Normal echocardiogram but still got symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

for the last 12 months I've had bad irregular heartbeats and developed bilateral pitting oedema in my legs and mildly swollen ankles, so I've had a echocardiogram done and my results show normal left ventricular function and normal right ventricular function and also normal ejection fraction?? the oedema is still present in my legs my doctor thinks it could be due to me been overweight?? I'm still getting bad palpitations but I cant argue with echocardiogram results can I?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are different reasons you can get oedema in your feet and legs. Are you on your feet a lot? Are you on any medication? You may have bad circulation or weight could be an issue.

You can get palpitations from other things caffeine, alcohol or smoking. Have you been given a d-dimer blood test? There is a small possibilty it could be related to a DVT did they examine your legs?

• Posted

I don't think its DVT because I think its probably poor circulation because for a bout 8 months last year I was experiencing cold feet even in the summer and my foot pulse is quite weak with me been quite young I think only best thing is too lose weight, but as for oedema it's quite common with heart problems that's why I wanted the echo done which came back normal.

• Posted

my doctor as also offered me propanol beta blocker which I'm quite sceptical because I'm not a fan of taking heart medication but I'm considering them because my irregular beats are very uncomfortable.

• Posted

Hi,

i to have oedema in my ankles and im over weight,

i also suffered palpitations about 2 years ago now

i also thought it was heart related

i was told it was anxiety which i didn't believe at first but now 2 yrs on i believe it was anxiety

that was causing the palpitations as the

more i thought it was my heart the more i got them

now days there few and far between now im at a more positive mind!

• Posted

I take propranolol when I get fast palpitations, you don't have to take them every day just when you get the symptoms. The only side effect I have had, is I can get a bit dizzy and feeling faint because it lowers your blood pressure. As long as you are aware of it as a side effect, when you take them make sure you don't over exert yourself and get up slowly if you have been sitting or lying for a while. Propranolol does protect your heart so it can prevent certain problems.

• Posted

yes exactly my thought I have anxiety but I also know anxiety cant cause oedema so that why I thought heart related, but I'm kinda accepting my heart is ok as the echo test doesn't lie so it must be my weight causing circulation problems in my lower limbs and my palpitations are frequently at the moment but I've had them years since was a kid, but my heart is structurally normal so it must be in my head.

• Posted

my doctor has said if I have them start of and 40mg a day for 2 weeks and then 80mg a day until further notice? I will probably end up trying them cause like you said protect the heart but with having anxiety il be looking out for side effects my brain plays games with me.

• Posted

ask to start on a lower dose to get used to them. Get the 10mg to start and see how you go.

• Posted

can you get 10mg cause I always thought 40mg was the lowest?

• Posted

HI,

hope you don't mind me asking!

but when you say you have suffered palpitations since a kid how old were you when you started suffering them?

only my daughter is going through the same now with palpitations and has had a echo test to show her heart is structurally normal and a holter moniter for a month which we placed on her chest every time she complained of palpitations that was also normal.

she can go months without having them then out the blue they return

were worried sick not knowing whats going on with her heart.

so all information is very much welcome!

x

• Posted

hi well at time I didnt really know what they were i was complaining of flutters in my heart but as i got older I got told they are called palpitations which are very rarely anything serious and is due to anxiety or sensitivity to caffeine and other things I was about 12 when but at the time they didn't bother me at all only now I'm nearly 30 they seem to bother me alot and yea when I was younger I didnt get them frequently as I do now probably because I'm not fit and drink alcohol. how old is your daughter?

• Posted

Thankyou for replying,

my daughter is 5 and she says my heart's beating fast and you can feel it thumping in her chest when you place your hand there usually lasts a couple of minutes.

maybe when you were younger it didn't bother you much and as you have got older it does because you are more aware of the heart being so important to us and thats the circle of panic /anxiety making the palpitations happen

more often .

that was the case with me i think its mind over matter the more we worry about it the worse the palpitations get

anxiety is a horrible feeling plays with your mind and your mind controls your body,

i am unfit need to exercise and eat healthy!

but i did give up alcohol 2yrs ago when my palpitations started

so maybe that's why over time they near enough disappeared.

i only wonder if a 5yr olds could be down to anxiety?

x

• Posted

unfortunately I do smoke I do all the bad things in life maybe why i feel the way i do sometimes lol obviously I'm no doctor but in young people there is arrhythmia called svt (supraventricular tachycardia) which I have believe is not a serious arrhythmia and that does cause a very fast heart beat with palpitations anybody can develop it but I hear it more with kids and young adults. I know a guy who had it he had a ablation on his heart and it stopped it but by no means dont take my word for it and there is another thing which I'm sensitive to is adrenaline and excitement I get palpitations then too lol

• Posted

I get a lot of triggers even after a meal I get palpitations and sometimes if i dont have a enough sleep and also after work if I've had a quite strenuous day heavy lifting and exerting my self. my heart is strange 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.