Normal thyroid results for almost 9 years

Posted , 12 users are following.

For those of you who are new to a hyperthyroid diagnosis of Graves disease,  I want to give you all some hope.   Here are my latest thyroid test results which are all normal and have been for almost 9 years now.

Range for Normal

TSH                               0.87        (0.35 TO 4.94)

FT3                                3.8          (2.6 TO 5.7)

FT4                                13           (9 – 19)

Alkaline phosphatase     63           (40 – 150)

ALT                                 11           (7 to 40)

They are all in the normal range while I am on a very low dose of Methimazole and supplements.  Thank God I found the research on carnitines & other supplements & thyroid.  I have kept my lab tests within the normal range since 2009 (almost 9 years now).  It does require good follow up and lab tests and adjustments occasionally in drug or supplement dose but I feel normal and I am glad I chose this method of treatment.  It also helps that I have a wonderful doc.  It wasn't always that way but we learned from each other and I feel we have a good doctor-patient partnership now.  I see him twice a  year now unless I run into difficulties, in which case I can call for a sooner appointment.

4 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Linda for sharing this hope...

I also for one month now my test has been in a normal range.

I am now on 10mg Carbimazole to try to keep it on the normal range-

T4 -7.8................... 7.2 - 16.4 pmol/L

T3 -4.6.... 3.8 - 6.0

TSH - 2.945....... 0.380-5.330

• Posted

That's great that you have normalized your thyroid values Charles.  What was your hyperthyroidism diagnosis - Graves, Hashimoto's or nodules?  How are you feeling now in your disease?  For myself, when my TSH levels hit where yours are, I like them a little lower - between 1.5 and 2.5 so I usually adjust my meds or supplements dosage.  I started on 10 mg at the beginning of my treatment.

• Posted

My result in April was

t4- 45, t3- 23, tsh- 0.0005.

I feel good. Doctor said I should reduce to 5mg but I saw it was rising very week or so and I increase my med to 10mg.

I take some Vitamins too

• Posted

Why would you raise your meds dose when your TSH is 2.945?   I think you may have Hashimoto's and if so, you are going to go hypo very fast if you keep doing this.

• Posted

Is because under 4 weeks my T4 has gone from 6.8 to 7.8, T3 from 4.6 to 4.9and TSH from 6.1 to 2.9.

I thought my thyroid is rising fast let me increase from 5mg Carbimozole to 10mg to slow at least the production.

What do you think please? And what do you advice?

• Posted

You have to know your diagnosis Charles.  Your results aren't usual for Graves patients.  They are more like what I see in Hashimoto patients.  If so, medication will be too strong to control your values.  For myself, I was more concerned about getting TSH into the range where I wanted it and wasn't concerned when my Free T3 and T4 went to the  bottom of the range.  As long as they were in range, I was okay with that.  When I got my TSH where I wanted it, my meds dose was lowered and I stopped the Acetyl L Carnitine I was taking and my Free T3 and T4 rose to mid range.  I always let my Endo adjust my meds dose & I adjust my supplements dose.  If you have Hashimoto's, you will do better on Regular L-Carnitine rather than meds because meds will be too strong and you will bounce from hyper to hypo and back.  Find out the reason for your hyperthyroidism.

• Posted

Hi Linda

Thank you for giving me information on the Graves, or Hashi question in an earlier thread when I had my TSH make such a huge jump in one month.  I’m still confused what my diagnosis is. 

The diagnosis is confusing to me if you have both kinds of antibodies, which I do.  I’ve read that you can have both and it s doesn’t mean anything, and also no, it means you have Hashi and your thyroid is just sometimes releasing more of one antibody  than the other??  My endo is only concerned with the TSH number. I’ve reduced the Methimazole from 5 mg to 2.5 and stopped the l-carnitine on my own when my TSH  jumped from 0.02 to 3.6 in one month when I took L- Carnitine.  I have tests in a few days and will see what they say. 

Is there any way to get a definite diagnosis?  

• Posted

In Graves disease, the antibodies are attacking the TSH receptors in the pituitary.  In Hashimoto's, the antibodies are attacking the thyroid gland itself.  Hashi patients are extremely sensitive to Methimazole and they bounce from hyper to hypo and have difficulty keeping their thyroid values stable.  From the postings on this Board from Hashimoto patients, it seemed to me that they do much better using natural protocols like Regular carnitine alone or the combination of Bugleweed, Motherwort and Melissa rather than prescription meds.  In fact, one lady posted she kept her disease.  stable on 3,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine and vitamin D.  She took her temperature daily and adjusted her dosage based on that.   As far as getting a definite diagnosis, you need your antibodies checked for TRAb or TSI and TGAb as well as anti-TPO.  The anti-TPO is a measurement of inflammation and is usually high with Hashimoto patients.  From your lab results I would say that you have Hashi or Hashi and Graves because a Graves alone diagnosis would not have caused that kind of jump in TSH even with methimazole and Regular L-carnitine.  I have seen postings on this Board of Graves patients who were on 30 and 40 mg of Methimazole and their TSH would not budge.

• Posted

These are the antibody results I have:

TPO 16.5 before l-carnitine

TPO 26 (0.0-9.0) after l-carnitine 

TSI 267 (<=122(%) before l-carnitine)

Thyroglobulin (cpt86800 and 84432) 4.2.  0.0-4.0 (IU/ml)

Before L-carnitine

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.  no details yet, but the uptake and scan was completed last week.  My blood tests results  prior to starting 15mg of methimazole were:  T4free = 2.13, T3 free = 7.9, TSH = .006.  I felt pretty good, but  was experiencing night sweets, feeling hot all day, elevated heart rate, some anxiety.  I think i panicked when i woke up one morning dizzy with double vision.  Thank heavens it passed in a minute or two and only happened two days in row.  Maybe you can help me make sense of these numbers?  I eat clean, have been doing Isagenix  program for 18 months (primarily clean eating with a protein shake in the morning and some liquid supplements), I go to flow and bikram yoga several times per week and consider myself well balanced physically and emotionally, but this HAS rocked my boat a little bit.

• Posted

Well your Free T3 is a little high and Free T4 low but you need to post your lab's ranges for normal beside your tests as these can vary from lab to lab.  The TSH however, being very low indicates HYPERthyroidism (I know you would think it would be the opposite, i.e. low number equals HYPO or low thyroidism but in fact it is just the opposite).  How are you feeling since starting Methimazole?

• Posted

I started it for one week, then had to stop for a week prior to the uptake and scan test. I have been back on it for 9 days. I seem less hot and heart isn't beating out of chest when I lay in bed. I never felt that bad to start with.

• Posted

You are an inspiration to me and probably to many others on this forum.  I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and Graves in 2014 but I think I had it for sometime before that.  I too am trying to manage it with supplements and a low dose of tapozole.  It's a lonely battle when you have a GP that doesn't want to deal with thyroid issues and sends you to an endocrinologist who says I need to have a thyroidectomy.  I have a few small nodules.......apparently not suspicious and my Ft4 and Ft3 levels have been in the low normal for over a year.  The TSH is still suppressed and that is the only lab number that my endo is concerned about. He keeps threatening me about how I'm damaging my heart and bones..........scare tactics......seriously!  I think trying to deal with close minded doctors is almost as exhausting as the disease itself.  It's no wonder people give up. I've decided to seek alternative medicine as another option.

Thank you for all your advice and time on here.  Keep up the good work.  We all need success stories such as yours to not give up hope.

Roxanne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.