No tricolor. Just cold to red

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Dr claims it's raynauds. My hands, feet, ears, and one time, knees will turn red and warm. Happens once a day or so... Just started out of the blue two months ago. Never turns white or blue

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think how the Raynauds affects you is different for each person, and may be different for the extremities (ie hands have different reaction than feet/lower legs). 

For me, my upper extremities turn red initially when in the cold and are white to the touch. My lower body goes red and blue immediately. My right leg is much more affected and is a constant red, blue, and bruised color. 

I’m guessing you live somewhere cold. In the winter everything is much, much worse. 

For reference I have secondary and have had it all my life. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Do your hands and feet flush? Get warmer than other non-red areas of skin? My knuckles and feet are literally warmer than other areas of skin. Totally freaks my wife out. She can't believe my toes are a million degrees and my heel is ice... Sound familiar at all?

• Posted

Hi, it sounds a lot like erythromelagia; like Raynauds, it affects the small vasculature but causes redness and intense heat in the affected area (I have it in my hands, but it has lessened as the effects of Raynaud's have progressed).

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/erythromelalgia/

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

So does it go away eventually? I've seen erethmelgalia online but it always mentions pain. Mine doesn't really hurt. Just warm.

• Posted

Mine didn't hurt to begin with, like you, just hot and red but as time went on, a sort of toothache pain developed when it was happening.It hasn't gone away but I then  went on to develop Raynaud's phenomenon and as this worsened, cold fingers, the erythromelagia now only happens in the evening when typing and CH is on. It doesn't seem to go, if you look at the literature but GPs often haven't heard of it and need a bit of a prod for a diagnosis.

• Posted

Does anything take the pain away? How long have you had it? Is it worse in cold months?
  • Posted

I don't take any painkillers for it, the advice as far as I can see is to elevate the affected parts. It began in 2012 in the summer and was confined to warm weather to begin with but now it can happen with hoovering etc, CH in the winter. The same blood vessels are now being affected by both erythromelagia (an increase in their girth with a rush of blood) and Raynaud's which causes constriction to the vessels  and poor blood supply. Do your fingers turn colour if you have been out in the cold, the two often go together?

• Posted

Two years ago I had one or two raynauds attacks of fingers where they went white, then blue, then red from being out in the cold. But that was it ... Now I don't get 3 colors. Just ice cold to warm and red. Only last 15-30 mins and it never happens early in the day (7am to 1:00)

• Posted

CH is central heating, the erythromelagia is brought on by warm temperatures and Raynaud's brought on by cold temperatures.

Just make your doctor aware that you seem to have the two conditions running together.

• Posted

Red is final stage and now u have blood going to your fingers and just that initial shock will give u pain pins and needles
  • Posted

I was a mechanic for railroad for 27 years and always used big impact guns to break loose nuts and bolts the spinning and vibration of the gun over the years caused me to get carpal tunnel had operation on both hands too separate the bundle of veins and nerves shortly after that I was dianoised with Raynaud’s disease because my fingers would go numb turning white to blue and then black in the beginning it would take my fingers 15 minutes to return to normal and that was after massaging them soaking them in like warm water and placing them next to a heater now 22years later it takes up to 1 hour to get my feeling back and the pain is unbelivelely I get it in the summer time and even more so in the winter and I also noticed that if I frazzled my nerves can cause it I’m so beside myself cause when it happens I can’t hold onto anything cause I have no feeling now these days I’m also have my feet turning whit in the shower and they are numb also it a progressive disease and never stops drs offer pills and according to all the stories I read about taking this pills people are losing fingers and limbs so I suggest u never go on that type of regiment I’ve used every type of warm gloves and discovered that that therapy doesn’t work neither so I don’t know what to do except live with it and of all the stories I read nobody has ever said that they had the last color change of black which freaks me out cause  this is when I can lose fingers to gangreign I wish you the best of luck and that god will cure tat disease write back and let me know of your views me thanks for reading sincerely me frozen
    • Posted

Geez. And you would think there would be a treatment for this... That's what blows my mind...Prayers...

• Posted

What ever u do don’t go on the pills that drs prescribe people are losing digits and limbs over it
    • Posted

Have you talked to a doctor about the black stage? Maybe a "big city" hospital would have more resources...

• Posted

I'm on calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure. Which is what I hear is one of the things Drs prescribe to help expand the blood vessels. Have u considered this??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.