No more crutches!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I just left my appointment with surgery after 5 weeks post surgery, bimalleolar fracture, 9 screws and a plate. So the surgeon said throw away the crutches. By the time I left there and stopped in at the PT, then to the store I could walk without the crutches. It hurt and was tight but slowly became easier. I start Pt next week and by the end of next week I will know if I can start working again. He wants me to see how next week goes for me. I am icing it now. It feels great to stand and walk!!!!!!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yay!!!!! That's awesome! I'm right there with you, but I've been scared to walk since I got my boot on Monday. I thought about waiting until PT starts next week, but you're inspiring me to give it a shot!

• Posted

Try it! I felt pins and needles at first and it took about 15 minutes before I would lose the crutches. My steps are slow and careful. Standing is easier and feels amazing! Maybe it will be the same for you..
    • Posted

Just walked all over the house with crutches . . . Slowly and carefully!!! It was just like you said, pins and needles and tender, but not actually painful. Thank you for the inspiration!
    • Posted

That's great! It is a weird sensation for sure. I am happy for you!!!!

• Posted

Yay. That is great news! I'm sure you're going to to progress fast. Don't let minor disruptions upset your progress. Am very happy for you! That's how its supposed to happen.👣👍👏👣🌈👣🚶👍👏🌼🌞🌻

• Posted

Actually you've made my day!🌞🌼🌻👏🌞👍🌼🚶🌼👣

• Posted

Thank you so much! I know it won't always be easy but it feels like solid progress....

• Posted

That is awesome news! Congratulations on your wonderful progress! I hope I'll be able to report something similar in the near future.

• Posted

Ss315,

Thank you so much. I feel blessed to actually be able to stand and move. It is so exciting and a bit of a relief. I hope to hear similar progress from you soon.

• Posted

You're welcome! When did you have your surgery? I'm 5 weeks post surgery too and can't imagine walking yet! I'm supposed to begin partial weight bearing next week. I go back for another X-ray on the 6th and will hopefully find out about PT then.

• Posted

I had my surgery on July 19th. So about 5 weeks ago. I had my x ray 2 days ago but just got the go ahead today to start walking in my boot. It took like 15 minutes to go from slowly pressing down to taking small steps to letting go of holding onto anything

But I walk like I have a peg leg, lol. Not much ankle flexion yet. I am glad to have PY next week.

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words!!! I am also excited to sleep without the boot. It's funny how exciting all of this can be after the 2 long months since the injury.

Hey I also found that my hiking boots even out with my boot so I don't have to buy anything to even out my feet. My wedge heels were actually too high.

• Posted

You sound like you are so close to the same time frame as me. The home stretch towards some normalcy! Lete know how it goes for you.
    • Posted

I had my surgery on July 20th! But you seem much further ahead than I am. You give me inspiration though so keep posting your progress and updates 😀

• Posted

I've been sleeping without my boot for a couple of weeks now and it does feel good to take it off. You're very lucky to have hiking boots to even out your gait. I'm going to get the even up shoe thing when I get to the point of walking. I have to buy some new sneakers because none of my current sandals or shoes give me enough support. I just hope I'll be able to wear them when I return to work. Speaking of work, when do you think you'll be able to return?

• Posted

I know what youean. I am going to look ridiculous going to work in a boot and a hiking boot. I might buy some cargo pants to finish off the look of a hurt hiker, lol. I had given notice at my job and only had one week left before I was supposed to start a new job. I was a subcontractor in a state prison in the telephone equipment room. My new job is a state job in the medical department at the same prison. I've already seen how the people dress, some strange. So I am thinking that it will be easier for me to get kaki and cargo pants so the 2 boots won't look too bad. But I was really lucky this happened when I was still employed because I am on short-term disability and that is helping pay the out of pocket medical bills. I am hoping next week I can notify them that I can start the following week..so two weeks, maybe. This morning I got up with no issues..no added swelling or pain. So far, so good! I can't wait for yoy to stand on two feet. It is an amazing feeling after not doing it for so long.

• Posted

Sounds like everything is really coming together nicely for you! I'm out on workers compensation and have no idea when I'll be going back. I had just started this job, I was only there for 2 weeks when I fell. I concur about being glad it happened there because at least I'm not paying the enormous medical bills. I do feel a little guilty about being out but I don't want to rush back only to do something further to injure myself. I wish I could wear hiking boots and khakis. I think you'll blend right in!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.