no more

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just been diagnosed with first stage oesteoarthritis of the knee to add to the list really fed up now

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

so sorry to hear that hot picks its never ending isnt it?. all you can do is battle on the best you can. you have us on here for support. treat yourself to something nice you deserve it. take care gentle hugs x
    • Posted

Thank you sooo much lovely to know there r people on here i can talk much appreciated trying to cope on very strong antidepressents thank goodness sending hugs your way xx
  • Posted

hi hotpicks, so sorry to hear you've had yet another issue diagnosed.  From a fellow OA sufferer, here's some tips I've found helpful in minimising the progression and coping with the pain etc, some are just obvious and I'm sure we all try them, but they've definitely helped me manage my OA:

Keep body weight within normal range, being overweight puts untold extra stress on joints, particularly knees, and increase and quicken up damage.

Do a non -impact regular exercise, eg swimming - exercise maintains and increases oxygen flow and is essential to reduce rapid deterioration 

Avoid processed and pre-prepared foods, they are known to cause and increase inflammation.  Foods with omega-3 fatty acids are very beneficial. Also, increase consumption of ginger and the active ingredient in turmeric - curcumin.  Ginger tea is very good and for curcumin, buy a concentrated supplement from a reputable source as turmeric only contains a small amount of the active ingredient.  Both are excellent anti inflammatories and much healthier than swallowing large quantities of NSAIDs

Move regularly.  Sitting in one position for long periods can cause blood flow problems, which will hasten deterioration - whilst rest is essential at times, being too sedentary will make the whole situation worsen. Very difficult to keep moving when joints are stiff and painful but if we force ourselves, it really does help long term.

When my arthritic joint is very inflamed, I find quick bursts of a cold pack (I use a bag of frozen peas as it molds around the joint well) help immensely.  It's critical you dont leave the ice or cold pack on the skin for more than five minutes at a time as it can cause tissue damage.

Hope all this helps.

xx

• Posted

Much appreciated thank you working and on my feet all day doesnt help but need the money so im plodding onsadyou have some very good ideas i will try them agsin thank you sending hugs your wayxx
    • Posted

Some very good and truthfull advice there Loxie, also buy the rub in pain relief from the USA, . its by livingwell nutraceuticals  rub on relief fast acting all natural homeopathic anti-flammatory pain relief cream, contains 8 listed all known homeopathic ingredients. My hubby swears by it for his rhematoid athritis. im using on my wrist to help with repetative strain injury caused by being on the laptop to much!

Sue x

• Posted

It's so difficult when you have a job which means you need to be putting weight on it all day, sorry you have that added issue.  Sounds silly but try standing on alternate legs if you're standing still for long periods.  If you're moving around a lot, that will obviously increase wear and tear, try to park yourself on a chair as often as work will allow, even if only for a few minutes at a time, it may help to reduce the wear and tear.  I've definitely decided that having to work is injurious to my health - it's why the rich and famous always appear to look younger and healthier than the rest of us poor slaves to the paycheck sad
    • Posted

Yep thats true wish i could i come home and just flake out most evenings thank your message its nice to have people who understand what im going through need a new body hugsxx
  • Posted

Hi HOTpicks

I was diagnosed with oesteoarthiritis in my left knee only just before my diagnosis of Fibro in Aug 2014.  I do have many good days but these last few weeks, I seem to be in pain when climbing stairs whether it is going up or down. So frustrating. 

Gentle Hugs.....We must not let our pains get the better of us. Take care wink x

• Posted

Tellme about it trying not to but its all piling upon me getting depressed even with my tabs sending hugsyour way thank youxx
  • Posted

Poor you HOTpicks, I've had O A too for years too now .really feeling for you..I'm in Australia-Tasmania it's winter and it's horrid on the arthritis......,.just another autoimmune issue under the belt..I had OA before I had the Fibro diagnosis...which made the Fibro diagnosis harder ....chin up, half full glass an all...once you get used to having it, you'll be right, it just encouraged me no end..when I look around and see soo much worse suffering, if you know what I mean......look after you..as Kaz says: spoil yourself once in a while..takes your mind off it....also really helps too, if you help/spoil someone else who is needy/suffering...works wonders...imagine if it was you...be stoked...be blessed...have a lovely day...I'm in love with hot water bottles for Fibro and OA... Also stress free is such a key to living with Fibro too..:-) xxx
  • Posted

im so sorry to hear that and hope your ok x
    • Posted

if you ever want to talk private message me im there for you x
    • Posted

thats ok its what friends are for and we are all friends here we have to be cause only us understand whats going on x
    • Posted

Soo true dont think people who havent got any of the symptoms know how to handle the ones who have and are sufferingsad
    • Posted

exactly and i hope your feeling better i know im not but i will be ok just need to get my sleep sorted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.