No pain passing stone??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wanted to share what I've tried to help me get through my last 2 stones. The past 2 times. I've bypassed the excruciating pain and the stone went straight to my bladder. I started to feel a lot of pressure like if i have a UTI, as soon as i feel this i take a Flomax and a Macrobid pill. Flomax is generally used for an enlarged prostate but my Dr prescribed it when I'm having an episode. Macrobid is used to treat UTI's. I start drinking lots of water and within a few hours the stone passes. My most recent one was 3mm and it passed within 15 minutes of taking those medications. I had a CT scan and currently have 2 smaller stones in the left kidney. Dr recommended drinking at least 2 liters of water a day, which sounds impossible, but anything to never have to deal with stones again. Good luck everyone and I hope this might help in some way.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not sure exactly how big my stone is but both the Urologist and the Consultant said it was much too big to either pass or blast.

I have an appointment with another Urologist in Cheltenham on 13th June and I really hope this is the beginning of them removing the stone surgically.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I just saw this! Sorry I'm so late, I'm hoping they removed the stone and you're feeling better.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I have now seen the urologist in Cheltenham and he has referred me to a urologist in Bristol. He said radiologists had looked at my scan and thought it was not possible to remove the stone by keyhole. He said it could not possibly be in a more awkward position for them to get at. TRUST ME! Alos the fact that I have horseshoe kidneys (they are joined together) does make it a lot more difficult.

However Bristol have seen the scan and consider they can get to the stone by keyhole so that is what the urologist at Cheltenham has advised me to do.

I have an appointment with the urologist in Cheltenham on 20th October and I really am hoping he is going to operate this year.

It has all been complicated and I have had to get funding from my local health board to be treated in England because I live in Wales.

In the meantime the pain of the kidney stone comes and goes. One minute I can be fine and the next in agony, can't really plan anything. Basically I now just want my life back

I will of course keep you updated and thank you again for your reply.

Sarah

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're still going through this! Praying for a solution and speedy recovery when they finally do remove it.

• Posted

I loved hearing this! I currently have a 1mm Stone in my kidney and I'm living in constant fear of the excruciating pain I recall from passing the last 2 stones. Dr prescribed Flomax this time. Hope that will help like in your case! (Did the Flimax have side effects?)

• Posted

I didn't feel any side effects from the flomax. Good luck and I hope it passes with no complications. Keep us posted!

• Posted

Thanks, I'll do that! Is there any chance it will just remain where it is (upper pole) and never pass?

• Posted

Yes, it could sit there for months or years but keep in mind if it does stay it could get bigger. I currently have 1 in each kidney. Try to stay away from things that can aggravate it. For me I've noticed if I drink coke It causes it to move and it's the worst pain ever. I haven't had a coke in over a year. Salt also aggravates it. These are my personal opinions, everyone is different. My Dr said that increasing your water intake can help avoid them. He says drinking 2 liters of water a day is normal. I haven't been able to do that quite yet.

• Posted

Does Flomax make you urinate more?  Doesn't it take 4 weeks for it to start working ?  

• Posted

I was told it relaxes the muscles so it makes it easier to urinate, I didn't notice it made me go more though. Thankfully the 2 times I've used this medication it helped me pass the stone within a few hours. And I immediately start drinking a lot of water to help pass the stone. I should note that I took the flomax once the stone was in the bladder already.

• Posted

My urologist told me that the pain comes after it leaves the kidney and as its traveling down the ureter to the bladder and that once it gets into the bladder the pain is gone. Apparently, the flomax dilates the ureters. That being said, wouldn't it be better to take the flomax at the first sign of pain? (Indicating that it's in the ureters?) Just trying to be prepared! This is awful...each day I live in fear!

• Posted

Yes you should take it at the first sign of pain but remember I bypassed the pain and they went straight through to the bladder? It doesn't hurt when it's in your bladder but you feel a lot of pressure!

• Posted

Your comments are very helpful, Elizabeth! (and encouraging!) How did you bypass the pain as the stones traveled?
    • Posted

I went through a no pop phase because I feel it contributes to me getting stones so I was only drinking water. I think the stones were small and they got flushed out with all the water I was drinking. But trust me I've passed about 6 stones already and 2 of them while i was pregnant. I know the pain very well!

• Posted

Elizabeth. ..have you ever had the horrible pain even with pan pills and flomax? Do you also take something for the nausea?
    • Posted

Yes, I usually know when I'm about to pass one cuz my lower back starts to hurt and it's a constant pain that doesn't go away. It starts getting worse throughout the day and I usually go to the ER for the pain. They usually give me morphine and zofran for the nausea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.