No stock of Venlafaxine?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Can anyone help me? I’ve been to collect my prescription today for venlafaxine that I’ve been taking for several months and has help me immensely, only to be told sorry it’s not stocked anymore and referred me back to my GP! Has anyone else had the same issue? I’m worried now as it’s the only medication that’s ever worked and I’ve had a few antidepressants over the years! Thanks

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just wanted to say I visited the doctor and explained I couldn’t get my prescription for venlafaxine tablets and explained I went to a chemist that said to just ask the doctor for prolonged release. She did give me a prescription for these but she also said this does sometimes happen when there are not enough supply for everyone. She told me to check with my chemist before handing prescription over.

when I received my prescription I had two boxes from different suppliers, so I am wondering if there is an ongoing problem with supply. I guess time will tell!

• Posted

Hi , I have same problem in Central Scotland.No communication between GP and Pharmacy. I was given Substitute VENLALIC XL 150mg 1 twice a day to replace my 300mg of Velafaxine 75mg x 4 a day. Well, all I can say is that past 2 weeks have been a nightmare! It has been like Sudden Withdrawal from my usual Tablets to this XL Stuff ! I am not happy at all. Anyone else that has experienced this I feel for you..I hope you have been ok.
    • Posted

Hi I know how you feel. I’ve been on the XL for 5 weeks and I’m just starting to settle.  The GP tells me there’s no difference apart from how it’s released into the body, but. All I can say is I felt a lot better on the other version! Hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hope you feel better soon. I have, in the past forgotten to take the tablets and know what sudden withdrawal is like. I'm still not happy about this whole situation though. It is not a good way to find out medication is not available . Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi stephanie - I ordered my repeat prescription but chemist is still saying out of stock. Have only 7 left and I am really worried if I don't get them. It is 37.5 slow release capsule. Did you get yours eventually?

• Posted

Hi, Irene here. I know it's a big worry when they run out of this stuff. I managed to get some from Boots as Lloyd's ran out ! As far as I'm concerned.. it Totally unacceptable that a drug like this can be unavailable! The chemists don't tell the Doctors it's not.. and it's only when you go to pick up prescription..you find out !! I had.. AGAIN..to phone round to see what Chemist had it !! Bleeping*** ridiculous! I have had the buzzing in my head.. confusion.. overthinking.. worrying about things I shouldn't etc... Hope you're ok 😊

• Posted

i had constant trouble getting my med's, chemist blaming me when i'd ordered them in time ,chemist blaming doctor, doctor blaming chemist , prescriptions going missing this was every month for 10 years at Boots they would argue blacks white. i was told to change to local chemist by a friend, best thing i ever did two years  on ,never a problem ,they always have my med's in stock  they order them  every month  for me and they even deliver them. the grief i got was so bad from BOOTS i used to get worse anxiety when i knew i had to get my script

• Posted

Thanks Chris - that is good to know. Don't know why my usual chemist can't get it when I did get it at another chemist and they said they have no bother getting it in stock!

• Posted

WhenI I got this problem my doctor changed me to slow release. I got that for one month, then that was out of stock as well! It's such a worry, and ironic considering its a drug to help with anxiety. I'm ordering my as early as I think I can get away with now, so I've got time to go to another pharmacy if necessary.

• Posted

Hi April, the "out of stock" of an antidepressant that we rely on is quite frankly Unbelievable to me.. I have lost friends etc.. because of my erratic behaviour when I forgot to take it, and then being changed to slow release and not being told how to take it properly!!! Ahhh!!! I am so angry about this!! Sooner I'm off this drug the better! Best of luck to you.. don't know what will happen if it all runs out and I'd like to know why...I've tried to find out but We can't.. we're ..Just the Patients ! Daa!! X

• Posted

Hi everyone, I got switched to the modified release and haven’t had any problems getting them. I’ve made a point of speaking to the chemists (Tesco & Morrisons) to ask if there are any issues with the supply and they assured me there wasn’t. 

• Posted

Latest update, Lloyd's continually having a problem with supply of 75mg so I was having to take 37.5's which have also sometimes been out of stock. The lack of communication between pharmacy/GP and them both failing to notify the patient is getting beyond a joke. My GP has now put me on 2x150mg slow release permanently as I was loosing count of how many 37.5's to take/had taken due to the way the med dosage labels were printed as it meant I was having to work out the dosage myself and getting totally confused and wound up. The whole situation is pathetic.

• Posted

Hi Alan, know exactly how you feel ! I was given the slow release.. took them the way I took the Instant release 75mg twice a day..Wrong! The Full dose of slow release is meant to be taken all at once...once a day. Not explained to me.. so I ended up over dosing on them..too complicated to explain but..You are right!! Nil communication between GPs and Pharmacy! Think we are just Numbers and statistics now! I can't wait to reduce this stuff, until I'm off it ! If I need another anti depressant once I'm off it...well I'll figure it out when the time comes.. best of luck and wishes to you. X

• Posted

Hi Irene it does seem that the inadequacy of those pharmacies to supply your medication in the correct doses was a problem you should not have had added to your illness.I suffered my depression over two years ago andante honestly say that my pharmacist never let me down. I did get horrible "brain zaps" when I forgot to take my medically with me one weekend so I can imagine how you may have suffered. I wish you a better deal for the future.Pat

• Posted

Hope it's ok to add this this to the discussion, but it is stress/anxiety related as it involves my meds, one of which is Venlafaxine. I am on a host of meds for various health problems and my pharmacy ask for 48 hrs notice to handle all repeat scripts, so when I handed my repeat in on Monday of this week as I run out of most meds on Thursday, it came as a bit of a shock to be told by the pharmacist herself that she couldn't guarantee they'd be able to complete the request before the end of the week and immediately blamed the GP surgery if there was a delay! I decided there and then to get the repeat delivered  by my partner to the surgery , which is over 3 miles away so that at least I'd know they had it. I don't know what the problem is with the pharmacy/GP service in my area, but I have been told that my pharmacy is the one with the least hassle dealing with it???? Stress? What stress?

• Posted

i got so stressed each month over the constant hassle with meds that i asked my wife to take over ordering them and get them. i put her down at the doctors and chemist. as my carer and in charge of my tablets, thinking that i was mean messed about because of mental health issues.  for 10 year she had the same hassel till she refused to do them any more ,because she was sick to death of the hassle with Boots the 8loody chemist. till someone suggested to use local chemist as they care more. 2 years on  with local chemist, never a problem they order and they deliver them each month. Boots used to alway blame doctor and one time when i complained i had no venlafaxine the pharmacist at Boots through the remaining tablet on to the counter at me and told me to go home  and stop complaining because i had no tablet. this is how they treat people that are courteous and polite

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.