No Morphine

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone had TAH and not had morphine after as really don't want this drug in my body and would rather have either an alternative or no pain relief at all. And if not had pain relief then truthfully how painful have you found it.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I didn't have morphine after my op last June.  It's not that I didn't want it, they just didn't give me any cry Don't know why because the lady in the bed across from me had it and she had the same oncologist gynaecologist as me.   I wasn't in any pain though as I had a general anaesthetic and a spinal and had regular painkillers later, think it was paracetamol, cocodamol and ibuprofen.   I wouldn't recommend having no pain relief at all though.  I had liquid morphine on day 3 though as I was having a lot of bowel pain during the night but think I only had it once. I had oxygen via my nose, no mask and a drip and catheter for the first 24 hrs or so. 

• Posted

I'm due my op in a month. Is it normal to have oxygen mask and catheter after hysterectomy op then? I've only had investigation op before and didn't have either and was expecting this op to be the same but with more pain and less mobility and longer recovery.
    • Posted

I don't know if it's normal, but certainly on my ward, everyone had a catheter, a morphine drip and oxygen for the first night post op. I got my catheter out the next morning, it doesn't hurt, just feels strange, and they also took away the morphine and oxygen. I had to have a two prong thingy put on for the oxygen as I kept taking the mask off. I did not want the morphine taking away as I was still in pain and the codeine and paracetamol really don't ease it initially. You will also have surgical stockings on, initially full length, but then knee length after the first day. In my hospital, I had to wee in a paper pot the first time as they need to measure output. I also had to give a sample the next couple of times too. Don't actually know why.

I wasn't made to get up until the following morning but they were insistent that I get up and get washed and showered then.

Don't try to pull yourself up from lying flat. I raised the bed to a sitting position, turned on my side and managed to swing my legs around on to the floor. If I had to move from sitting to standing, and vice versa, I pressed a small rolled towel against my stomach and that helped.

I was allowed home after two nights as I was walking around the ward constantly. I had not had a bowel movement but apparently if you have bowel sounds and have passed wind, you are ok to leave.

I was sent home with two pairs of stockings and 5 dressings that I had to change every two days. I was supposed to keep the stockings on for 6 weeks but managed two. Hope that helps a bit

• Posted

Thank you. Gives me a bit of heads up as I'm expecting it to be like my lap investigation where I was up and about the hr after op even if not easily. At least I won't be disappointed when I'm not!
    • Posted

Not sure what is classed as the 'norm' but when I came round I had the morphine drip, the oxygen mask (which goes hand in hand with the morphine as the drug lowers your oxygen levels (sorry Neverstaystill if I've just given you another reason why you don't want the morphine) ), a catheter and I aslo had a wound drain. Not everyone has a wound drain, it very much depends if there are any adhesions which leaves behind an open wound inside. Hope that helps xx
    • Posted

Thank you. I think I would have freaked having mask on that something had gone wrong if I wasn't told this. Very grateful x
  • Posted

had op monday had orramorph twice only on op day and day one rest of the time on paracetamol on day 3 now
  • Posted

I had vaginal hysterectomy 19 days ago but wasn't given morphine.  However I did have an open cholecystectomy in 2013 with self administered morphine.  I was very poorly after the op and was advised to keep 'pressing the button'.  I became very ill and nauseous until I worked out that it was the morphine making me ill.  They then switched to paracetamol which was much better.  However, I honestly think we should listen to our bodies before blindly taking pain relief. I am told anti-inflammatories slow the healing process, and I personally didn't bother with my codeine at all, as I didn't want the associated constipation.  My advice is take it if you need it, but don't be frightened to say you'd rather try without.  Good luck. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.