Nocturia getting worse - does this sound familiar? Any ideas appreciated!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am 72 years old, and other than the prostate issues, am in excellent health. Work out 3x per week, not overweight, no sugar or junk food.

Had successful treatment for prostate cancer (radiation) in 2014, and a PAE for BPH issues in 2017. The PAE was only partially successful due to median lobe issues.

Now, I am up to two Tamsulosin per day, and my trips to the bathroom are increasing. At night I am up every hour to hour and a half and it takes me 10-20 min each time to clear enough urine from my bladder so that I can get back to sleep. My latest measured PVR was 200ml.

Here's what happens at night: my bladder wakes me up with the message - you have to pee. I go to the bathroom and pee out about 50-75ml. Then, I try to go back to bed, but I still have that sensation in my bladder that I have to pee - so can't get back to sleep. Then, it's back to the bathroom again. I am now up to 3-5 of these repeat peeing attempts before I can actually get to sleep. This condition is getting worse.

I have been able to get some relief by taking Trospium (for overactive bladder), a small amount of melatonin, and Tylenol before going to bed. The Tylenol seems to dull down the bladder irritation.

I have had many urine culture tests and I do NOT have an infection.

The lack of sleep is wearing on me. I have to do something, and I know this decision is coming up soon. My only three options (based on my insurance, location and finances) is a second PAE, a bipolar TURP and Greenlight. Urolift won't work for me because of the median lobe.

I hate to take my little fistful of pills before bed (the second Tamsulosin, Trospium, Tylenol and melatonin), and recently added a few drops of Passion Flower liquid. Anything to help me sleep.

Does any of this sound familiar? Any ideas that might help me would be appreciated.

Tom

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Steven,

Thank you for the info. I will have to self cath until I decide and schedule a procedure - have to get some sleep and can't keep spending half the night in the bathroom.

Tom

• Posted

Tom: I'd like to suggest that you measure the amount of urine that comes out when you self cath before going to bed. If it's a small amount, then I wouldn't expect it to help much. If so, then it could be that the cath is unable to clear your bladder which I believe is possible if a large median lobe creates a valley and the urine sits in the valley below the catheter. Or, it could be that you are producing a lot of urine at night. If this is the case, you might consider compression socks as a way to cajole your body to not store fluid in your legs which then is urinated out at night. In this case you would urinate more liquid during the daytime and less at night (all other things being equal).

OTOH, if the self cathing produces a lot of urine, then it seems likely you should be able to sleep for a fair bit of time before waking up.

• Posted

rdemyan,

The sleep issue is getting so bad that I will have to try to self cath until I can schedule a procedure - pretty sure now it will be a bipolar TURP. I currently void about 100ml per hour at night - I have measured this for a long time. My rate of flow is 5ml/second during the day and about half that at night. So, it takes me a very long time to clear the bladder. I have considered the compression socks. Good idea. Back to the self cath - I haven't done this in five years, so if I can get through the process successfully it will be interesting to find out how much I am retaining. What I am planning to do is to void naturally until I feel my bladder is empty, then try to self cath and see how much more is left. At the uro's office I voided naturally, then when they ran the ultrasound wand over my bladder the doctor said I was still retaining 200ml - no wonder I feel like I have to pee all the time! I do have a concern about the self cath - that it will irritate the uretha and make it even more difficult to void - maybe impossible without another self cath attempt in the middle of the night.

Tom

• Posted

@tom86211:What I am planning to do is to void naturally until I feel my bladder is empty, then try to self cath and see how much more is left.

That is what I do to measure my PVR volumes. Towards the end of my peeing, I tap with my fingers over my bladder for about a minute which may be good for getting out another 20 ml or so. Today at the urologist, he said PVR's less than 150 ml is OK but over 200 ml is not. So far mine are staying around 100 ml give or take 30 ml. He also said that variations in PVR's of 40-50 ml is common.

If your catheter is well lubed, that should minimize any irritation.

How are you measuring your flow rates?

• Posted

Steven,

I have a clear plastic beaker marked in ml that my uro nurse gave me. I can pee in it and count how many seconds it takes, then see the amount of urine in ml. On one Flomax the best I could do was 3ml/second. On two per day, I am up to 5ml/second. So, after about 20 seconds I can pee about 100ml. This is fairly consistent. Then, I always feel there is more urine in my bladder, so I walk around a bit, try to relax the bladder muscles, then I can usually squirt out another 25ml, then do this a few more times before going to bed. I can usually get out 150-175ml before I feel my bladder is empty enough to get to sleep. Then, the whole process starts over again about an hour and a half later. This can take 10-20 minutes to feel like my bladder is not irritating me, so I can get back to sleep. If I don't go through this process I get back in bed, then I can feel the irritation, then it's back up again, over and over again. Last night was the worst. So, this is not getting any better and I have to do something!!

Tom

• Posted

Tom:

I've only self-cathed twice so I'm not going to say anything about how to do the procedure. However, like most things in life, try to relax and remember to breathe. Don't tense up.

With regards to measuring the volume from the self cath, I did it once to check against my bladder scanner. I found that I had to use a big bucket to make sure I got all the liquid coming out of the catheter since it was difficult to control. I then poured the contents from the big bucket into the graduated beaker.

Good luck.

• Posted

rdemyan,

A really good idea. Still haven't done the self cath yet. Guess my past experience with the process is creating a fear issue.

Tom

• Posted

I did it back in November to check my bladder scanner. It was my second time. I have a seat in my shower so I did it disrobed in the shower. The advantage for me was that I could focus on the proper technique without having to worry that I might get urine on my clothes or the floor, etc. Think of ways you can limit what you have to think about while you are performing the self cathing. If you decide to self cath routinely, the advice from others who do that seems to be overwhelmingly that, with time, it is no more difficult than brushing your teeth.

• Posted

@tom86211: I can usually get out 150-175ml before I feel my bladder is empty enough to get to sleep. Then, the whole process starts over again about an hour and a half later.

I know what you are saying about this routine as I have been there and done that. If you self-cath before you go to bed, then you will be empty. Not drinking anything 2 to 2 1/2 hours before you go to be helps too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.