No stock of Venlafaxine?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Can anyone help me? I’ve been to collect my prescription today for venlafaxine that I’ve been taking for several months and has help me immensely, only to be told sorry it’s not stocked anymore and referred me back to my GP! Has anyone else had the same issue? I’m worried now as it’s the only medication that’s ever worked and I’ve had a few antidepressants over the years! Thanks

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I think that's wrong because the sudden withdrawal is very difficult to come with can you speak with your local MIND helpline they may suggest a way to get some or help you with a substitute Pat

• Posted

I've had the same problem and Lloyds Pharmacy haven't been at all helpful. They didn't suggest any alternatives or know what's causing the shortage. Does anyone else know what the problem is?

• Posted

I believe they are phasing them out, (or in our case stopped them) and moving to the exdended release.  That’s the info I have received from the GP. 
    • Posted

I've managed to discover this today, but couldn't get hold of a gp to give me a new prescription and now I'll have to wait until Monday, although I'll run out on Sunday! I'm really annoyed that lloyds didn't suggest this a month ago when they gave me the last of their stock.

• Posted

I was on the extended release tablets for about two and a half years and successfully weaned off them

Ft

no TV TV in

• Posted

Hi all, after much research and talking to various Doctors and pharmacies i have got to the bottom of why venlafaxine has been discontinued in the UK. It has already been banned in the USA, Canada and the rest of Europe.

Basically the licence yes has been revoked, however what they have not been so open about is the fact this has happened due to venlafaxine having the same make up as heroin.

http://www.martincwiner.com/effexor-venlafaxine-is-a-narcotic/

This is just one of numerous articles explaining the issues regarding venlafaxine. It is all down to the withdrawl process basically as hard to come off of as heroin because of the similarities in its make up.

I have automatically been switched to Venlalic by the doctors and pharmacy.

• Posted

Wow, that's exactly the information I needed to know.  Thanks so much for publishing it. 

My view is that Venlafaxine is very effective for me and I have not knowingly suffered any side effects until now, when I'm abruptly having to stop taking it.  If I'd been warned before I started taking it, I'd have gone ahead because the balance of risk between becoming addicted, and continuing with the unbearable, anxious, depressed and suicidal feelings I was having makes it well worthwhile.  I've been on the same dose for two years and have never needed an increase.  I wake up feeling happy most days and able to function normally, in spite of experiencing some dreadful life events during that time.  

I've phoned my GP yet again this morning, and made it clear that I am not going to be fobbed off as I was last week.  I need a new prescription and I need it today!

April

• Posted

That doesn’t surprise me but also scares me!! I didn’t take them for 1.5 days and I felt terrible - shakes, pins and needles, numbness, dizzy, palpatations. Luckily I found a pharmacy who stocks them just now but going to book in with my dr and see what a better alternative is. Side effects much worse than when I forgot to take citalopram!
    • Posted

Well that’s shocking! Not a bit of wonder I was in a state after on a couple of days without them. I’m taking the modified release version now, I imagine this will just be the same?! 
  • Posted

I have found this today and I have none left - just told that I need to go to my go Monday - easier said that done?! What am I meant to do - it is so dangerous to stop these sort of meds cold turkey!
    • Posted

I've been eking mine out by taking half the dose for the last 4 days, but not happy about having to do that. I've phoned the surgery 5 times now but they just don't treat it as a priority. The whole reason I'm on these tablets is because of anxiety and depression. I feel embarrassed about needing them anyway and hate having to keep asking for help.

• Posted

Me too I’ll try calling round some pharmacies tomorrow to see if I can find some if not will need to wait to see a gp but again they are meant to ween you off one drug before starting another - I hate the feeling when not taking them - it’s not good 
    • Posted

I had to wait till the Monday and had withdrawal symptoms from just 2 days. I was moved onto the extended release version. It’s unacceptable the stress this has caused everyone, surely there must be some kind of procedure in place for when this happens. Hope you get sorted!
  • Posted

Hi there all! I found this discussion as I've gone to collect my medicines from our local Asda (near Warrington) to be told they are having difficulties obtaining the venlafaxine (75 and 37.5mg ones). They have given me back a print out of the electronic prescription and said to try another pharmacy locally or go back to the GP.

The paperwork says that it's a 'dispensing token only' and has Asda's name on it so I don't know if they will take it anywhere else anyway?

I'd be quite happy to change from venlafaxine as I take 375mg a day and I'm still depressed. I have been on it for maybe 4 years and its been pretty good til fairly recently. My issue is that I have a diagnosis of Bipolar II and also take lithium so the GP is very reluctant to change medication. I do see a consultant but only every few months. I'm panicking as I can't go unmedicated til then when I barely function as it is, let alone the withdrawal symptoms!

• Posted

Hi Ellen

I understand exactly how panicky you feel as I was in the same position two weeks ago. My doctor changed my prescription to the slow release version Effexor which I was able to get. I haven't noticed any difference in its effects and I found an information leaflet on the manufacturers website which says that patients can change straight from one to the other without any need to phase it in.

Good luck

April

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.