NewMe -selincro

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone, help I'm new to selincro - just got it. Just need some advice - is it better to take it two hours before a drink? do you take it first to help reduce the alcohol intake if one is used to having a drink everyday? and then go to AF days ?  I ideally want to not drink during the week and then not drink like a bast--d at the weekend. I'm in Ireland and my Dr said i'm the first he's prescribed Nalmaphene to !!  I have a really good feeling about this like it will be a life changer. have been drinking more over the last few years, next teh weight going on and feeling depressed then the need to drink to drown my sorrows, viscious and dangerous cycle which I am hoping with your help and selincro I can change. I know it will take work but here I am ready to change. I do love a glass of wine or a drink and I'm hoping that this can help and that I do not have to cut it out altogether, I'd rather learn to respect drink and myself !

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm into my first full month of using selincro and believe me it does work but you have to take one tablet before you drink d finitely and over a period of time you won't even fancy one. I don't drink soft drinks as a rule but I've happily gone to a pub and just had a large glass of coke instead of one to two bottles of white wine. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Linda,  well done you   how long before you take the drink do you take the tablet and do you take one every day and eventually have less and less?  how did it work for you ?  I'm going to get back into fitness big time so I think this will work............am very excited by your post. do the cravings just dissappear? that's why i kept wanting wine every night or too much at the weekend - had no stop button! and craved one the next day then

• Posted

I just wanted to be a social drinker and be satisfied with the one drink but that was never the case. Just one taste of the wine and one glass just became more and more. Now I can do easily just have the one after taking my selincro tablet and the following day I don't even think about having one. I too am intent on increasing exercise by swimming once a week and I'm convincing my partner to cycle to the pub and back on a Friday night confident that I'm not going to pass out in a edge on the way home. I could not have got this far without the positive support on this site. My GP knew nothing of selincro and told me he saw drinkers as a lost cause. I am now educating him as his guinea pig.
    • Posted

Linda i'm very impressed sounds exactly the way I want to be - I want to go out to dinner and have a glass or two of wine not wanting to keep going.  did you have any side effects ?  sorry for the questions just trying to get my head around it   have you ever forgotten to take it and had a drink?  
    • Posted

Hi yes side effects included leg cramps and insomnia at night and feeling a bit spaced out but truly could not drink more than one and a half late wines. I did forget to take tablet once but couldn't really drink more than one then so must be working. I don't mind the questions at all because I think it helps us all in same boat.
    • Posted

thanks Linda   when you say one and a half late wines?  glasses?  and when you say one is one glass?  sounds very little

• Posted

How awful he said that about drinkers. I hope he feels very very guilty when the world wakes up to the fact that this is a physical illness and not a lifestyle choice.
    • Posted

you GP should get a grip and feel ashamed of his/her lack of knowledge. You certianly seem to be improving and gradually decreasing your drinking in general. Well done and keep going...     smile
    • Posted

Hi yes I drink very little now and a glass would always be a large one. Before my partner would take me to a country pub in way home from somewhere just for one beer and I would drink the equivalent of a bottle of wine in that short time and then continue when I got home until I fell asleep. None of that now thank to selincro. I think when I think of white wine I see it as a poison. I have even started having half a beer instead which is amazing. I am so pleased I found the people on this site.
    • Posted

hi Linda how are you getting on ?  yes this site is fab, it's great to have others who understand to talk to. I am doing good - reducing i had a bottle of white over the evening yesterday with loads of ice and then I had a whiskey and coke which i shouldnt have because I really didn't want it. I feel I am getitng there as the cravings are going adn i need to breat the habit now and not have it as I don't really want it. how is your consumption?
  • Posted

You take a tablet 1.5 to 2 hours before a drink and do that on ALL days that you have a drink.

Your alcohol intake will reduce naturally because you won't feel the urge to drink as much. Over time your cravings will stop. If you drink to get drunk to drown your sorrows, Nalmefene won't help that, if you drink because you can't stop when you start, Nalmefene will help a lot.

You should take note of the fact that Nalmefene also diminishes the pleasures from other more healthy activities like certain sweet and spicy foods, rollercoaster rides, extreme sports, sex, cuddling babies and seeing cute animals. For this reason, you should plan not to drink and, therefore, not take a tablet, on days you wish to do these other activities.

• Posted

Hi Paul it's more a case of not knowing when to stop with me and this has gotten worse over the years - which led me to gaining weight and this gets me down so if I ease off the drinks the amount - I would be delighted. I know i'll be more inclined to excercise on the days i wont have a drink............this is great i cant wait to get started. going to take a tablet now and then in about two hours have a glass of wine.  i'll keep u posted.  very positive feedback about nalmaphene on this site
    • Posted

Can't wait to hear how you go on.  You sound so positive and that's great.  Good luck to you.  If it works out for you I might be brave enough to ask my doctor if I could try it.

What a lovely name you have!

Keep us posted.

Pat

• Posted

Good luck with it Belinda, I'm using naltrexone which is similar, and two weeks in, I've cut down from having/wanting 5-6 pints a night to no more than 1.5-2. Feel confident I'll be able to have a night or two off the drink soon too.

I found it takes away that constant voice in my head that used to be thinking about getting the next drink when I'd only had two sips of the first.

I met a friend out of town tonight and was able to sit the whole night drinking coke and water like a normal person without craving alcohol and then drive home - I never used to be able to drive after about 4-5pm!

Even though it's only two weeks, I'm starting to lose a bit of my beer belly too although I have found that I've got an appetite that I never had before and I am indulging myself a little bit so watch out for that if you're wanting to lose a bit of weight. Knowing my luck I'll successfully kick the alcohol but you'll find me in the compulsive eating forum instead :-)

• Posted

hi Pat, I took a tablet at 9. am on my first glass of wine, feeling good   I usually drink really fast but this is slowing me down !!!  happy days so far.  Where are y ou based?  sounds like your here too?  by the way you say doctor not GP!!!  how is your drinking ?  my problem is it's just gotten worse - no idea when to stop and then making a show of myself .....and lots of drinking at home.  not good. want to get a grip and still enjoy a drink
    • Posted

Hi Keith, well done - great to hear stories like this.  I will be replacing one habit with another good habit !! running - I am going to get seriously fit - I have let myself go big time, drinking like a b****** and then the next evening twitching trying not to drink but that craving there ah I'll just have one.  Alcohol is so addictive isn't it so I'm getting out of this mad cycle.....I am on my 2nd glass and I feel like I have drank a lot ......I'd normally have the bottle gone ages ago and be hunting around for something else! 

• Posted

It will work, just keep going IF you get side effects, they will get less and less over the first few doses. Not everybody gets the side effects so you may get lucky. Good luck! smile
    • Posted

My reply to you is being moderated !  not sure why I never mentioned another website or anything

• Posted

hey Paul, feeling good, no side effects apart from unsettled sleep but I don't mind that as once I get back to excercise that will sort itself out. I drank a bottle of white last night over a three hour period with lots of ice and felt grand.  I would normally have the bottle gone in the first hour. So that was a good result for my first nihgt.  any idea how it progresses from here? do i gradually loose the interest in it?  One thing I do notice is I'm not craving a drink.  I would normally be getting a feeling and thinking about a few drinks but not now there is no crave. I will have some later on as I'm experimenting with my new pal selincro! 
    • Posted

Hey Belinda, you sound to be doing great, I was just reading your reply to Paul.  It sounds to be working already and I hope it continues that way.  I really appreciate you telling us how you are doing because I am still wondering if I should go down that road.

You asked where I was from ...I am in the north or England.

You also asked about my drinking.  I only drink in the evenings.  I can't seem to get through an evening without a drink, it settles me down and makes me sleep.  When I go out I try really hard not to drink too much, but sometimes I do go overboard and regret it later.  But mainly my problem is that I can't go an evening without a drink.  I have managed to cut it down to 6 or 7 units a night, but even that is hard.

So, that's what is happening with me..... I so hope it works out for you.

Pat xxx

• Posted

Already? not really am now having a whiskey and coke - drank a bottle of wine over the course of the evening. does the med work the more you take it ?     I feel a bit like a failure and I only want to succeed.  although I am looking at the clock and normally i'd have drank a lot more than this on a friday night ...................so I must be making progress

• Posted

Pat, you are my sister!  sounds like it. i familiarise with all of what you have said.   I only ever drank in the evenings......

• Posted

Pat you are so cute   you make me laugh ! we are all in the same battle let's do it together

• Posted

It varies with different people Belinda. Some find that they really don't fancy drinking much at all right from the first time they take the pill. Some find it gradually reduces.

But, like you say, you would normally drink a lot more on a Friday night. Are you having to make a concerted effort to drink less or is it happening without you trying?

• Posted

Hi Paul, drank the bottle of white over the eveing with loads of ice and that whiskey and coke which i didn't really need or want - that was more the habit kicking in of having another one. I def feel like the cravings are going. I have a do on tonight so i will have a few drinks but no more and from tomorrow doing the AF week.  I just don't really feel like drinking which is amazing!  thank you so much for your support you really do know what you are talking about!!  what would hapen if you didnt take the tablet and drank?  just curious more than anything would you just revert?
    • Posted

Yes Belinda. If you drink without taking a tablet, it is exactly the same as before you started taking the drug. You will be very quickly back to square one and far more quickly than you got into trouble in the first place because the body tries to adjust when you take Nalmefene and produces more receptors to try and get the hit from the alcohol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.