Nissen Fundoplication Surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am due to go in for the op on 9th February, so just over three weeks.

I am extremely anxious however fully understand that it's for the best. I'm only 25 and have suffered with acid reflux for years, only really getting it checked over the past year. They've found I have Barrat's, hiatus hernia, ulcers lining my stomach and oesophagus and a hell of a lot of inflammation so they have told me that I need to have the operation as none of the medication has worked.

What are your experiences of the survey, and post op experiences? I am fully aware of the liquid diet etc but I'm wondering how everyone generally felt and how long to recover etc? Was there a significant amount of pain after surgery?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had the surgery and you can expect a liquid diet for about three weeks, then moving to soft foods.  You will need to eliminate bread.  It gums up in your throat and stays in the stomach for a long time, so just forget about it.  Although after about 12 weeks you can eat crackers/chips.  It seems that rough itsm go down better.  Also following surgery you should eliminate ice fromyour drinks, room temperature or refrigerator is good.  You can eventually add ice, but you get used to it and don't really need it.  You will feel fine the next day following surgery and the recovery is not rough it's just the diet that is a little learning curve.  But overall you will be happy.  Have oatmeal on hand, and lots of yogurt, 

I wish you well and the best of luck.  It will be worth it.

On a side note, I had to hve lmy surgery reversed after two years, so be sure and follow doctors orders.  :-(

• Posted

Hello Kay. Hope you feeling even better now. I'm happy for you acide is a horrible thing to have. Could you also tell me the name and place of you le surgeon thank you so much. 

• Posted

Good luck.

Best thing I ever did.

I'll send you a link to my personal blog of when I had it, via private message. Others may find it if they find my personal website ChrisRob co uk and click on the Barretts link on the left navigation pane.

• Posted

Hi i had the surgery on 17.10.2016 i didnt have a liquid diet after i was eating very little but eating ready brek mashed potato yogurts fruit juice mashed veg as long as the food was mashable then i was coping well i then started to graduallu try foods i would normally eat i have never got any food stuck and i am eating as i did b4 the op without any reflux so the op for me was 100% worth it i was 27 wen i had it done so still young myself for the pain i was goin through my surgeon was fantastic iv lost 2 stone since my op and feel like a different person the only problems i had were with my bowels but theyve sorted their self out and wind but id rather that than reflux. I was moving around a week after my surgery slow short walks

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask

Good look

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm curious... at what point were you able to begin doing more than simply slow, short walks. Such as low intensity biking, jogging, etc.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth. I'm so glad you doing well and I hope you can see this message as you haven't logged on in along time. However could you possibly tell me the name of the surgeons and place you had it done thank  you so much......

• Posted

Hi I had my operation done in Bradford West Yorkshire (B.R.I) my surgeon was Mr J C May he was also my consultant on the day of the surgery nearly a year ago now I nearly backed out I was crying and in a bit of a state on the morning of my surgery Mr may came up from surgery to see me and assured me everything would be fine I am so glad I went through with it nearly a year later and heartburn free says it all
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your comments. The weight loss will help as I do need to lose a little. Just not too much haha. I really am looking forward to hopefully a new way of life because I get minimal sleep as the moment and even hurts when I swallow saliva so it's not good! The ulcers aren't pretty either

• Posted

Hi,

I had my operation in June, I was so worried I nearly said no don't worry I'm going home just before anesthetic went in, but I went through and did it. I had 270 degree wrap, I had a fair bit of pain but it was bareable.

I still have a little bit of discomfort in my muscles around the surgery areas.

The liquid diet takes a bit of getting used to in the beginning but after a few weeks you can start on less sloppy foods, eat very slowly is the key.

I got ready made mash potato for convenience and added more butter and gravy to it.

With bread it can be very bloating, I get Warburtons or Kingsmill Thins which are good.

Best wishes to you.

Margaret

• Posted

Thank you mag2 for your response. I feel like I will avoid bread as I already do due to the dysphasia it gets stuck. They found that in my barium meal as the bread just wouldn't go down I was downing cups of water lol.

It's one of those things really I know I really need the operation, as I didn't request it, the surgeon said it was the only route we could now go down due to meds not working and also my situation with ulcers everywhere. I'm just worried about any pain etc.

I'm really glad yours has been successful. Have you found it hard to eat solids? As it's been 7 months since yours now? That's another worry for me. Being on liquid and slop for so long any solids might feel completely alien and be a struggle to eat.

• Posted

Hi Husar.

I'm eating all normal foods now just smaller portions and eating slowly.

With the pain relief after op I wasn't prescribed anything just took paracetamol and ibruphen regularly, there is a little nausea so I asked for something to take home from hospital, they gave me cyclizine 2 weeks worth if I took it regularly but I still have a few left..

Regards

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Mag,

I was wondering, when were you able to start doing more than walking such as elliptical, biking, jogging, etc?

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry I'm not one for doing physical stuff like that but my job is physical I'm a (self-employed) housekeeper with several big houses I look after on my own, I took 7 weeks off to recover and went back onto light duties for about the first month trying not to do any heavy lifting etc, while I was off after the first week I went out for short walks every day going further each time to build up my strength again.

I still get a little bit of muscle discomfort from around my scars it's not bad just irritating to still get it 7 months on..

I hope this will give you an idea when you can get back to your regime.

• Posted

Hi Margaret.

I have initially taken two weeks off for the operation however I am mainly office based so I don't particularly do anything physical at work.

I do however go to the gym and cycle and swim but I feel like it will take a while to get back into the swing of things.

Did paracetamol work for the pain? As due to my ulcers caused by the acid I'm not able to take any anti inflammatories.

Dan

• Posted

Hi,

If you take the paracetamol regularly every 4 hours it should work or maybe the doc can prescribe you something stronger if needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.