Night Cramps

Posted , 37 users are following.

I am 29 and male. Have been suffering for nearly a year now with cramps in both my legs. This happens always when I am at sleep and the pain is truly paralyzing and I can not walk properly for 1 or 2 days. I wake up screaming and can not move. The cramp lasts for 4-5 minutes and some time longer. However it seems even longer when it is happening.

4 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was 17 when I got my first calf cramp while I was sleeping & it was the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced, I stayed lying down & the pain lasted 15 minutes & then went away. For the next 2 days I had a bruised muscle & couldn't walk on that leg.

This happened again like once every 2-3 weeks for around a year then it started to slow down to maybe once every 2 months always while I was sleeping.

On the third time this cramp happened I jumped out of bed & stood on that leg only & to my surprise the pain only lasted around 20 seconds & then stopped also I could continue standing on that leg with very mild bruising to the muscle.

So lying in bed & enduring 15 mins of pain trying to massage or stretch my leg did absolutely nothing but leave a massive bruise & make the next 2 days very hard to walk.. While jumping out of bed & standing directly on the cramping leg for around 20 seconds of excruciating pain is way more bearable. I highly recommend doing so

I'm 26 now & it happens once every 3-4 months & when I feel the cramp coming on I jolt out of bed & in less than a minute I'm fine & back in bed.

Hope this helps someone

• Posted

Hello your post is very similar to me it happens in the evening

And when it happens it's unbelievable! I try to relax and

Throw up at the same time 10 15 mins later it just stops no

Pain. Have you found a solution to yours any advice would be great

Thanks

• Posted

I'm 50 and for about a month I've been having cramps spasm whatever it is so painful I scream out in pain, way more severe than a charlie horse it starts from right above my ankle down to my foot. What is going on?

• Posted

Sorry you have this problem, Yvette, I know how painful it can be. I am no expert and can only repeat what worked for me. A daily multivit and mineral tablet in case I am short of essential minerals. Thick, warm socks and a small glass of  tonic water, one that contains quinnine, not all of them do, before bed. I aslo have an electric blanket but a hot water bottle would help if you haven't got one. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi James, please read my reply to Yvette. Hope it helps.
  • Posted

This happened to me as well. I'm 18 and I had this last night. I was getting ready for bed. (Reading a book) and all of a sudden my leg goes into searing pain. This lasted about 10 min. Afterwards I couldn't even walk it was too hard. It just hurt so much. 

• Posted

I suffered with these for 2 long years and tried everything.

I looked at all my medications and their side effects and had ruled that out. Upon revisiting this theory, realized I had overlooked the Dulera inhaler I have been using for years. Please keep reading there's more.

I overuse this inhaler so I cut back to at the very most, once a day.

One night I used some IcyHot on my calve and foot/ankle muscles because I had had "kill me" cramps in my calves, thighs, ankles, and feet the night or two before. It actually helped the muscles relaxed. I was so grateful.

The next time I felt a cramp coming on, you know the twitching and spasms and stabbing pains that preclude these. I rubbed on my IcyHot stick on the areas in my ankles, calves, and thighs. It helped, cramps avoided. This was about a month ago.

Please, make sure you are aware of all the side effects of your medicatons and anything you put into your body, and take as DIRECTED. Try the IcyHot or a product like it. Keep on trying until you find success, it's out there. My faith is in God and that He will help me find strength, comfort, and a way to get thru this. Keep your eyes on your Higher Power. Hope this helps.

• Posted

what is IcyHot and is it available in Uk please. i cant stand much more of the pain and sleeplessness.

• Posted

I have been able to get my cramps totally under control. For me, it turned out to be a birth defect. Apparently there is a fibrous sheet looking that goes over part of the calf muscle, down to the achielies tendon. On me this thing is like 10 times thicker then normal, and iwith my leg straight, i cant bend my foot back past 90 degrees like im supposed to be able to do. Whats happening is since im unable to bend my foot back, every step i take is as if im walking on my tip toes. Im essentially over working my calf muscles. my calf muscles are huge compared to most people. Also my shoes and socks get worn to heck on the front.

The doctor said to either get a surgery to correct it (cut that sheet thing and wear a boot for 6 weeks). Or drink powerade since the cramps are a sign of too low of electrolytes. I drink 2 or 3 of those zero calorie poweraides a day and haven't had a cramp in 2 years. I like zero calorie blue ones the best, they dont have that nasty aftertaste like regular powerade and gatorade, has. Also when i was having a cramp before, the only way to make them stop was to straighten my leg and pull back on my foot. They went away almost immediately.

• Posted

hi there, did you ever grow out of these cramps?

Hubby does shift work and for the last four months at night before midnight he gets bad leg cramps so bad his whole legs tenses up,.He had a high pain threshold so ireckon this must realy hurt, We know its not magnesium

but he takes pregablalin for his back after an accident,

• Posted

Hi Guest, I have been suffering with the same thing for about 3 years now. It should be checked by a doctor, maybe the cause is easily detected for you, but for most it takes research, trial and error. Just know that is common and you have a lot of people going thru what you are. Dont let it beat you, hang in there~from a fellow sufferer
    • Posted

Thank you, I have an appt with a neurologist in a couple weeks. Started miripex which I reacted badly to, now on a low temp dose of clonazepam till my appt. My anxiety had risen to extreme levels just getting ready for sleep. My doc thinks it could be RLS, due to other symptoms I'm also having. Hope you also find relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.