Nissen fundoplication reversal

Posted , 45 users are following.

I'm about to have my nissen reversed because of severe neasua vomiting and pain. Has anyone had theirs reversed or taken down and what was the outcome?

3 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Karlosso. i have not yet been offered the reversal. I am about to have the repeat ph manometry test and i have just had a ct scan on my throat and chest because of all the issues i am having. I had my operation done at Stoke Hospital. My colon consultant told me that when the operation works well it is great however when it doesnt some people can have worse reflux from the surgery. I was never told this. I was warned about the gas bloat and weight loss but that is all. At the moment i have to chew gum all day because of my dry painful throat.
    • Posted

I know that feeling well I was only told about the gas and bloating which I don't have a problem with apart from I am now on the same medication I was before the operation the bloating is so pad it effects my breathing I have had this lump in my throat since Jan I have to eat loads of polos it totally drains me it has been like this for nearly a year I have put a complaint in to the NHS so just waiting now I just want it reversed now

• Posted

Hi karlosso. Where did you have your operation done. I am also bringing up blood after lying down. The surgeon refused to accept it is from the operation. It began about 3 weeks after the op. He colon consultant has said its more than likely from the acid burning my eosophagus. I did not have this before surgery. The ppis kept my symptoms under control.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that I had mine done at castle hill hospital in hull
    • Posted

It's clearly the operation that's caused that then

• Posted

Hi Laura 

I am from the stoke area, going through the same things as you and wondered did you get any answers?

• Posted

I don't live in the UK area. I live in the US. I had the nissen done in August after years of PPIs, reflux, nausea, laryngitis, laryngopharyngeal problems, etc. I HATE the day I agreed to it. I can eat. I had to learn to belch again. I CANNOT vomit, which is horrible. I have constant gas, embarrassing. I have constant stomach pains. And have been told that the pain is from extremly lare air pockets in my intestines, causing ugly bloating & swelling of my mid area. And im back on reflux meds & gas meds. I want this reversed. I rather pray about the reflux than to deal with these after effects.

• Posted

I know what your going through let me know how you get on pls
    • Posted

How did you learn to belch again

I have tried many times even putting my fingers into my throat

can't do it I could my problems would be solved.

Tried hundreds of times

You are lucky I guess it depends on the type of wrap

mine was a toupe what every that means

some kind of partial wrap been bloated ever since but only during the night keeping me awake

• Posted

I still have the bloating, the stomach pains, the constipation (no gall bladder), etc. I still can't vomit, I'm continuously nauseated. still on reflux gastrointestinal meds. Its miserable.

• Posted

Learning to belch was painful. Is trying to get air in my throat to let it out. The top of my esophagus is really weak, so Im choking most time. The top is wrap with my stomach... I did a lot of swallowing and started belching as I swallow. sad
    • Posted

I think that's what I have extremely large air pockets in my intestines

they have never been able to diagnose anything nor even tried but that seems to sum it up

do you have this during the day or just at night as in my case

Basically, a Nissan is the very last  thing you need in this case as it makes you even more bloated

as it did to me, if only I had known, I cant belch to save my life nor the other vomit

The only drug that helps is Amitriptyline dont like taking it as it makes you drousey

• Posted

I am having the same issues as you are. Except my severe anxiety/severe depression/PTSD was there beforehand, the surgery just really exacerbated everything. I requested a consult to have mine reversed because I am slowly dying, yet none of my doctors/surgeons are doing a thing about it. Just wondering how your reversal went and what recovery was like.
  • Posted

Did you have your reversal? I am ready to have mine done. How are you feeling? Can you vomit?

We're there any complications? Please please advise. I am scared

• Posted

Hi, did you have a reversal? I had Nissen fundoplication surgery on the 24th June 2017 in the UK & still can't eat. Vomiting & regurgitating food & water everyday! I want a reversal ASAP! 

How do you get a reversal in the UK? I have lost 1 stone 6lbs so far! I too am really scared & wish that I had NEVER had the surgery! 

• Posted

Hi I have just been offered a reversal on the NHS by my consultant I had my Nissan in 2015 at castle hill in hull I started with a lump in my throat on the left I complained to the NHS and have now been offered a reversal 
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will complain & ask for an urgent reversal. Approximately how long did it take before they agreed to reverse the fundoplication? Are there any complications associated with this operation? Please can you keep me undated on your progress? 

I would really love to know how you get on! 

• Posted

My favourite aunt  worked at Castle Hill for 40 years head nurse they called them sisters in those days

maybe if I told them about my aunt working there they would do a reversal Ha Ha

• Posted

Took just over two years of battles with the NHS but it paid off and they have agreed to reverse it now will keep you posted 
    • Posted

Hi I had a fundoplication done in London 2011 and I want mine undone . I'm in terrible pain . Where did you have yours done

• Posted

Hi Karen, 

I am very sorry to hear that you are in pain. I had my Nissen on the 20th June 2017 & it was semi taken down on the 23rd August 2017. Unfortunately, as time passes everything starts to heal & knit together. I believe that part of the wrap is still attached to my gullet & I started to bleed quite badly so they couldn't continue. I still can't eat properly, vomit everyday & suffer from excruciating stomach pain, bloating, diarrhoea & exhaustion. 

Do you know what is causing the pain? Are you in the UK? 

I wouldn't recommend the two surgeons who carried out my surgery! Apparently James Gossage (London) & Guy Slater (Worthing/Chichester) are very good! I hope this helps 😊

• Posted

My hernia was 2 cm. I had the nissen but had it reversed. Worst surgery ruined my life. Have your doctor fix the hernia only. Don't get the nissen

• Posted

Hi Farhana, 

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I had both the Nissen & reversal & can safely say that both surgeries have ruined my life. How are you doing now? 

• Posted

It has been 4 month post op. I am doing better but everything makes me nauseated and i get spsmas. So the only thing that calms everything down is xanax, so I can eat. I have good days and bad days. Went for a 2nd opinion and Dr said to give it time . My nausea is due to tightness and pressure after it was undone. He said it will resolve in time. I don't know ....i am taking it one day at a time. How are you doing?

• Posted

Pretty much the same as you! I vomit everyday, get spasms, diarrhoea etc. I am getting 3 second opinions early part of next year. I have completely lost faith in the original surgeons (I had 2 due to complications) & don't want them touching me again, ever! 

I do hope that things improve for you very soon. I know it's hard but try to stay positive. If in doubt get a second opinion. 

• Posted

Here is my email Farhanac29@gmail.com[/b] So we can talk better. I hope you feel better too. But we have to stay positive. My Dr said it can take up to 2 yrs before we feel normal again.

• Posted

How long did you have the nissen before reversal? How long has it been since the reversal? I ask because i went for a 2nd opinion and my Dr said that all the symptoms i am having are normal and to give it time. It can take up to 2 yrs to before feeling better. There is a wonderful support group on Facebook called nissen takedown by Gina. I have gotten so much knowledge and support from this group. You should join. I still can't throw up. I wish i could. That is my main issue. Dr. Said I have to give it time since the area is still healing and very tight. That is why I am having nausea. I had to give up my life ,my job and everything to heal from this nightmare. I wish i can go back in time. But I am thankful that I had the reversal and it is over with. This will pass we just have to be patient.

• Posted

I had the Nissen in June 2017 (one surgeon) & the reversal in August 2017 (same surgeon & his superior!). Just one Nissen & have been living a hellish existence ever since. I certainly wouldn't recommend Nissen to anyone & wouldn't have had it done if I had been informed of the hideous side effects & life changing, life limiting effects prior to surgery.  I do hope that things improve but at present, I am being given conflicting information from the surgeons in question re the best course of action to improve my condition. It's very worrying that they don't appear to know how to cure me. Keep me posted on your progress. I hope that your condition improves ASAP.

• Posted

I am on t he same boat as you. I have no definite answer so went for a 2nd opinion and got some answers as to why I am feeling like this. I like you have the nissen April 2017 and takedown june 2017. The nausea is awful but the new doc says is due to the tightness and pressure. I still can't throw up. It sucks and was told to be patient. It can take up to 1 to 2 yrs before we feel normal again. I am praying for us for better days.

• Posted

Hi had my reversal in Oct not sure if it has worked really I seem to have a build up of gas during the day so constant farting on a night time and burps that smell like eggs but this has a pattern and only happened every other day 

Gunna have it out with the surgeon when I next see him 

• Posted

Hi. 

That is how my issues started it has been hell since I had the fundo. Have you had your reversal? what doctor did you see, I am in the uk too sorry for all the questions I am desperate. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.