it usually is once a week but heavy when I do.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Amani81 . My experience. My father was diagnosed with n-stage lung cancer the end of January this year. He died February 28th. I was with him every day in February, yes it was difficult. It obviously pushed me over an edge. He was having problems for a couple months beforehand and I had problems with insomnia at one point had been up 76 hours so my doc prescribed ambien, which got me to sleep . But nights were tense, anxious. Once Dad was gone, the anxiety started earlier each day and it got to where it started every day about 2:00pm. Painfull, dripping sweat, extreme hot flashes, not enough air, closed in. One night in April I was in the backyard, standing in the dark in the rain throwing up. I'll tell you I was going crazy and as far as I was concerned, I was dying. Then I connected with a new doc, was pretty open with him and let him know I was in trouble. I was. He put me on 20mg lexapro per day and prescribed 1mg Xanax as needed. The next 4 days were difficult, as is the case with many getting on lexapro. Then things calmed down. A week later I felt at ease and for 4 weeks I took both the lexapro and a xanax every day. I don't think I have been that calm in years. Knowing the addiction issues with xanax, over the next 6 weeks I wound myself off it. I have a bottle, and once in a while I will take a half of one. Maybe once every couple weeks. I'm sticking to the 20mg, I tried once dropping to 15mg but the sweats came back quickly. So I'm sticking with 20mg. I do have some side effects. Dry mouth, big time yawning after taking it so I now take after dinner. And it does make getting to orgasm difficult. At least for me and is a common side effect. But I am confident with myself and at ease. Seriously, I was dying. Today I enjoy every day. It's only been thee months, but I'm a thankful patient so far. We are all different and each of these mind changing drugs work differently for each of us. For me, lexapro was life saving for now. A year from now maybe different. My best thoughts for you, keep working with a doc and hope you find the same. Best regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.