NHS taking forever to give me a detox

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've been seeing nhs alcohol workers for 4 months now. My worker has been saying he's going to put my name down for a bed at a detox hospital since the beginning of June and still hasn't done it yet. The waiting list is 12 weeks.

My appointments are every two weeks and he keeps saying he's going to put my name down for a bed. My last appointment was 12th August and he said it then again and now appointments are every 3 weeks, next one September 2nd.

My money is going down. This habit is costing me £15 a day plus other stuff like tobacco on top. I can't put up with this no longer. I've thought about stopping cold turkey.

Why is it taking so long to get a detox? I'm getting very angry with the nhs.

I drink a litre of vodka a day diluted with blackcurrant. I'm in England and been seeing the alcohol services for 4 months. They keep making me buy booze whilst waiting for a detox on nhs.

I could have paid for a home detox privately and it would have cost much less than what i've spent on alcohol the past 4 months whilst waiting.

Anyway i've had enough and going to stop cold turkey tomorrow. I've really had enough. They will make me carry on drinking for another 3-4 months before getting a detox.

I had £12,000 in savings and it has now dropped to £9700. I can't put up with wasting my life away aswell as my money any longer.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've tapered the valium down and been sober a week. My appointment is Wednesday, should I tell them I did 8t myself? because they're looking at detoxing me.

• Posted

Yes, probably for the best. But don't try the, you lot took so long, I couldn't be bothered to wait for your. As that won't help anyone.

Try to get them to prescribe Campral, as it will help you not to relapse.

• Posted

I'm happy for you that you tapered down.  Thank God.  Hope you feel better.

• Posted

I know you think I shouldn't tell them about it taking so long but i am very furious at them. I've wasted a quarter a year seeing them and my name is not on the waiting list yet. And it will take another another 3 months for detox.

That means I've been waiting most of this year, more than half a year for them to give me a detox,

• Posted

Well, you can do whatever pleases you. My advice is to think first, what outcome are you trying to achieve? Have a good rant at them, will that make you feel better?

If you must complain, do it in writing without any emotion. And remember, you may want their help in future, bear that in mind.

I speak as someone who has extensive knowledge of dealing with the NHS. I spent the best part of this weekend in an A&E bed (nothing to do with alcohol), and I spend a great deal of time people watching and understanding the system.

• Posted

Hiya

i trust you've been a model patient and done as you were told!

seriously, hope you're feeling a bit better now and had a restful stay in hospital, right up your street ha ha

jane

• Posted

HOw are you keeping Sunny?? Better? Just wondering after 2 months..Regards Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.