Nissen fundoplication reversal

Posted , 29 users are following.

I'm about to have my nissen reversed because of severe neasua vomiting and pain. Has anyone had theirs reversed or taken down and what was the outcome?

2 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi amber hope your reversal went well .I had a Nissan fundoplication done last year and I have had the year from hell and now I want it reversed could you tell me the name of your surgeon and hospital were you had you reversal done as my surgeon is saying it can't be reversed thank you Karl

Report Reply
    • Posted

Sorry, I don't know any surgeons in East Yorks. There s a patient support group in Hull - the Humberside Oesophageal Support Group (www HOSG org) . Gwen Harlow, who runs it used to be a trustee of FORT (Fighting Oesophagea Reflux Together in Leicester) , may be able to help.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi i too had a full nissen in july. I have had severe throat pain constant dry mouth. Unbearable bàck pain after i eat and i have been bringing up blood when evet i lie down. This operation has not helped my reflux only made it worse. I have been off work since the operation as i am on so much pain. Can i adk did you have your Collis Nissen on the NHS. I recently has an appiontment with a colon consultant because since the operation i have also bleed from back passage and he advised me that in some cases they will reverse the operation. Although they cannot guarantee the outcome. Thankyou

Report Reply
    • Posted

I really don't know why this operation is even considered on the NHS when clearly it doesn't work could ask where your having the operation reversed I have a lot of throat problems and shortness of breath lots of pain and aches constant throat clearing

Report Reply
    • Posted

But the operation does work! It repairs the hiatus hernia and reduces reflux - which PPIs don't do.

Trouble is, you usually only see posts from people who are dissatisfied whereas the truth is different: A study published in Surgical Endoscopy in 2014 reviewed the durability of Laparoscopic Fundoplication over 20 years and concluded, "Long-term results from the early experience with LF are excellent with 94 % of patients reporting only occasional or fewer reflux symptoms at 20-year follow-up. However, 18 % required surgical revision surgery to maintain their results. There is a relatively high rate of daily dysphagia but 90 % of patients are happy to have had LF."

In my own case, after 55 years of reflux including 15 years on PPIs, the last few of which on very high 80mg omeprazole failing to control the near blackout coughing fits 2 or 3 times a day and anaemia from nduced hypochlorhydria from such high drug usage, the operation gave me my life back.

Report Reply
    • Posted

You are correct in that the surgery does work, however, for some people the operation is the thing that kills them. This is happening to me.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi I'm from London and really want to get my nisse undone. I wondered if you could possibly give me the names of the surgeons you know as I'd be willing to travel to find people with experience of the undo..

My name is jane and I'd be very grateful.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Barretts

I'm new to this & maybe I haven't followed correctly but have you had a reversal? My 16 yr old daughter had a partial fundo at 14yrs & every awful side effect afterwards. We're uk based & I'm trying to find a surgeon who's willing & able to undo.

Many thanks

Report Reply
    • Posted

I had this done20 years ago and not had a decent nights sleep since 

because of the painful bloat keeps waking me up

I am a zombie all day 

I would give anything to get it undone

I was never told I would never be able to burp again

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Karlosso. i have not yet been offered the reversal. I am about to have the repeat ph manometry test and i have just had a ct scan on my throat and chest because of all the issues i am having. I had my operation done at Stoke Hospital. My colon consultant told me that when the operation works well it is great however when it doesnt some people can have worse reflux from the surgery. I was never told this. I was warned about the gas bloat and weight loss but that is all. At the moment i have to chew gum all day because of my dry painful throat.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

I know that feeling well I was only told about the gas and bloating which I don't have a problem with apart from I am now on the same medication I was before the operation the bloating is so pad it effects my breathing I have had this lump in my throat since Jan I have to eat loads of polos it totally drains me it has been like this for nearly a year I have put a complaint in to the NHS so just waiting now I just want it reversed now

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi karlosso. Where did you have your operation done. I am also bringing up blood after lying down. The surgeon refused to accept it is from the operation. It began about 3 weeks after the op. He colon consultant has said its more than likely from the acid burning my eosophagus. I did not have this before surgery. The ppis kept my symptoms under control.
      Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up