Nissen Fundoplication Surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am due to go in for the op on 9th February, so just over three weeks.

I am extremely anxious however fully understand that it's for the best. I'm only 25 and have suffered with acid reflux for years, only really getting it checked over the past year. They've found I have Barrat's, hiatus hernia, ulcers lining my stomach and oesophagus and a hell of a lot of inflammation so they have told me that I need to have the operation as none of the medication has worked.

What are your experiences of the survey, and post op experiences? I am fully aware of the liquid diet etc but I'm wondering how everyone generally felt and how long to recover etc? Was there a significant amount of pain after surgery?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also wanted to ask what people were prescribed post op for any pain? And was there any pain relief immediately after surgery? I have been told that I will be staying in hospital so wondering what pain relief they will prescribe?
  • Posted

I had surgery in October 2016. I am really glad I did it. For the first time in years I can go out with no reflux.

After surgery was a bit painful but I take Tramadol for another condition, so I upped the dose and took Paracetamol on top. I was discharged with 2 kinds of anti-imetic which was very helpful especially in the days when I was trying to eat sloppy food.

I found the liquid diet fairly easy as it took me a few weeks for my appetite to return.

I am now almost eating normally just smaller amounts. I struggle with the density of things like bread, beef burgers and things like chops. You soon learn what you can an cant tolerate.

I lost a stone which is still off.

Good Luck

H

• Posted

Hi everyone.

Just an update - my surgery actually got cancelled due to there being no beds available in the hospital. So I waited all day to be told at 5pm 😢

But they've called today and the surgeon is doing an extra day on Saturday so I'll be having it done then first thing in the morning!

Bright and early as I've to be at the hospital for 7am!!!

• Posted

This is a common problem - particularly with the under resourcing of the NHS. If you have read my blogs (on ChrisRob co uk under Barrett's tab) you'll see it happened to me.

It's elective surgery so you are bottom of the list. The surgeons can find it frustrating though that they are sometimes left hanging around eager to finish their lists but with no vacant beds to release patients to. (After my Collis-Nissen revision 3 years ago, I was left in recovery for 8 hours following my op for a bed to be vacated. )

For optimum efficiency, they say at least 85% of beds should be filled at any one time. It is too frequently at 100% occupency.

But all the best for Saturday.smile

• Posted

I'm so glad the people on here are doing well after their surgery. I have one coming up and I'm really really scared and worried. I want someone experienced. Can anyone recommend a surgeon that's has performed a lot of surgeries with good experience. Thank you guys 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.