Not been here for a while!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello again.

I had a stroke before Christmas.It was a real shock.Fortunately it happened while I was in hospital so I had scan very quickly.

I had been admitted due to severe pain in my leg although it was not dvt.

I was then found to have aterial fibrilation!

I had tapered mirtazapine a few months before this happened and was feeling ok.

Any way following my discharge I had dreadful insomnia and anxiety and knowing the struggle I had to wd in January my GP put me back on 15mg mirtazapine.

To be fair I was so shattered due to lack of sleep and the anxiety was dreadful so I agreed to give it another go.

Also I had lost so much weight and it was hoped that my appetite may improve.

I am still losing weight as my stomach is upset most of the time and I have gone from constipation to 'never off the toilet' sorry, too much informtion!

I feel so weak and just want to sleep.

Tingling in arms and legs and all the horrible things we all suffer due to mirtazapine.At first I was putting it down to the anti coagulant drug I have to take but as I have started reading the threads again I know it is the mirt and I need to wd.

When I did WD previously I went from 15mg to 7.5 then stayed there for a few weeks then just stopped.I felt dreadful for a few weeks then gradually as mirt left my body I improved.

So back again, my GP is not helpful so I need to do are slow er WD this time.

Good to read the threads again and best wishes to you all who are struggling at this time.

Sunbird

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sunbird !!!

Oh no, you've really been in the wars Sunbird, I had wondered about you, good to hear you're ok now though.  You've been through hell by the sound of it, not good to lose so much weight, strong link to insomnia there I think, somehow.

Not sure if you've found the following links from Evergreen, she is still active so I'm sure she will pop up but here are her very helpful threads.  Are you planning to wd now or in the near future?  15, 12.5 to start with maybe?  Your tapering was way too fast for most before, I'm still slowly tapering, 5% every 2 weeks or so, when my body tells me it's ok !!!    Yes, I think you're right to go slow this time, be kind to your system and gentle on yourself maybe.  Lots of love and a big hug xx

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-withdrawal-tips-and-experiences-thread-498889

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-to-make-a-home-made-liquid-to-taper-off-mirtazapine-502540

• Posted

I forgot to mention that a few days after discharge I had to be admitted again due to 

pneumonia..hospital aquired infection!Then my poor husband got it too!

Glad to say we are both clear of it now but it was very stressful.

Now it is difficult to know which symptoms are due to stroke or another drug or mirt, I suspect mirt!

Hi again Calmer good to see you and thank you so much for the links to Evergreens threads which are really helpful.

Thank you too Kathy and Patty,may you all have a good day and I hope you will improve soon.

Best wishes to all.

Sunbird

• Posted

Diarrhoea and rash.

I have not been at all well and I was wondering if any one has had loose bowels which they suspect is also down to mirtazapine?

I also have a rash on my face, just cheeks and nose and this appeared around the time I restarted mirt back in January.

I had wondered if it was down to the anti-coagulant med.

How ever I had an appointment with Gastroenterologist consultant a week ago and my blood thinner was changed but I am still the same.

I have lost loads of weight as trying to eat less hoping bowel prob will clear.

I'm quite worried by it all to be honest.

I wish I had not returned to mirtazapine following my successful WD last year.

I was not sleeping well and this is the reason I started taking it again.

The only benefit I have had is a good night's sleep.

Anxiety is really bad along with these other problems.

I was on 15mg and shall now begin WD again.

Please let me know if you have had these side effects which I did not have when I was on mirt last year.

Best wishes to all.

Sunbird8

• Posted

Hi Sunbird

Nice to have you here smile  

Sorry to hear you've been in the wars again, poor you.  I think upset stomachs can definately be a Mirt side effect, usualy only with a change of dose for me.  However, many people have complained of painful IBS, youu maybe ought to start a new thread, that way more people will pick up on it??

I've never had a rash as such, but I had red lumpy spots around my hairline, neck, and chest when I first started Mirt, just 2 or 3 at a time.  

I wish for your return to good health Sunbird, you've had your fair share now.  Did you keep a journal of your WD from Mirt?  It might be handy as you go off again maybe.  Hope it goes well for you, keep in touch xx

• Posted

Thank you Calmer,you are alway so kind to give great advice, much appreciated.Yes I really should have started a new thread and will do so eventually.

I did not keep a journal last WD, wish I had done so.

I am being careful and trying not to rush things while just longing to be off this med!

I hope you are doing well and I admire your patience and your kindness to help us all by sharing your knowledge.

Thank you Calmer.

xx Sunbird

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.