Normal ECG and 2d echo, but still having chest pains and shortness of breath, Anxiety?

Posted , 22 users are following.

This started on january 7 when I was rushed in the ER cause I woke up catching breath, palpitations, and my hands suddenly became numb. It really scared me a lot I thought I was having a heart attack. After that day I am having this attacks frequently. I also experienced cold and sweaty palms whenever this happens. Ive done numerous ecg, 2 2d echo's, cbc, thyroid, chest xray, which came back normal. This has been happening frequently to the point that I dont feel normal anymore. Doc said it was just anxiety and that I should go to see a therapist.But i believe this isnt just in my head , i can really feel it even for no reason. My question is should i get more tests? Like stress test and holter monitoring? Cause whenever I go to the er they will just do me an ecg and by that time I am calmed down so Im not having palpitations. I also noticed that if im walking my bp is quite high. im only 21 yrs old btw. I hope someone can help me, my mom doesnt listen to me and just kept tellong me its all in my head. I donty feel like myself anymore cause my symptoms are stressing me a lot. I forgot to mention I went to the cardio and he used a stetoscope to check my heart and he said i have MVP (mitral valve prolapse) it scared me a lot so I repeated my 2d echo (echocardiogram) and it was normal. How was that possible sad

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have you tried to burp when you have chest pain? Does it relieve the pain? For me it does to a great extent.. it keeps coming back, but I'm convinced it may not be entirely a heart issue. Also, what I did last night was walk 10000 steps and also did a heart rate recovery test. All you need to do is jog a bit to get your heart rate up, record your heart rate and give yourself one minute and then record your heart rate again. If the difference between the two is greater than 12, you're not in deep risk. If the difference is greater than 30, then its awesome. For me, my heart rate while intense walking and jogging came up to 115 and then dropped down to 64 in a minute so that was good news. Obviously I have to try to experiment the same while sprinting to get a full accurate result. 

I'm planning to walk 10k steps every single day to see if my situation improves. I'm already experiencing some good relief. Also, I'm changing my diet to a more heart healthy diet. 

• Edited

Hi I'm 20years old and I have been experiencing same symptoms not even one is different from yours . I'm experiencing this from past one month this started on April 1st . At first I thought it was related to heart .when I lay down on bed it becomes hard to breathe first 2 -3 times I'll inhale air with my nose after that with my mouth then I feel like I am getting sufficient air this goes on for weeks later I consulted with my GP he referred to cardiologist then i gone through these tests yesterday like ECG ,2D echo ,Blood tests surprisingly all test results came normal .

Today I went to gastroenterologist because when I eat food I feel like I'm not getting sufficient air. But I have also a feeling that I am having GRED so I went to gastroenterologist today he did endoscopy nd the result came positive I'm having GRED .he prescribed some medications for 15 days. All doctors whom ever I have consulted till now said u r having stress by feeling over stressed u r symptoms may even worsen .so I am working on it to control my stress.

• Posted

Hi Manvith, 

Have you done a stress ECG test (TMT) test? Or a stress echo test? What I read in different forums are that 75% of chest pains which are cardiac related are initially assumed by doctors to be non-cardiac. For ex, it maybe easy to pass the ECG & echo test without stress but your heart may respond differently under stress ECG and Echo tests. So that's why I'm also having a big confusion if I might be having stable angina.. also I have not taken any stress test. 

• Posted

Well, actually ended up having a heart attack today, troponin levels found in my blood work. Not sure how serious it is yet but im staying over night with more tests to come.
    • Posted

Oh my God Creyn!! I'm losing all confidence in doctors. How can they let this happen after people like you and I are telling them that we feel like were havinga heart attack? They tell us it's anxiety and make us question our sanity. Please keep me updated. I go for my next test on tuesday afternoon. I hope you get well soon 🌹🌻🌼?

• Posted

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear that. What were the symptoms leading to the heart-attack? Also did you do stress tests before - such as TMT Stress test, Echo stress test? 

I think what most doctors to fail to understand is that the heart can respond totally differently to exertion. So ECG and Echo at resting rate is almost useless. Blood test is helpful to some extent. 

• Posted

Creyn, how are you? I hope that you are recovering and getting well. - Jill
    • Posted

Also Creyn, would you mind explaining what happened to cause your heart attack? I would appreciate it so much if you could. I am so tired of going to weekly appointments just to be told again and again that there is nothing wrong. I keep ending up in the E.r. with heart rate of 160 and blood pressure 144 over 114. I am a 29 year old female 5'5 and 135 lbs. I am healthy. But my brother had a heart attack at 19 and they aren't looking into it. Maybe you can tell me something that I can ask my docs about. Idk I just really want some answers and cannot find any.

• Posted

Hi Jill, I literally joined to comment and hope you can reply! I have the same symptoms and my life is a mess. I'm in the uk, so long waiting times, crappy doctors, everyone telling me I'm just worrying. 

Did this ever go for you and did you find out the cause? 

• Posted

Hey guys. I ve been dealing with the same issues. Two cbcs normal, chest ray normal, echo normal, ekgs normal. I still have chest pains. I'm 23 years old. I have an extremely good cardiologist, who says that I'm fine and it's anxiety. But I can't get over it. How did things work out for you? Also Creyn, are you alright now?

• Posted

Do you get chest pain on exertion/workout? I can't get over my problems either. I have a tmt test on Saturday. Hope that goes fine. If it doesn't surely there's something wrong.

• Posted

What's a tmt? For me exertion doesn't make it worse. I tried to push myself to run and also walk very long staircases fast. It didn't seem to affect it. The pain comes and goes on random occasions, and its duration is also random. No history of heart disease in family, and till 5 years ago, my diet was good. Only the past three years it has been bad. I think three years are way too little time for plaques to build up.

• Posted

Then i don't think you should worry much about heart disease at all. I can barely walk 500m without experiencing disconfort so I'm sure I have angina. Will figure out on Saturday.

• Posted

I hope everything works out for you. I don't know about me. I feel like the only way to stop worrying so hard, is to get an angiogram. It's pretty much the only way to rule out coronary disease. But it's very expensive. It's like 800 euros here.

• Posted

Ok I started out with vertigo a week before mother's day, thought nothing of it. On mother's day I work up with shortness of breath and chest pains along with dizziness, went to the ER and they did EKG which showed palputations an x-ray showed nothing sent me home with meds for the vertigo and the palputations and follow twith my primary care provider. Did that he changed meds for vertigo to valumn and a CT scan, nothing there on Tues seen my primary told him I'm still having tand vertigo and chest pains, I was admitted to the hospital. They did 2d echo it was fine, did a stress test faid, did a angiogram past, did an tee and past sent me home even though I still have the palputations and chest pains and vertigo. Sand it could be angina or angsiaty. Went home with more meds, went to Walmart and all most past out whit as a ghost, head spinning tingling from head to toe and my heart racing in that order, went back to er different hospital and the said I have esophagus spasms. I still have the same symptoms. Y can't they find what is wrong with me.

• Posted

I honestly don't know what is wrong with doctors these days. You would think that modern medicine would be more advanced than it is. At least they lead us to believe that it is. I have been seeing a cardiologist that at every turn tell me that he doesn't need to see me anymore. Then I have to go an get another referral from my primary. This time I was at the E.r. again on Friday night and I am not going to follow up with him again. I am going to demand to be referred to another cardiologist. This guy was supposed to be the best so I'm a little worried.

• Posted

I had the same situation about 2 weeks ago. I visited the psychiatrist and he prescribed me a few meds.. in about 2-3 days I was totally fine.
    • Posted

Personally, I have Ocd, and I tend to get phychosomatic effects when I'm afraid of an illness. The moment I decided to accept to the cardiologists diagnosis, the pain disappeared by 97%.

• Posted

Hi angela, please let me know, really desperate, have the same symptoms as you, did this ever get better for you and did you find out anything? a cause? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.