News of bad bend

Posted , 12 users are following.

i have been to new consultant today.  X ray ok so must be adhesions.  As I thought. MUA is only offer so I am going for it.  Really not brave so hope for the best.

9 months after TKR.  

Really want this to work.  

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too am having a MUA and so worried I am going to feel worse after it. I don't yet have a surgery day booked as they have to sort out my heart problem first.

It's good to talk to someone who is going through the same thing.

i hope your op is successful and that you are back to normal in no time at all.

linda 

• Posted

Good morning all.  I had mUA yesterday evening and am on a cpr machine. Managing fine.  Doc says not a great success but should now get 90 deg.  I will be happy at that.

will keep posting

carol, Scotland.  9 months tkr

• Posted

Brilliant Carol. I have mine at the end of July along with surgery to straighten. Good to hear it's not too bad x
    • Posted

Hi Kathryn

is your surgery to straighten the knee going to be a full opening up to cut scar tissue, replace spacers and wash out (as I've been advised I will probably need), or are you having some kind of keyhole?  I really don't want my knee opened up again, as it will mean more weeks of work (and I had my knee done last Sept), and a longer recovery period again.

Patsy

• Posted

Hi Patsy,

They are going to do the MUA to remove scar tissue and then an 'Arthroscopic Adesiolysis' to remove muscle adhesions that are preventing straightening. Hopefully it will be 4 holes for camera and equipment. My consent forms do state though that a 'possible open procedure may be required'. My consultant said he can't promise that he won't have to open it up again. Recovery for keyhole will be approx 4-6 weeks (I'm working with a physio to build up strength to help this). Obviously opening it up will set me right back. I apparently need this all doing by mid August at the latest because of something with the muscles (if I'm honest I don't really understand this).

He said worse case scenario would be taking everything out, rinsing and re-setting. That would mean essentially starting the entire recovery again. I am generally quite positive but the thought of that fills me with dread. I know exactly how you feel. Mine has been anything but straight-forward, If it's going to happen to anyone it will be me.

On a more positive note I've taken the plunge and booked to hire a CPM machine for a month around when the surgery is meant to take place. I'm determined it will work this time.

It's like Groundhog Day isn't it? Nothing has improved for me in the last few months. I'm still exercising, icing and having to take the same medication I did at 9 weeks (I'm 18 weeks post now).

I really hope you don't have to have it opening up again. But we've come this far Patsy. We can't let it beat us now. Have they given you any indication of when they're going to do it?

Keep me posted. It's great to hear from someone who understands what it's like to have an on-going recovery.

Kathryn xxx

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

Thanks for the reply and explanation of what you've been told.  My consultant did I give my proposed procedure a name when I last saw him in April, but as usual with me it went in one ear and out the other! 

He told me that it was too early to be done and that I needed to be nearer the 1 year stage (which is Sept).  I was really disappointed, as my knee has really not been straight now since about Feb and got more painful after the MUA in March.  This is a bespoke knee, so I had expected to be walking almost normally by last Christmas.  I work from home, which probably hasn't helped my recovery either, and can drive easily, but I really feel as if my normal life is on hold at present.  I also didn't fancy another period off work and possible recovery issues this Christmas too.  I'm on my own, so 6 weeks of not being able to drive again will be very stressful (and my hospital is a 52 mile round trip).

I'll see my consultant again 23/7 so will update you again then...but let me know what happens with you.

Patsy

• Posted

Fingers crossed he sees you in a few weeks and can get you in and sorted. Hopefully we'll both be back on track and this will all be behind us long before Christmas.

I'm currently working from home as I can't manage the drive into the office. I'm climbing the walls.

My hospital is a 30 min drive each way for me as I had to follow my consultant to the other hospital he works at as he needed access to intensive care & other facilities just in case. My knee is also a tailor made version with some added bits through the shin to hold it up.

It's not great being so different is it? 😜

If you need to vent at anyone I'm here xx

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

Just thought I'd let you know that I've brought forward my next consultant appt to this Weds.  I've had a few days away in Yorkshire and knee has been a nightmare.  I think that my friend was really shocked how bad it is (she hasn't seen me since April).  We did some nice things, but I am crippled when I've sat for a while...so dibilitating.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Hope you are OK?

Patsy

• Posted

Hi Patsy,

Sorry to hear you're struggling. Good that you can see Consultant sooner though. I'm actually in London with my mum for a few days and it hasn't been too bad. Admittedly I haven't walked too far and did bring my crutches (physio said I still need them for distance). I've iced leg each afternoon and kept up with cocodamol and ibruprofen. Managed a show and done some shopping. Home tomorrow but it's been brilliant. I feel quite normal for once.

My surgery date is still set for 29 July so I have everything crossed it won't get moved.

Let me know how you get on tomorrow.

Kathryn xx

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

I saw my consultant this morning and he confirmed that I will need to have an open arthrolysis at the one year stage, so this is now booked in for 25/9.  Thankfully, my insurers have agreed to it without any issue, so that's a relief.

He's also advised me to use a stick at the moment, as my knee is so bent that it's putting a strain on everything else.

Let me know how you get on at the end of July.  I really hope that it goes well for you.

Patsy

• Posted

That's good Patsy, at least you know. Thanks for the update. Yours sounds the same as mine, although they're trying to do mine by keyhole first. For some reason mine needs doing before I reach the 6 month stage but that might have something to do with all the other bits I have in my leg.

A relief to hear that you also still have to use your stick though to help your walk. That's exactly what I was told. Strange how it's a comfort to know someone else is going through the same thing.

I'm just waiting on my pre-op and then should be all good to go for 29th. Will keep in touch xx

• Posted

Hi Carol

ive just had my MUA today, only in theatre 15 mins, hope this will help us both with movement 

• Posted

Mine was abaNdoned as it was possible that leg would break!  Very sad thT I am now stuck with what I have but pleased I have no more pain.

oh well thats life.  Need rest and positive mental attitude

• Posted

oh so sorry about that when i had mua i had keyhole to cut scar tissue because he thought it might break it only worked for a short time for me i had to go back and get the revision when i was in surgery  he tried to bend the knee and it wouldnt budge so he told me that happens sometime and its one of the reasons they do revisions . i think i would have done what your doing now if i had not had pain but unfortunatly i was in severe pain .the best of luck to you
    • Posted

Interesting to hear you say that Carol (if that's the word). I've been warned I stand a higher chance of my leg breaking as I have extra bits through my shin. Mine is scheduled for next month. I also have other surgery planned to straighten it as mine has very limited movement. I know it's not good to not have the leg you envisages but I imagine it's nice to have an end to it, if that makes sense. I'm sure it will soon become your normality x
    • Posted

I felt mixed feelings yesterday but have woken up after 2 sleepless nights a d now a good sleep to think im ok and pain free ! Well almost.  Carol
    • Posted

Thank you and i hope you get good results.  Funny business this.  We go into it with high hopes.  At least this forum lets us know we are not isolated cases.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.