night time burning legs

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi, i really don't know if this is associated with RA or not but this only occurs at night from12 - 7am. I feel like my blood within my legs is on fire. Does anyone know what this is? Many thanks

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you spoken to your doctor about it Emily?  Conditions like diabetes can do that but, so can drugs.

Are you taking any drugs?

• Posted

My aunt has diabetes and also complains of this, she takes drugs for a heart condition, and isn't sure what causes hers either.

• Posted

Hi Emily,

my legs feel really hot and very achy most of the time, so it could be a normal thing with RA and Fibro, however, I am wondering if you take a particular medication before bedtime?  if so, maybe it is causing this awful symptom. 

• Posted

I don't take anything I'm so baffled thanks for your replies

• Posted

Hi Emily,I have RA symptoms(,not diagnosed) but I do have

degenerative disc disease in my spine.When I lay down at

night I get odd sensations in both legs.I'm just wondering

if it could be an issue with your spine somehow.Just a thought.

I hope you find out the cause soon

• Posted

hi Emily I have degenerative discs and have found out the bottom one is lying on nerve at bottom of spine do u get a heavy feeling on legs to at rest heavy aching feeling and burning legs

• Posted

Hi Emily, I also have burning sensations in my lower legs and feet which are worse at night. It feels like the insides of my feet have sunburn. My hands and feet are very hot and dry all of the time which has been proved to be high levels of inflammation, this is not due to meds as I have had it long before the meds started. I find that putting a cream lotion on my feet and leaving them uncovered in a cool room makes it a little better. It also seems to be worse when my legs are elevated such as sleeping. The rest of My skin is very itchy too but not burning. Hope this helps, I find it gets less with Predislonone but I won't take that unless I have a flare where I have pain.

i am on 10 mg of Methotrexate (liver damage if I take a higher dose) and Cimzia biologic injection every fortnight. For a while things got better but now they are getting worse again, it's a horrid feeling isn't it? Hope you get some relief, definitely tell your Rheumy about the burning and if they suggest some relief, please tell me too. 

• Posted

How long a course of predisolone did you have? Did you have nasty side effects? Thanks for your input
    • Posted

Hi Emily, I have had several courses of Predislonone, one of 60mg which was a huge dose but at the time they thought I might have temporal artritis, it caused a dreadful feeling of rage, a huge moon face, massive appetite and huge shoulders! I have had several other much smaller doses over a short period while waiting for the MTX and Cimzia to work which have not caused the same problems and it's been great to damp down flares but I still won't take it unless I really need to, although when I do its with a feeling of relief that I will get some respite.

• Posted

Thanks Mary for this what dosage was your smaller predisolone on 20mg?30 mg? How long was it for? Thanks again
    • Posted

Emily, I keep 1mg tablets in the house and usually take five a day for about a week so only a small dose.

You should speak to your doctor/rheumatologist as they may have other advice which can help, maybe antihistamines etc. good luck.

• Posted

Hi Mary, I used to get severe itching in my legs at night. Finally diagnosed with low thyroid and meds improved that condition. I have experienced intense burning in my feet on 3 or 4 occasions lasting several minutes. Not sure of that cause. Good luck to all.
  • Posted

Hi Emily, I am also suffering from burning legs and feet.  It started with my first loading dose of cimzia 4 weeks ago.  I took my 3rd loading dose on saturday and the leg burning is still a major issue.  It is keeping me up nights and they bother me most of the day as well.  I am also experiencing muscle pains and tenderness.  It's hard to tell if the medication is really  helping my RA because the burning and muscle pain seems to be worse.  I talked to my doctor last week and he upped my predisolone to see if that would help but so far no luck. When the Cimzia nurse called after my first injections I told her of the leg burning and she said that she hadn't heard of that being a side effect of the drug. I would be very interested if anyone else is having the same problems!

• Posted

Hi Zt bowlers, I am on Cimzia fort nightly injections too but my burning and hot dry hands and feet started before I was even diagnosed with RA. Even with all the meds I was taking my levels of inflammation didn't reduce so I was given a bone scan which showed very high levels of inflammation still in those areas. Talk to your rheumatologist, mine is getting worse at the moment and my hands and feet are showing signs of swelling, if yours are feeling the same then see if you can either change or up your meds to prevent further damage. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.