No safe foods! PLEASE HELP-GERD

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, Here is some background really quick. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about 7 years ago. Recently I had been diagnosed with severe grade 3 gerd. I believe I have LPR due to my symptoms I have every single symptom and not really any for gerd. I have tried changing my diet but everything hurts. I feel that no matter what I eat... I do not get relief. I never want to eat anymore... and when I dont eat or skip a meal I also feel awful! So sometimes I just eat what I want. I have no idea what to do my GP doesnt know what to do. She just sends me to a gastroenterologist and they just throw antacids at me whixh I have told them has made me feel worse. All I need to know is if someone else out there is going through the same thing. I am really scared of getting

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there. Although I dont have acid reflex, I do suffer problems with the lining of my stomach and the recommended medicine for this is also antacids. I do find that these do not help and irritate my stomach. I have been suffering for 18 years and was once semi cured by a homeopath but we were then burgled and the stress set my condition off again. That was about four years ago. The only thing that I have found is really helping is making green vegetable smoothies, not juice!

It makes your system more alkaline and I wonder if this would help you. I find if I eat sugar, wheat or dairy, that this makes my condition worse as these are all acid forming foods so it would be best to avoid them.  It might be worth trying green

smoothies, it is something that I am having good results from as long as I stick

to a low acid diet.  All the best.

• Posted

Hi Maureen. I dont bother going to the Drs anymore, they just tell me Im depressed. Stress obviously makes you more acidic, I put spinach, cucumber, brocoli, alfalfa sprouts, avocado and romaine lettuce in my green smoothie with water.  I have definitely noticed a difference from drinking it.  I feel less acidic, more energised and it is supposed to be very healing.  My problem was initially caused from taking too many painkillers and antibiotics which attacked my stomach lining, but 18 years ago nobody warned you about how many tablets you could take

safely. All the best.

• Posted

How much of these vegetables do you put in and how much water and do you just mix it in a blender. Also have you got any thoughts on camomile tea because someone told me it is good for your stomach.
    • Posted

I have bought a nutribullet off Amazon.  Have a look at them and the reviews. I use the bigger glass and fill it up to the line with a handful of

each vegetable and top up with water.  The smoothy maker costs £95 but is well worth it. Ive not tried chamomile tea as my stomach is so sensitive and I dont want to start it burning.  It probably is good for your stomach, but theres nothing like green natural vegetables for nutrients and they say an alkaline body does not get ill.  

• Posted

I have a normal food blender and a juicer that was quite expensive would i ne able to make it in either one of those if so if i put in one handful of each veg how much water do you think i would need and how many times do you drink this smoothie.where do you buy alfalfa sprouts and what do they look like
    • Posted

Could you tell me what other kinds of food you eat that are alkaline
    • Posted

You could probably use a normal blender if you dont mind all the washing up. With a juicer, you lose most of the vegetables which apparently have all the nutrition in. I buy my alfalfa sprouts from Revital health store. Do you have a local health store that might stock them. I use a handful of each of the vegetables and a large glassful of water. Just use the amount of water you need to make it drinkable.

I was just having one a day, but last week I caught a nasty stomach bug which has left my stomach really bad so I am having a second one after dinner and am finding this is calming it down. I tend to have it through a straw as its not the nicest tasting drink but somehow it seems not so bad through a straw.

• Posted

I eat a very bland, boring diet. I eat the same food every day, which in combination with the green juice really does help.  Trouble is as soon as I strart to feel better, I think I can eat anything so I do, then I get ill again.

I only drink water, eat prawns, salmon, cod and chicken, potatoes and veg and gluten free oat porridge for breakfast with a banana. The foods that make me ill are sugar, wheat, dairy and fatty foods because they are all acid forming.

• Posted

Yes we have a Holland and Barrett health food store in next town or can buy online.At what time of day do you drink the smoothie.Does it taste bad.
    • Posted

Not sure if Holland and Barrett stock alfalfa sprouts but I dont think

you necessarily have to have them. Any green vegetable is full of goodness and will be alkaline to your body, which will hopefully help your acid reflux.

I tend to have my first smoothy an hour after lunch but at the moment am having a second an hour after dinner. They dont taste that bad through a straw but I dont care really, as its helping me and I would take anything if it makes me better.

• Posted

Could you tell me what kinds of thing you eat for breakfast is porridge good or bran cereal's.Do you drink milk .
    • Posted

Alfalfa sprouts cost about £1.50 a punnet. I eat gluten free porridge in the morning with a banana and made with water. I cant have dairy. Dairy, for me, is the worst offender for making too much acid and leaves me feeling very sick so I would definitely avoid dairy if you suffer from acidity.
    • Posted

Do you mix your porridge with milk .Do you eat any fresh fruits other than bananas because i found a good food list on internet that has other non acidic fruits
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for your tips i will try everything and fingers crossed it will work for me ill let you know how i get along with it hope we can still stay in touch if you got any more suggestions i will gladly give them a go .
    • Posted

Hi Maureen. Just try and eat quite a bland diet for a few weeks, along with the green smoothies and see if it helps. I would definitely avoid any dairy and limit wheat and sugar if  you can. Obviously, your symptoms are different from mine so I can only advise you but if you need to reduce the acid in your stomach, this should help. I am going to try and be as good as I can for a while on my diet to allow the green smoothies to hopefully do some healing. Let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

Do you ever eat small snacks if so what .Do you think pumpkin and sunflower seeds would be ok
    • Posted

Yes seeds are very good for you.  I also snack of walkers baked crisps and popcorn. Nuts are good for you as well but I have trouble digesting fat.

Also ryvita would probably be ok, I have the ones with the seeds on. You could probably tolerate a lot more than I can because my stomach lining

has been damaged.

• Posted

Ok will try thankyou will let you know how i get on.Is nice talking to you
    • Posted

hi emma

similar situation and i am 1 inch away from doing same as you.........

green smoothies......i think naturopathic is the way to go!

• Posted

Hi there. I have been to see so many different natural health professionals over the years and spent a lot of money. The trouble is it gets very expensive and for some reason, my stomach just wont let me try any type of medicine, even homeopath which did have very good results in the past.

I do hope you can get some help for your problem. I have been ill for so long now and have had to give up work. I do find if I limit the stress in my life, eat a bland healthy diet and have green smoothies, that my stomach starts to improve but I get bored with a limited diet and then start to cheat.

Is your stomach lining damaged? What happened to cause your problems?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.