No pain passing stone??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wanted to share what I've tried to help me get through my last 2 stones. The past 2 times. I've bypassed the excruciating pain and the stone went straight to my bladder. I started to feel a lot of pressure like if i have a UTI, as soon as i feel this i take a Flomax and a Macrobid pill. Flomax is generally used for an enlarged prostate but my Dr prescribed it when I'm having an episode. Macrobid is used to treat UTI's. I start drinking lots of water and within a few hours the stone passes. My most recent one was 3mm and it passed within 15 minutes of taking those medications. I had a CT scan and currently have 2 smaller stones in the left kidney. Dr recommended drinking at least 2 liters of water a day, which sounds impossible, but anything to never have to deal with stones again. Good luck everyone and I hope this might help in some way.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So do you go to the ER and stay till it passes? Or do you take flomax and pain pills at home and go to ER if it doesn't improve? I went to the ER the 2 times I've had one and, fortunately, they both passed within 8 hours, but 8 horrible hours! I live in US also. (California)

• Posted

No, I just go for the pain. I usually don't pass the stone right away. Longest it's taken is 2 weeks. That was horrible. But yes, if I can tolerate pain I just take the flomax and pain pills at home and drink a lot of water until I pass it. Sometimes it's within a few hours other times it's a few days. My Dr told me I should be drinking 2 liters of water a day. I can't do that much, but I know in your case it might help so you can flush it out before it gets bigger.

• Posted

I'm just terrible about drinking, which I'm sure is why I make stones. (You'd think I'd learn!) I'm trying though! I can't imagine 2 weeks of the kind of pain that I had for those 8 hours! In 2 weeks time did it come and go? Did you just lay in bed all day? How'd you even live a normal life? Or am I just a wimp? Maybe I'm not able to handle pain life most? I'm scared to go anywhere or do anything!

• Posted

I tried to go to work during one of the times, but I couldn't handle it. Yes, basically just laid in bed crying the whole time. I prayed a lot, i don't do well with pain at all. All you can do is wait until it passes. I've read some of the posts on here and have no idea how they've gotten through those rough times.

• Posted

Well I think you're one of them if you managed to get by with no pain the last two times!! I can't handle pain either and both times when I passed one I just layed there totally CONSUMED with pain. I was so focused on it that I couldn't even think of anything else! I'm trying so hard to figure out ways around that this time!

• Posted

I know when I'm going through an episode, I find it hard to understand how life is going on outside and I'm in horrible pain, lol. I think you'll be ok. Just remember drink a lot of water.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth. I think I passed a small stone or two. Is it possible that there are no more? In your experience did you pass many at the same time? I’m going for an ultrasound on Sat. I’m hoping the tech can give me some information same day bc I’m so anxious about what the ultrasound will show.
    • Posted

Hi, I've only passed 1 at a time thank God. They usually take a few days to give me the results, not sure if it's different where you live. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. After you pass the stone do you feel instantly better? Or is your body sore for a while. I have flank pain. It’s better than before but I still feel a dull ache. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.