night time burning legs

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi, i really don't know if this is associated with RA or not but this only occurs at night from12 - 7am. I feel like my blood within my legs is on fire. Does anyone know what this is? Many thanks

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Emily I am facing these hot legs problem as I ly down on bed or about to sleep my lower body becomes very hot and I cannot sleep it happens on and off do you still have this issue did you try any herbal remedy or medication just to let you know I am withdrawing from amitriptyline so that a withdrawal symptoms please any tips to avoid thx
    • Posted

Hi,  I take one Amiltriptyline at night to help me sleep, they are classed as an anti depressant but work better as a muscle relaxer. I have not heard that you have to wean yourself off them or that they are addictive. My feet, ankles and hands are burning hot most of the time which has proved to be high levels of inflammation. When I took 20 mg of Methotrexate it reduced the heat but I have had to stop taking it because of liver damage and so the heat has come back (we can’t win!) I also take a biologic, first it was Cimzia then changed to Actemra but this has caused problems with Diverticulitis (back to not winning!) so it is being changed in January to another one which I think is called Orencia. I hope this one works better at reducing the heat. Hope you find some relief with the heat.
  • Posted

Hi Emily.  I get these symptoms so bad I am unable to cover my legs at night.  I also have them in my hands.  I am really coming to the end of my rope.  Have you been given a definitive diagnosis?  I'd love to hear from you.  

• Posted

Hi there I had this dreadfully for four months I honestly could have cried but now I don't have it in my legs but my arms and back! Very strange I don't know if it's fibro or RA or a crash in hormones after giving birth I'm baffled myself if u give up gluten and coffee it really helps my pain xxxx

• Posted

Hi Emily.  Thanks for your reply.  I've had this for months.  I'm 74 and widowed. I've been to the Doctor and She said that it was Raynauds Syndrome.  Given Gabapentin but not having any impact.  Going to make an appointment tomorrow to see another Doctor.  I'm not sleeping at nigh due to continuous burning.  Really bringing me down. Good news that you are better now..

• Posted

Hi I'm really sorry to hear this have you tried nytol the antihistamine in it prevents allergies the doc recommended and worked for me the blue nytol not green one! Worth a try... take two it knocks you out and you sleep well but ideally only used for one or two weeks! Take care and best of luck I'm only 33 was was making my daily life a chore x

• Posted

Hi Emily.  I'll try anything.  Going to another Doctor for second opinion.  By the time I get an appointment, I'll have no hair left lol.  Keep well.

• Posted

Hi Emily

I am suffering same problem  from last two years. My both leg starts burning as I lye down at night. Early in morning it burns more and I can’t complete my sleep but as I stand up from bed it gets better in 5 Minutes 

I did complete body checkup including MRI and citiscan of both leg and spine.

I could not find any solution

Please help if anybody have any solutions  

• Posted

Hi there mine was dreadful it started 6 weeks after I had an epidural giving birth to my son I thought it could have been that..... then I thought it was an allergy I went gluten free and caffeine free and surprisingly my symptoms lessoned. I also thought it could have been anxiety no doctor told me what it could be ... but it has eased alot I hope I've been a little help but maybe not!

• Posted

Hi Emily , I too have the same issue. I’m 30 and wake up usually around 7am sometimes because my legs feel like they are on fire. It’s extremely uncomfortable. It’s a burning, tingling sensation, similar to sciatica, but both full legs rather than just down the back of one leg. I just contActed my doctor about this today. I have lower back issues and take gabapentin and Unisom to get to sleep. I’m not sure if it’s associated with this medication because I have been taking it for so long. 
  • Posted

Hi Emily,

I get this too but I not only have RA, I also have OA, OP and Vasculitis. But I don't know which is causing the symptoms.

• Posted

I have had the same pain, which prevents me from sleeping, for several years now.  I am at my wits end and dread thinking I will feel like this for the rest of my life. Been to several doctors and they have not been able to help me. I suppose it’s a circulation or inflammation problem.  I am seeing a Rheumatologist who I hope can help, but I am not very encouraged by these comments. It seems like this doesn’t go away. I want to cry. 
  • Posted

I have the same problem. My legs always get crampy at night and they get hot at night. I'm finding that when I rub wintergreen Alcohol on them before going to bed. And sleep with a sheet only . It really seems to help me sleep better. I'm diabetic but i don't take any medications at night

• Posted

Hi Emily, I know this thread is a little old but did you find out what caused the pain? I have the same symptoms burning pain (back of legs only) and often worse at night. It doesn't appear to be related to exercise (almost the opposite in fact).

• Posted

Hello, everyone.

This id my first post here. I do know a bit about this as I've had this "burning" for about 20 years.

My doctors agree it's nerve pain resulting from injuries to my back. Neuralgia is often a side effect of diabetes, too. I don't have diabetes.

My pain is best described as constant, hot, painful, but at its worst, buckets of boiling water being poured on my legs. Its worse when I stand in one place rather than am moving.

Drs prescribed 10 mg of amytriptillin for it 20 years ago and also to help me sleep. It really helps. There are days when I truly dont have it too badly. Over the last 20 years, I have had to increase the medication to now 30 mg at bedtime to get the relief. 30mg is still considered a light dose.

Some consider amytriptilline to have side effects but I've only had excellent results. I cannot imagine how much more I would suffer without it.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers to a Life filled with Color!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.