Nissen fundoplication reversal

Posted , 45 users are following.

I'm about to have my nissen reversed because of severe neasua vomiting and pain. Has anyone had theirs reversed or taken down and what was the outcome?

3 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi did you have your fundoplication reversed?

• Posted

please join Facebook group called nissen takedown. you will get tons of information and many who had it reversed.

• Edited

I had my Nissen Fundoplication done on Nov 10, 2020 and I have lost 30 lbs from vomiting so much. love losing the weight but not this way. I'm having the reversal done on Monday, Feb 8th, 2021. My question is what do they do with the excess stomach they wrapped around your esophagus???? My dr said I couldn't continue living off chicken noodle soup and cream of chicken. Thank God!

• Posted

Hi ! I had mine last 2 weeks ago .Since I had it my life change so bad . Im so depressed and miserable . Just want to ask you about the Reversal , how you feel after the reversal and did your insurance paid also ?

• Edited

Most respondents don't appear to have reversals, so I'll share my experiences.

I had a Nissen fundoplication around November 2019, just before my 30th birthday. I was otherwise healthy. I've had heartburn all my life; I couldn't feel it, but it runs in my family. I had ulcers and a hiatal hernia. Following the surgery, the the ulcers and hernia healed, but I never really recovered. It seemed like every swallow had a 50/50 chance of coming back up - water, food, everything caused vomiting.

Almost exactly a year after the surgery, I had a sudden onset of constant vomiting and diarrhea so severe I passed out. After arguing with the 911 operator, I was taken to an ER. After 4 or 5 days, my symptoms improved, and I was released but I was back the next day. They gave me IV fluids and released me. A few days later I was back in a different ER. A second CT revealed "fluids where they shouldn't be," and the docs suspected a perforated esophagus. Within just a few weeks, I'd gone from a lean 180 lbs to <120. I was pale and in bad shape, but because of COVID, it took them another three days to transfer me to a hospital 200 miles away. The pain was more intense than appendicitis.

When I got to the overflowing Savannah hospital, I was treated in the hallway. They said if there was a perforation, it probably spontaneously healed (because I was alive), but they'd take a look and may need to loosen the wrap. When I woke up, I was told the wrap had been undone. The surgeon said the wrap was "pretty chewed up."

My condition improved immediately. After about a week I was able to eat soft foods, and they released me a few days after New Year's Day, 2021. I slowly transitioned to solid foods. It was the best I'd felt since the first surgery, although I did have diarrhea for several weeks. I'd slowly been putting on weight until the end of March. I've had diarrhea for two weeks now, lots of spasms and pain but only a little nausea. Strangely, for the first time in my life I've felt bad heartburn for the last two weeks.

If I can get over this bout of diarrhea, I think I'll keep improving. The surgeon said I'll probably never be able to do heavy lifting again. I'm almost back up to 150 pounds. I've got an appoint with a new GI scheduled, so I'll update this if anything eventful happens. Overall I'd give the whole experience 0 stars. The last two years have been rough. I've got very painful stomach cramps right now. I had a good surgeon in Savannah, but the other hospitals were terrible. I wish I had advice to give, but all I can say is find a good physician you trust.

• Edited

I have not had the reversal. I would like to. This nissen fundo surgery ruined my life. Literally. Destroyed my body. I

wish I could turn back time so badly and not have done it. It caused other medical issues of seizure disorder and fibromyalgia I have overcome. However I cannot vomit- even with flu or food poisoning. I get severe dehibilitating esophagus spasms with dry heaves. Paralyzing and severe pain for hours. Caused an early menopause. Don't get children. I might as well not be alive. Like I said- it destroyed my life. I lost out on so much. My esophagus hurts as I type this. Also a fatigue and weakness that came with the surgery. After the surgery I could not eat. I was 80 some lbs for up to two years. Survived on jello, pudding, oatmeal, and soup 4x day for the two years. The surgery also fell apart in less than a year. They then re-did it a second time. Made it tighter. I then should have had it reversed. This evil surgery took everything from me and gave me suffering and loss. It literally ruined my life.

On top of all this, I now find out I was misdiagnosed. My gerd/acid reflux/hiatel hernia was from my TMJ and my jaws do not connect. I would have been a candidate for double jaw surgery. My airway is 81% closed. 100 % is morbidity. That's standing up. This is where the gerd came from. So now my throat and my esophagus are bound tight. They treated my acid reflux- even with surgery- as the primary diagnosis. It is secondary symptom of TMJ. TMJ is also the root of scoliosis- at least for some. It caused my mild scoliosis. Scoliosis starts in the jaw. Or the jaw causes scoliosis really. I was also healthy prior to this surgery. Having had it around age 36.

I prayed to YAH (God) to reverse it supernaturally as I know a surgical reversal is likely not to happen and one doctor said doing this a third time is ill-advised. His exact words. I'm trapped, my esophagus is trapped and hurts, and I have a ruined life. Unfortunately God did not come through. I no longer ask. Maybe I still ask on occasion, but without any morsel of faith or hopeful expectation left.

This truly is an evil surgery that should not be done. It literally destroyed my life and my body. I would encourage others not to do this. Look for the root cause of gerd, whether medical/physical, lifestyle such as stress or diet, traumas, or even spiritual, and look at naturalistic types of treatments too. Not just being cut on and traditional meds.

• Posted

See my other reply. It is much longer. If you are vomiting there is a good chance it has fallen apart- the wrap. With the nissen one cannot vomit. When mine fell apart less than a year after doing the surgery, the wrap fell apart and my stomach was pinching into my chest cavity. It could not stay that way. I now wish I had it reversed at the 2nd surgery. He made it even tighter. A 3rd surgery is ill advised. If you have to go into another surgery then I would recommend the reversal. I also did not mention this in my other reply but I had like 12 hospitalizations in 10 months; was very sickly. I had a BCBS long term case manager and got approval for out of network Mayo clinic. I really could have died.

• Edited

I had the procedure years ago and developed stomach bloat(gas) syndrome. It is very painful. I am getting it reversed. I rather vomit than hurt like this. I also have gastric paressis, IBS. My stomach feels like it will explode. Dr. Page in Columbus Ohio is who is doing my takedown.

• Posted

hi how are you my name is Mario. i had partial nissen fondoplication in march of this year. in july i developed some bloting episodes that were severly painful to where i would drench in sweat and pass out in october one of those episodes turned out to be pancrititis with my laipas at 15000 . they proceeded to take my gall blader out because it had gall stones. i was te assured everything was fine i was good for two weeks and had a minor episode again of bloating and stomach/ chest pain followed by weekenes and kind of bile or yellow stools. i hve lost about 60 pounds of weight and counting. im not sure what to eat anymore after gall blader went on low fat diet .. but i feel

like its making me really week . still have pain after two months on upper stomach not sure if its insission pain or its my partial fondoplication. im 35 and im desperately seeking help. im healthy all i had was gerd in march . so not sure what is going on. some one told me if a complication called gas bloat syndrom that can cause pancrititis. i ahve been thinking if reversal. how did yours go?

• Posted

Okay after my surgery for Fundoplication 10 years ago I have lived in hell constant pain bloating not eating properly weight gain. No energy feel terrible every single day it’s ruin my life doctors all said it cannot be reversed I was adamant I wanted it done so I decided to go through my insurance which was very fast and 10 year down the line. I have a date within a month to have it removed. I told the doctor I couldn’t understand why the doctor said it couldn’t be removed but yet you’re doing it he said it all comes down to money the insurance is paying for it. My date is on the 28th of this month. I will update soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.