Not able to work due to perimenopause. Anxiety, depression, fatigue.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I started perimenopause June 2013. Miss periods for two to three months, then get cycles again for one or two months. Then no period again for two to three months. This has been pattern. I feel great, normal when periods start. Then I crash hard when cycles stop. Chronic depression, anxiety, panic, fatigue, insomnia, doom and gloom. I quit my job in November, 2013. I came close to returning several times. But my anxiety, depression and all rises and Ihave yet to return tto work. 

I was diagnosed with PTSD, panic attacks, depression 20 years ago. Wentworth thru therapy for 4 years. Been on 10mg Paxil since. Was able to work, function very well. 

Then perimenopause slammed me June,  2013. Almost cost me my marriage of 29 years. Lost my job, my sanity, social life, confidence, suicidal thoughts, etc. I always was very active, social, energetic, FUNNY, I miss me so much. 

I was couch bound November thru February. Finally went into therapy in March. They upped my paxil, added busparone. Temporarily made me feel good, but I eventually felt worse after months of this. I'm back down to 10mg Paxil, No busparone, I take supplements now . 

I still cannot go backto work . I cannot expected to hold down a job when I know these fluctuations continue. I am looking into SS disabilities, but Ikknow it takes years and low chance of approval. 

Anyone else not able to work due to perimenopause or menopause?  Please share. Thank you!  Karen

1 like, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

can i ask some of the more experienced ladies on here who actually been thru full menopause. Is it better or do the symptoms improve at that point? I'm wondering what it's like when you get to that stage. It sounds like on here the perimenopause is worse. Is that a fair assumption? Do we stop producing oestrogen altogether does anyone know? Thanks in advance. bad night last night x
    • Posted

Hi Rcharris

i am in menopause now.. all been confirmed by the gyno.. had a full MOT.

havent had a period for a year.. been told ovaries non functioning, no follicles and 4mm uterine wall ( thin) menopause reached ..

umm early peri was i suppose erractic, but as i had a very steady long peri of 9-10 years my hormones dropped steadily ..

last year i had just two periods (2013) and year before 3 periods (2012) 

so on and so on.. 

i found myself that emotions ran higher after 6 months no period mark, and also anxiety in my case.. that was until April this year, then B6 sorted that out.

ummm now from the 6 month mark to now, things are better for me, all natural, i had a blip last week. but it passed, i would say vag dryness is the most niggly thing but not severe, and my day flushes returned after many years of none, but i am taking vit E for that as from today..

amongst many other things.. natural .. i do have some ovestin estriol for the vag dryness but still reluctant to use it as directed although it is the gentle of the three oestrogens..

gyno said for me its low oestrogen now, which causes vag dryness  

hope that helps, thats only my own personal experience 

and only just menopause reached 

jay xx

• Posted

thanks for that jayneejay x How's your sleep? That's my biggest issue. Is it any better now you're in full menopause? She asks hopefully! (:
    • Posted

I went to menopause at 48 stayed like that till 54 then 4 years relatively quiet thought all done,then I became ill,and all symptoms started all over again,exactly how I was when I was 48,so I'm back to square one,8 years further on and I'm still like it .So my advice stay as healthy as you can  ,avoid people with bugs where you can,kids with chickenpox ,measles you name it avoid it,know it's not always easy to do ,but supermarket trolleys ,baskets germ carriers the lot.This is not to scare but to tell you to be careful,as your immune system takes a downer in menopause years less protected as hormones deplete,if I only knew all this back at 48 / 54 yrs what I know now about the hazards of menopause,that come up and bite you.i wouldn't maybe tapping this out.Certainly been a learning curve for me at my age now.So take Vitamins if you can,protect yourself and read up all you can.knowledge is power to women in menopause from the very start.Thats all I can put to this,as I've found it to be for me,some women for a short time and it's stopped ,hope it's like this for you.
    • Posted

Hi Rcharris

sleep has alwayss been a problem, i just accept it now, but lately .. i been drinking a magnesium effervescent  before bed and noticed the relaxing effect, hence starting a discussion on it..

since, other ladies have said the same thing, and apparently there is a magnesium oil spray, transdermal type .. and its very relaxing and benefical especially before bed.. holland and barret sel, it too ..

i have one on its way to try from ebay as i live in spain..

i noticed that when i got to bed i felt so relaxed and actually fell to sleep better lately .. that never happens normally for me.. 

so worth looking in to ..

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Marlene

hows your sleep ? 

are you okay with nodding off etc 

jayxx

• Posted

hi rcharris

forgot to mention also have digestive disturbances as well ..

all through peri and now in meopause  ( IBS) 

the pro biotic seems to be helping abit ..

also a discussion on that too on here ..

jay xx

• Posted

yes it's been interesting to see that. I get it when my natural progesterone levels go up or if i've used too much supplements. Probiotics don't agree with me at all.
    • Posted

My sleep never a problem Jay,my tinnitus can be a sod some nights but I've done meditation for 8 years now ,so when my tinnitus loud ,I meditate in bed,works everytime.Cant recommend it highly enough,I'd done meditation,5 months then I had to have an MRI,had meno anxiety ,but that meditation kept me calm enough to get 25 minutes in that machine.So I tell any female learn how to do it ,helps greatly in the menopause,helps with those palpatations gets heart rate down,destresses you,

Your one of life's good uns Jay xxx

• Posted

Hi Marlene

thats brill, so glad it works for you...

i have a yoga for beginners in its cellphane hahahaha

too hot for all that yet..

i have a rowing machine that i use .. 

i am pretty calm so i am okay like that... people always said when i was nursing them that i made them feel relaxed and calm which was  nice ..

oh thank you for the kind words 😃

nite nite xx

• Posted

Hi! I haven't had a period in 5/6 years I'm 52.  I don't know where I am or what's happening as my doctor doesn't know anything none of them do 😔so I depend on this site for all my information all you ladies are a godsend to me and get me through some horrible days.  They are not all bad. But sometimes feel like 90years old.  Today however, I am going on my treadmill for a walk and will continue yo do my weights ( not too heavy ).  No doubt tomorrow I won't be able to move!! Lol!!! Hey ho and do it continues..... Hope you all have a better day you are all treasures 💓😘
    • Posted

Trevis

forget your GP .. isnt there a Gyno around who can do a well woman check and some ultra sounds etc .. and check everything.... so you know whats what etc.. 

i had an amazing check two weeks ago.. here in spain.. wow the job lot..

even saw the job lot on screen.. so thorough i walked out speachless..

jay xx

• Posted

It doesn't work like that here unfortunately .... You cannot see a gyno unless the doc puts you forward to the hospital and that will only happen if you have a problem that the doc sees fit.  Well woman is done by the nurses and results by doc appointment.  Privately of course you can have anything if you can afford to pay.  They don't push tests here and treat it as a natural process.
    • Posted

Hi Trevis

thats terrible... 

i only paid 150€  - got the whole works and a great Gyno who fully understood everything.. and spoke about all the menopause to me..

i got a smear, a colposcopy everything checked by magnification, a vaginal ultra sound and saw my ovaries and uterine on screen was confirmed i was in menopause and non functiioning ovaries and a 4mm normal uterine thickness, then.. a 3D breast scan.. it was amazing.. 

should be more available shouldnt it .... 

jay jay xx

• Posted

That would be amazing!!... It should be offered to us if only once during menopause.  We pay enough national insurance contributions throughout our working life and now that this is preventing me from working we are just left to figure it out ourselves, it's completely bang out of order.  It has such a huge affect on our well being, family & work it's just not right.  
    • Posted

Hi Trevis 

i am from UK worked in hospitals .. etc etc  nursing, management etc

the NHS is a state..

i always said people should keep there contributions and use it for private healh... cant rely on NHS anymore ...

all target driven, and not best practice.. Some GP's dont know their arses from their elbows..

thats my opinion and i am sticking to it..

jay xx

• Posted

Absolutely agree.... Sadly!...💓😉 thank you so much for listening means a lot xx
    • Posted

Hi Jay,

how are you sweetheart ?  I was wondering could you tell the types and makes of Magnesium you take ? I bought one by Floradix it's a liquid, at first it really calmed me but I feel so bad again with anxiety I don't understand IT  ??😢. It's really upset me that it's come back again ! I really thought I'd found the answer but now I feel really upset.

lovd Deebbie x

• Posted

Hi Deb

You will have to now look at past posts, its mentioned alot, or look at discussion chelated magnesium, i have been told not to say info multiple times anymore, or mention certain brands,

So unable to help ladies now, i cant send private messages to everyone as there is not enough hours in the day. 

Take care 

Jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.