Newly treated!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I had a high TSH back in 2013, it was 23 (0.2 - 4.2) FT4 10.2 (12 - 22) treatment was started in Nov 2017 and my thyroid levels are

TSH 6.1 (0.2 - 4.2)

FT4 12.8 (12 - 22)

FT3 4.0 (3.1 - 6.8)

Thyroid peroxidase antibody 804 (<34)

Thyroglobulin antibody 285.3 (<115)

Symptoms are constipation, thinning hair, tiredness, feeling cold, sweats, dizziness, weight gain, joint pain and heavy periods 

Are they all hypothyroid symptoms?

Thanks 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your TSH is still elevated. Your FT3 and FT4 are low normal. You can use a higher dose. Make sure your Vit B12 and Folate are near the upper levels or even above...My serum Vit B12 is above 1300. But that is what I need to keep MMA results low enough. MMA is toxic in higher ranges. Vit B12 and Folate deficiencies common in hypo can cause a lot of symptoms and worse central nervous and cognitive problems. Your dizziness can be from this. Do you get dizzy when you get up from reclining position? That's too low blood pressure and your blood isn't getting to your brain quick enough. Orthostatic hypotension. But dizziness can come from inner ear problems, anemia etc. Also Vit C Bcomplex, Selenium Zinc Magnesium are most important to support thyroid function. BUT do NOT take BIOTIN ...a B vit before your lab tests (not just thyroid tests just about every test especially hormone and any type of antibody test). Biotin is used is many labs and if you took it 12hrs even more before test it can falsely DECREASE TSH. or FALSELY INCREASE T4 T3 and give FALSE ANTIBODY results sometimes too high. Not many doctors know this though most of they were told years ago.

• Posted

I get dizziness yes. I have never taken biotin

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi 

Yes all your symptoms are linked to hypothyroidism.

When you had your Nov 17 bloods, did you have an increase in your meds?

• Posted

Hi Jojo, you’re stil hypothyroid, by your blood tests.

The symtoms you mention are hypothyroid symptoms. However, many of the symptoms you mention can be worsened by levothyroxin and can even indicate hyperthyroid symptoms- just for future reference. It isn’t easy to differentiate between hypo and hyper symptoms. The extensive side effects of levothyroxin make it even more difficult.

Of the symptoms you mention, I found levothyroxin to lighten and decrease periods significantly, while in the long run  on the levo, hair loss, constipation, gut problems and other symptoms worsened. A lot if people complain of joint pain and dizziness while on the levo. The joint pain, cold sweats and dizziness are all symptoms that can be triggered by the levo. Did you have these symptoms before starting the levo? I found the levo basically decreases  pituitary function, and messes with the hormone system.

Also, are your antibody numbers getting better or worse? Levo is known to cause autoimmune disease. I’d be interested in seeing your antibody numbers before and after levo.

Bottom line- monitor your symptoms closely. In the end, you need to be able to make decisions about your medication and thyroid treatment.

• Posted

Autoimmune disease causes autoimmune diseases NOT levothyroxine. Levo or any thyroid med can help LOWER antibodies. With levothyroxine and taking vit and minerals my antibodies dropped from 1000s to less than 10. I wasn't trying to do it they just dropped didnt give up dairy or gluten. My periods were on time and super heavy.

• Posted

Hi  Mar, i had a very different experience. The levothyroxin actually accellerated my thyroid disease,  and I became even more sick until I was bedridden.

I know some people get relief from the levo, but it isnt like i didn’t try- I tried at least 9 different meds, both levo and NDT. The NDT gave me some relief, the Levo just made me sicker. After the Levo, i eventyally gave up onbthe meds because I was so messed up. A lot of people actually worsen from the meds. Im nit particularly sensitive, I just have advanced thyroid disease- a higher dose means more side effects.

Levo is known to cause autoimmune diseases. They used to state this in the side effects that Levo causes fibromialgya, lupis and rhematoid arthritis as well as thyroid cancer and hypothyroid disease...  Don’t know if they still provide that information or not.

• Posted

Sometimes they have to list EVERY side effect even though its obvious that these ppl were reporting what hypo does to you ....by law they still have to list. If I said it made my hair turn grey they would have to list. I never feel the med just feel better. But I know ppl can be sensitive to fillers. Summer makes it a lot easier on the thyroid . Were you bedridden from fatigue.
    • Posted

Hi Mar, i ysed to believe as you do. However, my broken bones, grey hair, arthritis, fibromialgya and liver lesions say the side eccects are very real and people who dont experience side effects are the exception, not the rule.

Companies  only have to list side effects  test subjects report. We are on these meds for life. The test runs are limited time. I have read clinical studies that levo can cause liver lesions at only 25 units for a month.

I had liver lesions after being on this medication only a few months. 

Keep in mind that Synthroid, the original brand if levothyroxin, was grandfathered into the existing (FDA) system less than 20 years ago, and was in use for half a century without neeting any guidelines.

I feel the belief that the side effects listed are for someone else is misleading and harmful.

The fact that we are so desperate makes us willing to try anything, as there are very few options available to us.

I suspect that later on, you may realize that the side effects listed ARE common.

Never in a million years did I imagine in my exhausted desperation, that  I’d  be sitting here five years later with severe broken bones, swollen body, blown up twice my size, pain everywhere, pancreatitis... its taken over two years for my foot to heal and I'm still only swimming to strenthen it, and now my hand is broken with multiple fractures in one finger!!! 

Seriously, I wish someone had at least warned me of the risks, and that docs just tell you to “stay the course and  wait for the meds to work”, when  all the while, they cause more harm than good. There was no support. Its like thyroid oatuents are blamed vecause the meds dont work. We aren't to blame, the meds are inneffective! 

I’m lying in bed trying to contemplate how I'm going to adjust to yet another setback and for how long? 

Better to know the truth about what we’re dealing with than denial.

• Posted

Took Synthroid for 30-plus years. Worked just fine, no side-effects, none. We are all different. Now having some relapse into tiredness etc., but that does not alter the fact that Synthroid gave me my life back when it mattered most. Now retired so can take a nap when I feel like it 😑.

• Posted

Hi Dave think you meant for your comment to go to "MtV.Cath". Nice to hear that Synthroid worked so well for you. Coq10. MethylB12 and Folate Bcomplex can help. Vit A D K2 E. Too busy right now just read...I commented 2x to you but ad came up and then phonecall then couldn't find my comment. Ads BLOCK my typing view sometimes...don't know if it's intentional...but it's PIA.

• Posted

Synthroid and levo affect bone health negative ly no doubt about it....that's major concern w my doctors and. me too. I had very bad hand pains until kenalog inj. Have family hx of. not the best bone health. so its a double threat. This is my 2nd comment to you today the first disappeared. Now an Ad is blocking my typing view. Hope you recover. Forgot what med you are on NOW ...this thread getting very busy.

• Posted

I had symptoms befor starting levo

Antibody numbers before starting levo were

Thyroid peroxidase antibody >2000 (<34)

Thyroglobulin antibody 704 (<115)

Thanks 

• Posted

Do you know thst having UNtreated hypothyroidism will effect every.cell in every organ and could lead to other autoimmune issues and early death and dementia. Think you are confusing the disease process with levothyroxine. I never really felt any sides for over 30yrs and was dxd w severe hypothyroidism. The generics are not always up to par with the dosage .they LIST and the ACTUAL dose in the pills. So ppl may wonder why their TSH increased ...this is the big problem...also vitamins and minerals and foods intefering w absorption. But I wouldnt scare ppl away.from this med especially bc there.isnt much of a choice ...all the roses have thorns...but better than a dead.rose.

• Posted

Mar, I’m well aware of the cobsequences of untreated thyroid disease. I gave advanced thyroid disease.

Truly, the consequences of the meds are worse tgan tge disease, as the levothyroxin nearly killed me. All the while, as I became so sick from it, I was bedridden, docs were still telling me to wait for it to work. Are you kidding me!?  

People deserve to know their options and the consequences of meds.

The reason docs don’t want to diagnose, don't want to medicate IS because the meds are worse than the disease. Docs know it.

I can tell you there was quite a cluster of thyroid patients  in the area I was living when the thyroid disease hit me hard. Of the peopke i know who tried the levo, it didn’t work right for any if them. And in fact all of us have tried various approaches, none truly heal thyroid disease. Of the group, I was on the levo the longest and at the highest doses.  I have tge mist problems. Mysrlf and anothervwonan decelopwd FM following taking levothyroxin. I can assure you that none of the people I know have found levothyroxin to be helpful. 

• Posted

I also agree about not scaring people off levo. I listened to people in the beginning telling me that levo was the devil. I developed health anxiety, then stopped taking it. I felt like death warmed up. Took me twice as long to find my ideal dosage. We have to be careful and supportive towards people on here searching for answers
    • Posted

Catherine, very sorry to hear that you are so unwell. Blaming doctors and the medication is however simply unreasonable. We all want someone to blame when things don’t go well but please understand that ranting is no help to people here looking for help.
    • Posted

The Human Genome Project found a gene mutation that affects many people who have thyroid disease. I cant give you the simple name bc it looks like a abbreviated curse word and they deleted my texts here 2x. Anxiety, fibromyalgia, migraines, thyroid dis, bipolar, etc are linked to this change in methylation enzyme...which is decreased and can cause toxins to buildup. Homocysteine levels are good indicators if you are having troubles in methylation which can cause inflammatory responses throughout the body and problems you complain about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.