Not coping !

Posted , 9 users are following.

I don't know what I am doing, any more.  Selincro is not all that I wanted it to be.  Battle rages on.....

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As Joanna always say, it is not a magic pill, you need to follow the directions and keep at it, it will work eventually. Keep at it.
    • Posted

Thank you, RHGB.  Trying again.  Not dead yet !
  • Posted

Pharmacological Extinction, which is the aim of The Sinclair Method, is a process which takes place over a period of time. By blocking the opioid receptors before drinking, the body doesn't get the reward it is expecting and therefore stops craving alcohol but it takes some time for this reconditioning exercise to occur. That period of time varies from person to person but you should have, at least, seen a reduction in the amount you want to drink.

Are the side effects causing you a problem, Alonangel?

• Posted

Thank you P.  The side effects are less, now...Day10. I am drinking less, but still a lot...10 units per day.  Others, in my life , don't think this is a good way for me.  I am finding it difficult enough without the prejudice.  I am sick of going it alone against the tide.  I am trying to believe in this method.  I want it to work .  I have got the book.....will read tomorrow.  I only admitted that I was trying, because a social occasion is soon. They say ...DON'T DRINK ! They are sick of the drunk me...fair enough...so am I ! Being isolated from your family because of booze is heartbreaking...then that makes you drink more.  Sick, sick, sick woman.
    • Posted

It would be good for your husband (and you, if you haven't already) to watch the One Little Pill video about The Sinclair Method. I will send you a link by private message to where you can download it. You rent it for 72 hours for £2.71 but I would recommend that you spend a little extra to get a copy you can keep for £6.78. I won't put the link here as it will then have to wait for a moderator to approve it, so check your private messages, Alonangel.
    • Posted

For some reason, there is no private message option when I click your name, Alonangel. I'm not sure why. There is for other people. Perhaps Joanna can give you the link. I'll send it by private message to you Joanna, to save you searching around for it.
    • Posted

Thank you, PaulJTurner1964.  I can only deal with the Forum messages.  This is the only Forum I have actually posted on.  I usually just read them.  I did not want any private messages.  I will be seeming a bit weird, I suppose. I am very ashamed and secretive about my drinking.  My family feel much the same.  We just hide it.  I promise not to drink at social gatherings. Now, this method is going against that.  I don't even know if I am ready to try social drinking yet.  It might be too soon.  Family think NO BOOZE for me, under any circumstances! Not convinced Selincro is right way. My feeling is that this method might actually last.  Fed up falling off wagons !
    • Posted

I am just going on with this journey alone.  I always drink alone, at home, anyway.  I will take the tablet each day and wait 2 hours and hope that the great need for alcohol diminishes, over time.  I need patience.  The posts on this Forum are a wonderful help for me.  I am not so lonely now because the people understand my problem.  There is no judgement from you or the others.  It is hard for me to admit so much.  This Forum makes it possible.  I find it difficult to trust people.  That is why I spend most time alone.   Good Luck with your journey.  Happy Landings ! (Angel joke)
    • Posted

As you get used to us, think about allowing private messages. It can be helpful and the moderators are all over it if anybody abuses the private message system, so there is nothing to fear.
    • Posted

I don't personally have an alcohol problem and never have done, Alonangel. I am one of the lucky ones. I am an alcohol treatment practitioner.
    • Posted

I know this is a serious subject, but I just had to say:

I don't have a problem with alcohol either, it just seems to have a problem with me. biggrin

• Posted

Good Luck with your Alcohol Treatment Practice.

Thank you for your help.

Have you had a family member, with the "problem"?   Why do you want to help?

Alonangel

• Posted

I trained as a mental health nurse way back in the 80s and addiction was the direction I chose (addiction comes under mental health services and mental health staff are deemed to have the best skills to deal with that and related issues).

Over more than 25 years working with people with alcohol problems, I have been frustrated by attitudes from health care professionals and society in general, who seem to prefer to believe that these people are to blame for their illness. I don't believe that at all and have worked with some of the loveliest people who have been in difficulty with alcohol.

With the NHS not providing anywhere near the service required to meet the needs, it wouldn't be easy to get a job doing what I do in the NHS (they just don't exist in most areas) so I work independently and that frees me from the needless buraucracy and budget restrictions that would be forced on me in the NHS.

But no history of alcohol issues myself or in my family. As I said, I am one of the lucky ones.

• Posted

Thank you for that detailed answer, Paul.  You must indeed be one of "the good guys" !  I don't really accept blame for my problem.  I am quite good at blaming everybody else...not really helpful.  I am generally, not lucky...but I am not superstitious, either.  I have managed to cut my Units from 10 to 7, today.  Madly happy !!! I don't feel that I want any more.  The Selincro must be working because I don't stop until I need to. Day11 on this journey is a Good Day.  This Forum and your input, all support me...I start off well, then fall by the wayside, fast. I nearly gave up already.  

All good wishes,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I just understand because I have taken the time to work out why people do what they do, Alonangel. I consider that competence and open-minded rather than 'good' smile I wish others wouldn't be so blind and narrow-minded smile

Don't give up, it sounds like the Selicro is having a positive effect for you smile Many people have to make a few adjustments. Just remember that you have an 8-11 hour window after taking it, in which to drink. If you drink within the two hours after taking it, it hasn't yet been properly absorbed by the body. If you drink after it has worn off, it is also going to allow your receptors to get the reward from the alcohol and, by drinking outside this period and stimulating those receptors, you are going to find that any reduction in consumption is slower than if you stick to the 'rules.'

• Posted

Really made me lol today, your comment to paul😂RHGB!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.