No UTI! What is it!?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey there,

About 4 weeks ago, I suffered from what I thought was a UTI. I did a urine sample, gave it to my doctor and he gave me back some antibiotics. I haven't had sexual contact with anyone for 8 months and about 3/4 months ago, I did my routinely check ups for chlaymidia and gonorrehea and they came back negative.

A few days later, I got my UTI results and it came back negative. The antibiotics had cleared up most of the problem however I missed one tablet (not sure if this is the cause) and now I have a very mild stinging sensation at the tip of my penis.

I no longer have a burning sensation when I go to urinate, my urine is normal colour and it dosen't smell. Do you think it's possible that I have damaged my urethra or meatus or cut something inside that is making it sting? The pain on a scale from 1 to 10 is honestly about a 2 but it's there and it's annoying. Should I lay off masturbating for a while? Any advice would be appreciated!

Taken Cipro for the last 5 days and it's made a tiny difference but in all honesty nothing major.

Could I be focusing on the problem so much that it's in my head? Its a very slight irritation but enough to know it's there.

Is there any other possible suggestions on what it could be and if there's any medication to solve it?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Im male btw, 21, slight underweight nothing major.
  • Posted

Hi James, I notice you said the antibiotic you took was Cipro for 5 days. Was that the first antibiotic your doctor gave you, or did you try another one (Trimethoprim maybe) before?  Missing one tablet shouldn't cause you any problems, on the contrary, taking 5 days worth of Cipro may actually be the cause of the trouble.  Cipro is a very strong antibiotic that can cause all kinds of problems in all areas, especially joint and muscle pains, and pripheral pains (fingers, toes and - er - willlies!  My very serious suggestion is that, whatever you do, don't take any more Cipro (or any other Quinolone antibiotic).  have a look at the Quinolone Toxicity thread on this site, or any of the others with Cipro or Quinolone in the title.
    • Posted

Hey again,

I had trimethoprim for 5 days it cleared up most of the infection, just not all of it. I took the full course of Cipro which was 10 days x 500mg two tablets a day. I finished the course today and most of the irritation has gone. It's still there a tiny bit but it only seems to be when I focus on it! Could it be a case where because i'm thinking about it that it's almost caused anxiety towards it?

Not sure what else to suggest since I took tests on gono and chlaymdia a while back and they were fine.

Thanks, have a lovely day!

• Posted

It also seems to be worse after working (wearing tight jeans) for 10 hours, it dosen't even hurt when I feel down there either. Really confused, must be imagining it!
    • Posted

I'm a bit confused too, as you say it cleared up 'most of the infection, just not all of it'.  How do you know?  And 'most of the irrritation has gone', 'still a tiny bit', - what is all this about?  Have you been back to your doctor?

Whatever you do and whatever he says please DO NOT take any more Cipro.  It is a very serious antibiotic and I would say you've had the maximum dose you can get away with.  Men have posted on the quinolone pages of this forum saying they took less tablets than you and they are now in agony, constant pain and can barely walk.  I'm not joking, take a look https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.