Night Cramps

Posted , 37 users are following.

I am 29 and male. Have been suffering for nearly a year now with cramps in both my legs. This happens always when I am at sleep and the pain is truly paralyzing and I can not walk properly for 1 or 2 days. I wake up screaming and can not move. The cramp lasts for 4-5 minutes and some time longer. However it seems even longer when it is happening.

4 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

To all cramp sufferers.... MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY IS THE #1 cause.

Night cramps, growing pains, most musculo skeletal pain can be elimiated completely with this inexpensive suppliment....

Why has no one mentioned this to date.....

After 25yrs of practice it always bares fruitful

Cheer Barb

• Posted

My magnesium is okay.  Think it might be from statins I take.
    • Posted

Definetely the statin medication.  I got off of statins and in one week my leg muscles were gone.  That was a few years ago.  

I am now having leg and severe toe cramps.  I am not on any medication so I need to figure out what is causing my pain.

• Posted

P.S....... if it happen after night of hard drinking it is the alchohol that is a diuretic that robs the body of electrolites and Mg is a key one....so once again folks  Dont drink till you hurt yourself AND/OR TAKE MAGNESIUM.... Osteo Barb
    • Posted

Hi there, I am new on here and on another thread concerning cramps.  I read this with real interest and it sounds like you know what you are talking about.  I take Calcium/Magnes/D3 supplement but only at half the dose it says as I have a really good diet.  However I like to drink red wine and I know alcohol can pull calcium from your body so I will increase the dosage to what the instructions say.

Can I ask you, I like to wear slip on sandals and a pair I have been wearing are getting loose and slip off and so I tend to grip with my toes to keep them on.  My night cramps are happening every night now and I wonder if these shoes should be chucked in the bin!!

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Thank you

G.

• Posted

This recently happens to me last night and I couldn't not walk on it, the pain was crushial and very much painful like if someone was stabbing you in the leg a hole bunch of times, does anyone know how they are caused ?
  • Posted

Hi all,

I have been experiencing these cramps for the past couple of months. In my case I think it has to do with water. I rarely drink the amount of water I should be drinking, therefore this makes my blood more viscous thus making it harder to pass through my veins. Furthermore since I'm laying in a supine position gravity is not helping the flow of blood. I'm guessing this is the reason why sometimes people tell you to get up as fast as you can and jump on it, and it seems to work. Anywho this is just my theory.

• Posted

Hello people,

I have had this for a few years now but it only happens maybe 5 times a year and I read a forum post about a year ago that saved my life and my calf from this nightmare.

If you catch the cramp quick enough what they said to do is pull your foot up and pull your toes back like you are trying to touch your shin with your toes. This has worked for me literally every time I've tried it, and even if you get full on into the cramp it helps if you can remember through the pain to do it. Just crank your toes back as quick as possible.

Hope this makes sense and that it works for you as well as it does for me.

• Posted

Hi, yes this works for me every time.  I don't even have to get out of bed to jump on the leg in question, just pull back the toes and hold and don't stop until it eases, if when you ease off and it starts again, just swear and pull back again and it goes into submission.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have got painful night leg cramps as well, and I have discovered that they go away if you drink water. That's why I now sleep with a bottle of water near me, as soon as I wake up because of the cramps I drink it and the pain disappears in minutes. I also take magnesium salts with lots of water just before going to sleep, it helps a lot.

Give it a try, I am sure you'll do better.

Good luck

• Posted

I have just returned from a camping trip and once again was kept awake for most of the night by leg cramps.  I don't want to abandon camping so would like to share the problem and hopefully get some ideas as to how to resolve it.  Yes I have had them at home in a comfortable bed after too much alcohol so I know this is a cause but this happens rarely.  But increasingly lying on an airbed in a sleeping bag they occur frequently which, as fellow sufferers will know, is very painful especially having to unzip the bag, struggle up from ground level and press hard on the affected leg which I find is the only solution.  I have a very cosy, comfortable XL sleeping bag which keeps me warm, the only difference from my bed at home is that I probably point my toes more and lie on an airbed.  Drinking water helps. Does the toe position have something to do with it? Damp from the ground? The airbed itself?  I am reasonably fit, 63 and my partner who has exactly the same set up doesn't get cramp at all. 

• Posted

This happened to me today but I've recently hurt my knee but it Wasn't bad at all and I could still walk on it but when I woke up today i started screaming and crying but then I started it move it around, it hurt a lot when my leg was straight but I had to bend it to relax my self so I would move your leg around and try and start walking on it to.

• Posted

I get something like this, except that it happens to the tendon behind my left knee. It only hurts for a minute and only once every few nights. It hurts so bad that I wake up screaming, but I go back to sleep right away. It almost seems like I'm passing out because I can't even stay awake long enough to stretch it or do anything. I know it's not a blood clot, but I was wondering if you guys think it sounds like a cramp or something else? I'm 16.

• Posted

It's agony, isn't it. I have found the cure. It's either one or all of three things.

1. I take a multivit and mineral tablet daily in case I am short of essential      minerals.

2. A small glass of tonic water, containing quinnine, before bed.

3. Thick warm socks, preferably straight off the radiator for extra cosiness!

A leccy blanky is very nice as well.

Happy sleeping!

• Posted

Hello Sheila. ..I'll have to come over to you and share your experience with the 3 points you've put forward.

I hope you've got room for one more in your sleeping quarter's. ..for the sake of study only. There is a bottle out made in New Zealand that incorporates at a higher concentration a tonic water...which to my liking ruins anything its mixed with...Quinnene from a part of Peru.

Its a varied history that stopped ships crews getting Scurvy.

T Rex syndrome and Scurvy. ..now that painful.

Regards

Mike. Im in Sydney Australia

...yourself? ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.