Nodules

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with small patch of Barrett’s 7 years ago. Been taking Prilosec ever since. Just had another endoscopy yesterday. Doc told my spouse (while I was still under sedation) that he found two nodules but not concerned about these and to get another endo in 3 years. Other than that appeared good. As almost always here in US biopsies were taken and waiting results. I know doc not concerned about nodules but I can’t stop worrying about results!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I try and sit up on pillows I don't have my bed raised or a wedge yet. I've been off work this week due to an attack of severe Diverticulitis and cystitis and I have to wait to get the money.

• Posted

Barb, if the nodules show cancer, or even high-grade dysplasia, you'll be notified. No news is good news. However, I've been told by several doctors that 2 years between scopes is standard for Barretts so you might want to get a 2nd opinion on that. I actually had them every year for several years and then went to a 2 year rotation.

• Posted

Here in the states they say the first one after a year and then in 3-5 years. I think that is way to long to wait for something as serious as this.
    • Posted

Actually, I'm in Texas and just recently was told by 4 different doctors that 2 years is standard protocol. I agree completely with you that 3 - 5 years is too long. Barrett's doesn't usually develop into cancer, but sometimes it does, and mine did. If I'd had to wait 3 - 5 years for an endoscopy instead of two, I'd be looking at an entirely different prognosis.

• Posted

Very true I completely agree with you. I'm in Iowa and I'm on state insurance I wonder if that is the difference?

• Posted

I suppose that could have something to do with it. I've been under a few different insurance policies since I was first diagnosed almost 30 years ago. After the initial endoscopy was approved and a diagnosis of Barrett's was made, there has never been a problem having the endoscopies as often as every year. Because I was only 32 or so when I was first diagnosed, the insurance balked a little because Barrett's used to be extremely rare in young women. That's not the case so much anymore. Either way, a doctor can usually appeal to an insurance company to get procedures approved. Last month the company originally denied the PET scan I needed, but then the doctor had a phone call with them and it was approved. He said that it's just a game the insurance companies play.

• Posted

Thank you i will keep that in mind. I am supposed to have another one in a year. Have you cut out any foods from your diet in the 30 years? Any tips for us new to this?
    • Posted

I probably didn't cut out as many things as I could/should have. It didn't seem to matter what I ate, with the exception of a few things, so I ate whatever I wanted. I guess that grapefruit and pineapple were the two things that I couldn't eat at all, because of the acid. I've always loved spicy food but the spiciness has been reduced with age. I didn't drink or smoke so I didn't have to cut those things out, but if you do, I would definitely advice that you stop. I had to cut back on coffee, but I didn't cut it out altogether. I sometimes adjusted on a day-to-day basis, depending on how I was feeling. I've always been a very busy person so I never had time to spend on special diets. I did figure out that I couldn't eat close to bedtime. That would almost always keep me from sleeping well.

The medications and knowledge are so much better today than 30 years ago. Mostly just keep up with your scopes so that if a problem develops you'll know about it sooner rather than later. Good luck with all this.

• Posted

Aww that is just brilliant news biggrin) so happy for you!!! Make sure you spoil yourself to celebrate, such a worrying time!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.