Non-stop muscle twitching and "running ants" feeling

Posted , 103 users are following.

Hello everyone,

it will soon be a year since this problem of mine started and nobody has yet found a solution to it, so I thought I have nothing to lose by asking here.

Around April last year I started getting muscle twitches. Out of nowhere. It continued for a month, until I finally went to doctor about it, no fun when your fingers get all jumpy when you sit still, or your muscles twitch so much it wakes you from your sleep. It's pretty unplesant when there's muscles moving under your skin all the time. In the thigh, in the leg, in the finger, in the neck... I think I even had it in the eye once. I so much wish it would just stop.

Doctor said it was a lack of magnesium, but a few months later the problem persisted, and a new sensation developed in my left shoulder blade - the warm buzzy "running ants feeling". I moved to another country, so went to another doctor there. That doctor stated that my neck is very stiff and asked if I suffer from migraine, which I don't think I do. They said I should try exercising a bit more - it should exhaust the muscles so they don't have the energy to twitch. They also prescribed going to a physiotherapist, which is a pretty expensive procedure to me, so I am still hesitating. In the meantime, the muscle twitching has subsided to a few times a day, however, the "running ants feeling" became more frequent. Exercise doesn't seem to alter it that much...

Other minor problems I have that might be related to this are heart rhythm problems in the evening and inability to stay in a bent-down position for more than a few minutes (gives me a terrible headache and dizzyness), I also suffer from obsessive thoughts, really often (I mention this since I have heard that psychological health matters a lot when it comes to muscle twitching) If someone could comment on this I would be really grateful. Doctors say they can't do anything about it, but they didn't really think of checking my nerves - maybe there's a pressed nerve, or something?

4 likes, 203 replies

203 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Futari

I have similar symptoms due to Multiple Sclerosis and have tried numerous medications to control the twitching and sensations and the one only one I tried that worked was oxcarbazepine. It has the usual side effects this group of medications have such as sleepiness, but have found the benefit i get from it outway the side-effects.

Hope you find a treatment that works.

Diane

• Posted

Ask for a EMG I Have Been Living This Nightmare For Some years Now I Have Been Told I Have Polyneuropathy In Both My Legs And Feet And Now Im Begining To Have the Same Feelings In Both Hands .There Is No Bright Future Ahead In Fact It Will Get Worse But Having A Name For This Debilitating Condition Makes It A Little Bit Better And Having The Forum You Can Share . Information Is A Great Help.
    • Posted

Hi. I have been diagnosed with AMAN. Is this what ypu have too? 
    • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed last year with GBS but I think it was AMAN variant.  Contact me so we can compare. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi Futari,

Sorry to hear about your problem. You know what, I have exactly same problem. Probably mine is more breath taking. I have seen so many doctors and went through so many different kind of tests, but still they couldn't figure out what causing all that. So, I did my own research over it. I don't know if it's correct or not, but I think we both suffering from classic anxiety.

Sometimes I do feel like I am dying or gonna die soon, and then I keep calm myself down by thinking to mself that it's just a phase of anixety and I am absolutely fine, and I'd recommend you to do the same, and I hope it'll help you. Well, when you can't do anything about it, there's no harm to that as well.

• Posted

I have exactly the same thing! Either thoughts about dying or very ugly thoughts about harming people I love. Which is nonsense because I couldn't hurt a fly! sad

It might be the reason we have this. In that case I need to look up techniques for relieving anxiety. Maybe that will ease up the symptoms. As for you dear friend, stay strong!

• Posted

This seems like a common problem.  I get like an electric current in my legs.  I have had loads of tests but they can't find anything. I wonder if it is our nervous system in overdrive
  • Posted

I have been experiencing some similar symptoms. An ant like movement in my legs and feet. With small areas of cold sensations as well, I feel that this thing that is happening is related to the Sesorimotor Integration, Sensorimotor Integration is effective as long as the quality of incoming sensory information is good. What this does is that it gathers and interprets information and executing movements, and it is a cooperation of the nervous and muscular system. Basically it is like a sensor for the nerves that allows your to bassically execute movements. And to this statement there are a couple other things that i feel is connected to this like the Muscle Synergies, these are groups of muscles that are recruited by the central nervous system to provide movement , and Proprioception, this is the cumulative sensory input to the central nervous system from all mechanoreceptors that sense psition and limb movements. Really all im getting at is that the nervs are in fact being inturupted or damaged due to anything from lack of skill to overly worked. I use the word skill briefly as I mean the possibility of muscle imbalances causeing these motor behaviors to act out as a strange feeling, this could also lead to core tempurature as accordingly, lack of muscular balance makes lack of needed movements like a good stretch without the ability or skill to do so your cofidence could come to play and prevent you from wanting to work out at all this is all relative and should be noticed as this could lead to a unhealthy life style like obesity. Staying fit is key to a healthy nervous system and keeping your physical heath in shape to prevent any future possible illnesses and or imbalances. A body without proper care is only unfair so take initiative and become the outcome instead of letting your outcome control you. These factors could be creating the thoughts you may be having Futari, the mind is only as healthy as your body. I would advise seeing a the right personal trainer that will attend to your emotional stress and work from there. As long as there are no serious health issues you should be able to work this out, as do I intend to do the same. this problem is obviously not diagnosed and not something curable by medicine so I would imagine your bodies health and core tempurature being improved to the maximum limit your health will reach, this probably will include a fit body so enjoy it if you decide to get the physical treatment

• Posted

I have the same symptoms.  Constant muscle spasms in my legs and ams.  I had a nerve conduction test done and all was normal.  Went to a neurologist yesterday and he had no answers.  I go to physical therapy, but nothing seems to help.  I wake up with spasms in the morning and go to bed at night with them.  Constant!  I have also been diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency.  I've been taking 2000 iu per day, but it doesn't seem to be helping either. The reason for the anxiety IS because of the constant spasms.  I have no answers for you, but just know you are not alone. 

• Posted

Hey Futari,

Im so sorry you are having to deal with this and have not found answers. If you have tried Magnesium, but you are not finding relief you may want to try Potassium. That is what helps me. Low Sodium can also cause muscle twitching and cramps. Also, you may want to get your adrenals, kidneys, and thyroid checked if you haven't already.

Best of lluck to ya!!! 

• Posted

Exactly same thing happened to me three months before , it just started out of blue when i stand from my workstation i felt dizzy that created high intensity anxiety attack. i went to ER they did lot of test including ECG , diabetes, few tests of co ordination and for MS like walking in staright line , following a pen , reffered me to ENT but every thing came normal and they sent me back with anti anxiety medicines. but from that day its been 3 months i have the same problem a bit dizzy, tingling in arms and toe in night mostly, getting nauseous , intense fear 

panic attacks kind of , middle chest pain some time , jaw tightness , teeths clench in night , toungue sensation and depressive thoughts.

i went to several doctors and done with my blood test , liver profile , electrolyte , 3 times ECG , every thing came out normal , they reffered me to physiatrist and she kept me on some medicines Etizolam and maxgalin (not sure why) but i stopped them since they were not so great and causing me drowsiness and low feeling.

and then i was reffered to pshyologist (lol) .. and i have to go through hypnothereapy.

Well ignore my English , i am 27 year old and healthy male 

few points those were with this trigger moment which instigated all this are

i was into stress , professional as well as personal (personal was at the time i got anxious and got panicked)

i just quit smoking after 5 years being a light smoker , i feel light headed all the time its been 3 months

that is my story , 

latest test for me includes CBC which shows slight anemic MCV 62 and hmgbln 12.8 , sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium levels came back normal 

i still get rendom twitches and a sensation like a mobile phone vibration in my left leg .. some time small pains and tingling but all is not as painful as more annoying 

i have become a paranoid with all these in last 41/2 months ..

i used to be very fit and used to work out well before 

worst is dizziness .. and i do get feel i get panic attack too but apart from those

these are continues sensations i get .. 

can any one please help ??

• Posted

Try not to panic. I had to get past the initial shock that what we have isn't going to go away. The twitching is inconvenient.  Eat a good diet, Glutenfree and limit processed foods, surround yourself with positive fun people and exercise as much as you can. After I exercise too much my l legs get wobbly so I don't really run very often anymore,  but I'm OK on an elliptical. Focus on exercising your core.  Good luck, hang in there!
    • Posted

Try the gluten free diet for the dizziness. I was dizzy, full headed feeling and foggy minded before the gluten free diet. It's worked miracles for me personally. You'll probably have to get rid of a lot of food in your kitchen. Just give it to friends and family and start fresh, you'll see the difference. There are plenty of very good gluten free cook books out there. Wheat Belly is probably the best, but it's a learning curve to cook that way.  And tweak the recipes to make them taste better. I've found all sorts of short cuts to a fast gluten free meal. There are more products on the market now in the grocery store and you can try making quick big salads with your favorite ingredients. I've found I can keep a very good weight and still eat a lot by eating gluten free (organic when affordable, too) and limiting my sugar intake. Sometimes you'll have to eat vegetarian when your out at restaurants. It's worth it though.  Sometimes I wonder if all these neurological symptoms are related to bring raised on highly processed foods full of sugar with no fiber during our many years of childhood and on into adulthood. Not to mention eating meat of animals that has been pumped up with antibiotics and God knows what else. 
    • Posted

Have you been tested for Lyme disease? That, or other BB bacteria (Spirochetes) in your body can all cause this. You need a reliable test done at a reliable lab as most offices don't issue tests sensitive enough based on the current standards. It's worth looking into as strong antibiotics may be able to help if you do indeed test positive for Spirochetes and BB bacteria.
  • Posted

Hi Futari

I've had the twitching thing that you and the others on this forum have been discussing for about three years. It started in a very subtle manner. I think it all started when I ran a half marathon. It was my first half marathon.  My left ankle swelled up even though I don't remember injuring it and the ankle never hurt during the run. It just started to swell up. I went to physical therapy which did Help a tiny bit, but eventually have up on it as it was a waste of time and resources. I noticed I began to guard my left leg and it would feel numb at times when I was seated,  with ant like sensations and sometimes it was just painful. The symptoms went to my right leg and I began to twitch all over ever so slightly. I began to feel scared about it. 

I decided to go on a Gluten free diet which helped my other symptoms which includes aching joints,  a feeling of a full head like someone had me turned completely upside down and all the blood is rushing to my head and bad fatigue. These symptoms came on with the ants feeling and the twitching. I have discovered that the gluten free diet helps everything but the twitching. It continues  to spread to al my different muscles and the twitches seem to be bigger and with greater frequency. I currently have a twitch that had been  going for two days now on the right inside of my  knee and it is annoying. From what I've read of your all's comments and what I've experienced at the doctors office what we have is not currently described in the medical field yet, I don't believe.  I could have a nerve ending test done, but I suppose it will render any insight as to why I'm twitching.  My neurologist had said I'm just too sensitive and perhaps it's in my head. That is total bologna.  I will go get a CT scan of my head though to see if maybe I have  multiple sclerosis. Other symptoms are occasional weakness in my legs,  dizziness and loss of balance upon getting up from a seated position.  I, too, have a feeling that my heart or the muscles bear my heart are twitching or fluttering.  I usually get this sensation at night. A friend suggested to put some lavender under my nose and on my feet before bed and to stop watching late night news as it's always very negative with everything going on in the world.  Another scary symptom is waking up in the middle of the night with part of my body like my arm,  for instance,  totally dead 'asleep'. It wakes me up completely. I also get cramps in my feet easily now, also usually at night.

I love to work out and run, but limit my running now. I work  out on a regular basis,  eat well, ie healthily, have a supportive family, good mental state etc. I just know that something is going wrong with me neurologically. I don't think modern neurologists know what to do with us currently. I'm going to try taking magnesium,  vitamin D and maybe gabepentin, etc to see if anything helps. I live in sunny West Texas so I don't think I'm lashing in receiving plenty of natural vitamin D. I hope others will continue to comment. I worry that my symptoms will worsen. Just not sure there's a cure for what I have. 

• Posted

Have you been tested for Lyme disease or other diseases that have the BB spirochete? In all my research, this can often be a possibility if other tests come back negative. (and you need the Western blot test as it is more accurate at testing for this bacteria in you.)
    • Posted

Christina60471 I have everything that you described above. I have suffered from anxiety, mini stroke and just had breast cancer. Lots if stress in my life, about 10 yrs ago I noticed lots of twitching in my right leg and it has now progressed into my ankles mostly at night when I try to relax in the evenings. I have tried gabapentin, lyrica, myrapex, carbadopa lebadopa aNdd magnesium...still have excessive twitching. My tongue is sensitive, I'm light headed and dizzy on occassion. I've had my iron levels checked and sm currently taking 2000 ui vitamin d. I like alot of the others on here have had gastro intestinal problems my whole life as well. I have migraines with the auras that float in your eyes before the migraine starts. I have floaters in my eyes on a daily basis at different times of the day. I also have been depressed and ocd. It doesnt matter if I excersize or not, my twitching and moving my legs is still a nightly event and drives my husband crazy. Anything that touches my ankles trigger the ache and sensation to move them. I have also had 2 discs in my neck fused and they were wondering if the spinal chord was injured causing this nerve pain. Also, I have always been a leg shaker my whole life and my 4 siblings as well. Sure would like to know what it is and how to disengage it.
    • Posted

HI Virginia. I'm not sure if your spinal cord injury would be the cause of the nerve pain, but I guess it's possible. I know my father in law had his left ankle fused about 20 years ago and now he has a lot of hip and back pain and he's 77.  However, with myself, I've been diagnosed with gluten sensitve neuropathy.  I really must stay away from wheat or I get twitching, tingling and some fatigue. The twitching never really goes away on my strict gluten free diet, but it's about 10% of what it used to be. I was really scared what was happening to me before I went gluten-free. Eating gluten-free, plus laying off most grains and dairy helps so much as well. I find my energy is quite good, better than its been in years really. I just eat whole foods and I don't eat any refined sugar. I cannot stress enough how important it is to stay away from sugar as it will help you with your appetite and help your taste buds adapt to whole foods. So no processed foods. I've basically faced the reality that this nervous thing/neuropathy I have will probably not go away and might even intesifiy as I age, It's a scary realization. However, I can maintain some sort of control of my health by eating well and for me, it is a gluten-free, paleo leaning diet.  It allows me not to shake and twitch as much.
    • Posted

I have gone ns ng, no sugars no grains and have lost 40lbs. But, I am having major trigger point issues and just started having twitching issue. I think my magnesium is low because of low carb diet. I am am also increasing my sodium, because of the lack of processed foods. I also had a low vitamin D level and took a some pills for that. Luckily I had some Gabapentin to take to finally let me sleep last night. I going to start taking Prozac again to help with trigger points and the nerve issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.