Night sweats!!!! Arghhh!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi ladies

Had vaginal hysterectomy last August and am feeling great... Until bedtime.

I have read that black cohosh tablets can help with hot flushes, they seem to be so frequent and intense since I had my op bit reluctant as have read the side effects, and also not sure how long you can take them for.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what are you doing for it if anything????

I wasn't keen on HRT as some say they have had to try many before finding one that suits them. Any advice great fully received.... Can't deal with working full time and not sleeping at night because of it.

Cheers ladies

Jo

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jo I had a vaginal hysterectomy in Feb 2015 and am experiencing the same problems. I would be interested in any replies. I have made an appt with my GP later this week to discuss it with her.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Will you let me know how you get on at your appointment? Think I may have to visit mine. They are getting progressively worse...

Jo

• Posted

i had a total abdominal hysterectomy and BSO at end of Jan 2016,i am currently experiencing hot flushes at night and not sleeping.I didnt really want to go down the HRT route,but i fear i may have to.Seeing my gp this thursday regarding this.Currently i am taking Menoforce which is a natural remedy containing Sage for night sweats{Holland and Barret}and basically it isnt working for me....
  • Posted

I tried hrt in the gel but it didn't help so now I'm trying menopace plus which you can buy in the supermarkets on the shelf I see somebody on here talking about it so thought I'd give it ago . Lyn x
    • Posted

Hi Lyn

Thanks for replying. I think I might give these a try before I see the GP.

Jo x

• Posted

hi there Jo, i was exactly the same before my hysterectomy i suffered night sweats for about 12 months, then i cut out caffeine and followed a healthy eating plan and now after my op there greatly improved, i still get them but not half as bad as i did, try it see if it helps hun. Oh and i dont have any warm drinks after my evening meal x
    • Posted

Thanks Ann Marie.

Am trying so hard to eat healthily but will definately try to cut down on caffeine. I do only have a cup of tea in the morning, one when I get home from work and one in the evening. I'll try to cut out the evening one. I don't drink coffee at all.

I just struggle with the broken nights, and find it difficult functioning properly the next day. What I wouldn't give for a whole night!!!

Thanks for your advice

Jo X x

• Posted

i know hun take a cool drink to bed and take a couple of parecetamol i tend to sleep better xx
  • Posted

Well I'm on hrt and feel alot better for it then putting up with sweating all night like a oven
    • Posted

Seeing Gp tomorrow about starting HRT cos put up with night sweats for 9 weeks or more now...
  • Posted

Hi Jo. I take black cohosh and my hot flushes and night sweats haven't disappeared but have definitely reduced. I haven't suffered any side effects. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi dawn

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask do you know if there is a time limit that you can take these for?

are you still taking them?

Jo x

• Posted

I would just check with the doctor to see if it's suitable for you I am once took a herbal remedy and found it wasn't suitable so went on to hrt
    • Posted

Ho Caroline

Yes I think I will check first even though he told me that there were many herbal remedies I could try, he didn't really seem concerned that some may not be suitable.

I'm not worried about the HRT, more that I get a low dose one that suits me. I've suffered since before my op last August with hot flushes but the night time ones are now really affecting my work as I'm not sleeping so I definately need to do something.

Thank you

Jo

• Posted

Thats OK I'm on a low dose gel I had my op last Nov and was suffering bad with hotness so it suits me good luck let me know how you get on x
    • Posted

Hi Jo.

I've only been taking them for 3 weeks and apparently it takes that long for them to start working, so maybe it will get rid of the hot flushes all together soon.

I came off hrt 3 weeks ago as I didn't feel they were benefiting me. Now I feel so much better, like a fog has lifted from my brain ☺. I take the black cohosh alongside St John's Wort and I haven't felt so good since I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago! I am feeling motivated, have lost half a stone and finally my interest in everything is returning. I'm not sure if there is a time limit for taking them but I'm just going to continue and see how things go.

Dawn x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.