Nissen fundoplication reversal

Posted , 45 users are following.

I'm about to have my nissen reversed because of severe neasua vomiting and pain. Has anyone had theirs reversed or taken down and what was the outcome?

3 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You are lucky seems it's the last thing they want to do in Canada anyway.

Had my NF 20 years ago been trying to get it undone ever since

instead of my Kingdom for a horse, a reversal  for my Kingdom

Haven't had a decent night's sleep since I had it done

the longer it was done the harder it is to undo because of the scar tissue

• Posted

Here in Canada medical is free but I would gladly pay to have it undone

I think this would be the only way of getting it done

• Posted

Had mine taken down in Oct 2017 my lump in the throat has just about gone but I seem to have more wind and burps that smell like eggs this happens every other day god knows what’s wrong now 
    • Posted

How are you feeling now that you've had it reversed? Do you still get heartburn and esophagitis or sore throats?

• Posted

How are you feeling now that you have had it reversed? Do you still get symptoms?
    • Posted

Hi, I had my first surgery in June 2017 & this was reversed in August 2017. Unfortunately, I am still suffering from regurgitation, vomiting, gas bloat, dumping syndrome, excessive burping/flatulence, hiccuping, central pain, pain in my right shoulder & right flank. Life is miserable! The surgeons couldn't reverse it properly because they missed a vital time line & everything had started to knit together & heal. Worse decision I ever made! If I could turn back the clock I would. 

What symptoms do you have? Have you had a nissan?

• Posted

Yes, I had one done in 2007, and have been nauseous ever since. Reflux comes and goes still. 

Did you have all your symptoms (regurgitation, vomiting, gas bloat, dumping syndrome, excessive burping/flatulence, hiccuping, central pain, pain in my right shoulder & right flank) after the fundoplication? And they didn't go away after you had it taken down?

• Posted

I only had central pain, pain in my right shoulder & right flank prior to surgery. After the initial Nissen I developed projectile vomiting & couldn't keep anything down including water because the wrap was too tight. After the unsuccessful takedown the other symptoms developed. I can safely say that my symptoms are much worse since having had surgery.

• Posted

Where did you have this done can I have name of Dr who reversed this
  • Posted

Can you please tell me if you ever had the reversal?  My son is suffering and trying to find out if the reversal is working for you and if you are still having complications.  Thank you in advance.
    • Posted

I had the reversal last August (2017) & can safely say that I am still suffering. Since having had the 2 failed surgeries I struggle to eat anything, vomit & regurgitate food & liquids everyday. I have heartburn, dumping syndrome, excessive wind (both ends), central pain, my stomach is partially paralysed etc. The list is endless. What problems is your son experiencing? How is he coping? 

• Posted

i just recently had a takedown of my nissen and i cant swallow barely. it has been a month. i had 2 surgeries with no success in the swallowing department. i still have chest pain really bad so i cant give you any good news on it but im a lightning rod for medical misshaps

• Posted

i had mine taken down two years ago but i still dont feel right still get a lot of bloating and of course the acid returned and the dreaded lump in the throat come back every so offten

• Posted

its been 5 months since my nissen takedown and nothing has improved. im told not to talk about the legalities but screw that. i wouldn't wish the s**t i am going through on my enemies. i went from being 280 pounds to 141 pounds. ive had 8 surgeries to repair the first surgery. but its too late they scar tissue is ingrained with the mesh. im unable to eat much. im in constant pain . my quality of life is getting worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.