NHS taking forever to give me a detox

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've been seeing nhs alcohol workers for 4 months now. My worker has been saying he's going to put my name down for a bed at a detox hospital since the beginning of June and still hasn't done it yet. The waiting list is 12 weeks.

My appointments are every two weeks and he keeps saying he's going to put my name down for a bed. My last appointment was 12th August and he said it then again and now appointments are every 3 weeks, next one September 2nd.

My money is going down. This habit is costing me £15 a day plus other stuff like tobacco on top. I can't put up with this no longer. I've thought about stopping cold turkey.

Why is it taking so long to get a detox? I'm getting very angry with the nhs.

I drink a litre of vodka a day diluted with blackcurrant. I'm in England and been seeing the alcohol services for 4 months. They keep making me buy booze whilst waiting for a detox on nhs.

I could have paid for a home detox privately and it would have cost much less than what i've spent on alcohol the past 4 months whilst waiting.

Anyway i've had enough and going to stop cold turkey tomorrow. I've really had enough. They will make me carry on drinking for another 3-4 months before getting a detox.

I had £12,000 in savings and it has now dropped to £9700. I can't put up with wasting my life away aswell as my money any longer.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Appointment to see alcohol worker 2 weeks, nurse for detox 3 week. I don't know what to say.

• Posted

So what happened differently this time?
    • Posted

I told them it's draining me mentally, physically and financially. I'm worried about my liver etc... But the nurse appointment was already booked before my appointment.

My alcohol worker wasn't there. I've no idea whats going on but I told them I was desperate. 

• Posted

I've ordered Valium online from a legit pharmacy.

I couldn't take it no longer. I'm going to tell them next week.

• Posted

I'd tell them nothing, because unless you know how to use valium, and by that I mean the correct doses, you could find you finish the course still having a real problem. When you get them, come back and tell us, how many, what strength, your size/weight and your HONEST past drinking for some guidelines.

If you tell them what you have done, they will probably wave you goodbye and you still will need help.

• Posted

The valium hasn't arrived yet but I have slight pains on my upper right back and upper right chest area and I'm sure it's caused by the alcohol. Also my Alt and Ast were both in the 300's 10 week ago but they carry on making me drink whilst waiting.

I'm going to a and e tomorrow.

• Posted

So excited for you for tommorow.

Please let us know how you are when you return.

• Posted

I doubt A&E will help you, the Valium you ordered was off of the internet right? When is your actual detox scheduled for and did you taake my advice not to tell them you had ordered Valium?

• Posted

I haven't seen them since 2nd Sept, I ordered Valium after last appointment because I don't think they want to give me a hospital detox. They're telling me to cut down to less than 20 units for a home detox and I'm finding it difficult.

Next appointment is Friday and I won't tell them that I ordered Valium. The Valium should hopefully be here by then.

Nurse appointment to discuss detox is a week this Friday.

• Posted

If you tell them, then they will probably cancel your detox. No matter how much they annoy you, do not throw it in their face.

BTW, which company did you order Valium from?

• Posted

My nurse appointment is next Wednesday to discuss detox home or hospital. The alcohol worker said today it's going to be more likely hospital.

My Valium arrived this afternoon. I'm not sure whether to take them or wait for detox. There are 60 10mg pills.

• Posted

I think wait, frustrating as it is, be supervised and keep on the system. Good luck. H
  • Posted

I'm on day one and feel great. If I new they were going to take this long I would have done it back then.

I've wasted over £2000 whilst waiting. But what's done is done, I'm not wasting anymore.

• Posted

If taken right, diazepam takes all the cold turkey symptoms away, as well as making sure you don't have any seizures. The only trouble is, a lot of people who drink aren't compos mentis enough to take it properly as per the guidelines and then not drink whilst taking it. Which is why generally people are supervised. Even my GP gave me the wrong instructions the first time around and it didn't go well.

Then Paul eplained that I had probably been given too low a dosage and that everyone is different, which is why people are supervised to make sure they are taking the correct dosage for their condition. But if you are sensible, fairly intelligent and can be regimented with it, then it is an incredibly simple process to detox, if you can be prescribed diazepam.

Your big struggle will come at the end of the week, this will be when you have to defeat alcohol psychologically, which is the hard bit.

PS With the detox, you may want to take a small amount just before bedtime on the first two days, otherwise you can wake up suffering or when you get up in the morning, you are in really bad shape and struggle to get a glass of water and take the next dose. Good luck.

• Posted

Guess what he said last Friday the 16th. I'm putting your name down for a bed, the waiting list is 12 weeks but I'll put a note down. This is why I did it myself.

They have ripped it out of me.

• Posted

The awful sad part of an alcoholic story is you probably will still need that bed in 12 weeks.  So, good your name is on a list.

However, I would try to detox with the medication you have and then be able to say scr*w them when they are finally ready for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.