Non bacterial Prostatitis

Posted , 12 users are following.

A few weeks back i was diagnosed with prostatis and am currently on 500 mg cipro for 6 weeks im on week 3 i believe with littlw to no improvement. I am 26 years old and have been cleared from all STDs twice. also urine culture cane back negative for bacteria. my question is would bacterial prostatis show up in urine? if not does that mean these antibiotics are not working? what can i do to treat this?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't know what happened to the rest of my earlier post! I wrote a warning about how Cipro can cause serious and disabling side effects which can be permanent - you can read about it on the fluoroquinolone antibiotic threads on this site. I'm surprised Ken here has said how much better he feels - but then maybe he did have an infection. My warning to Ken is not to take any Ibuprofen or other NSAID for a long time (years!) as this can trigger the side effects. (I appreciate this sounds really daft but trust me - it isn't!).

This link is to a thread here where a couple of guys give details about the exercises they do which have helped them get rid of this pain - they say you need to give them a few weeks. You would do well to ditch the Cipro, avoid Ibuprofen and start the exercises. If I'm wrong you can always go back to the doc.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/diagnosed-with-chronic-non-bactrtial-prostatits-need-advice-674304?page=1#3389168

• Posted

Miriam

Yes I have read about many years ago and on this site before. I have never had a problem with taking Cipro. I know many man can have side effect from taking it. That is why when you take any antibiotic if you have any reaction stop and call your doctor...

Also I do not take Ibuprofen. Thank you for the warning Ken

• Posted

The joke here is that most doctors, when you call them and say you're having a reaction to Cipro, just say keep taking it and the reaction will stop. It doesn't. It can last for years - in some people it lasts for ever.

Good on you for never having a problem - many don't, both men and women. I read of someone on here that took maybe 50 courses (their reckoning) then it suddenly hit them. Others are affected by one single tablet. There is no norm, it is basically a lottery based on your health and the health of your mitochondria. Ken, you may well be able to tolerate ten more courses or ten more tablets, but you'll never know until it happens. Take care.

• Posted

Ken, if a person has previously had tendonitis they should not ever take Cipro or Fluroquinolones.

• Posted

I of course had tendonitis years before and each timeI had the drugs it started within a couple of days and I stopped taking them. I just thought it was tendonitis I did not realise the other effects it was going to bring when prescribed other trigger drugs like Amiodarone , Bisoprolol and another antibitic..

• Posted

Derek

I think I had mine about 10 years ago before all this other stuff started. What did you get yours from. I got mine from a inner lock ear infection. Had it for 3 weeks could not get rid of it. One morning I got up I could not raise my arm.

Took a couple of weeks before I could get back to normal. They gave me a sling to ware and I don't remember what they gave me for it. But with me taking Cipro now it has not bothered me. Who knows down the line. Right now the only thing I have a problem is Plavix.

Ken

• Posted

My original tendonitis was caused by walking too much when on holiday. If doctors know that you have had tendonitis they are not supposed to prescribe cipro or its relatives. One UK woman has successfully sued her doctor after she developed Fluroquinolone Toxicity syndrome because of it,

• Posted

Derek

I don't know if I ever had cipro before my infections started 4 years ago. When I had my kidney stones removed 15 years ago I never got a infection just a stricture. They went in 3 time Once to but catheter in the tubes to keep them open and then I had to go 2 more weeks then did 1 each side. They were the size of a jaw breaker.

But from now on I will keep a eye on it. I may even tell my doctor about it when I see him

Thanks a lot Ken

• Posted

There is a new approach to prostatitis when cipro and levaquin have failed. It is an old drug but for gram negative infections called Monurol. It penetrates the prostate very well and has a cure rate of 50-77%. I had prostatitis for years and this one did the trick for me. Good luck.

• Posted

Good Evening

I did some looking and the first thing I found was that it was used in women for infection. But when I but it in for the prostate. I came up with a study that was done in 2015

This was a very small study. It had 20 men in it. Out of the 20 men 17 were cured. Which all the sign of the infection improved during therapy.Based on the ability for it to penetrate bacterial aggregate.They suggested 20 years ago for it to be use for chronic prostatitis. But it never became popular because fluoroquinolones were so effective.

They also said that it needs to be look into again. I think when I go to my doctor next month I am going to ask him about this. Thanks David

Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.