Not coping !

Posted , 9 users are following.

I don't know what I am doing, any more.  Selincro is not all that I wanted it to be.  Battle rages on.....

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear this, but it's hard to know what furter to advise you, Alonangel.

Put simply, and rather bluntly I am afraid, you are taking a medication without really understanding what you are doing with it.  You don't fully understand what the medication is supposed to do, how it works, how long it might take, and perhaps most importantly how to make it work the best for you!

I am an alcohol counsellor who supports people through this method from the beginning until they are comfortable enough to not need me anymore.  I do this for free, partly because this method worked for me and I want to help others through it.

Twice I have offered to explain to you and support you but you have declined on both occasions.  It isn't that the Selincro isn't all that you wanted it to be - it's that you are wanting it to be something that it isn't.  It isn't going to miracuously stop you drinking, you have to work WITH it.  How to do that is what I wanted to explain to you.

Here is a stat for you to consider:  This method works for around 80% of the people who understand it and remain compliant to the prescribing instructions.  Around 10% stop taking the pill at some point before the method has worked.  There are only 10% of people who, for a reason no-one yet understands, find that this method just doesn't medically work for them.

As it stands right now, unless you start reading and understanding how this medication is supposed to work, I am afraid to say you are likely to be in the 10% that is going to stop taking the pill before it's had a chance to work properly.  Wouldn't you prefer to be in the 80% that it does work for?

PLEASE message me and we will set up a time for a short chat.  If you really cannot bring yourself to do that, this this article below is a great place to start to understand the method you are doing.

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

• Posted

Thank you, Joanna.  I realise that I am difficult re communication methods.  Sorry.  I have many issues.  I have got the book you mentioned.  It arrived yesterday, I will read it tomorrow , when have privacy.  My husband is not supportive in this.  I just told him about it today...Day10.  I knew the reaction.  I only told because there is a social occasion soon.  He is a critical person.  I am alone ...or worse... feeling persecuted.  Bit dramatic, I know...but that is how it is.  Seeing Doc. tomorrow...he deals with the real situ.
    • Posted

Hello again, Joanna.  I have been reading online for the past hour...amazing for my short attention span !  All info re TheSinclairMethod. An "extra" chapter of Q.&A.'s.  I feel so much better about it all.  I will be more patient with myself. Hope returns...and you are an excellent support, by what you have advised and informed me.  I will be reading the actual book tomorrow.  I am looking forward to it.  This process is not a "quick fix".  I have reduced my level of daily units.  I will get there, bit by bit.  I just know that I worry a lot and prob want to reduce faster than doing so. It will take as long as it takes.....as long as I take the Selincro each day I drink. 10 Days in.  Non alcohol-free yet. Hoping to try for one this week.  One day. 😀 If I don't manage that...ok...next week.😀
    • Posted

None alcohol-free yet.
    • Posted

"my husband is not supportive in this"

I picked up on this line because I feel it is very important for those closest to us....to be SUPPORTIVE.

With you making a statement like that I believe...that your husband is probably a big underlying cause for your drinking.  I know I was with someone for 22 years that was not supportive of my drinking and when I tried to stop on various occasions told me over and over...I would be a failure...I would not be able to stop...and all of this was said in front of my children.

I became really determined to stop....I was sick of being sick all the time...sick of being put down....and THEN after I had a year sober I found the strength to leave that "marriage".   It was the best thing I ever did.  And I maintained my sobriety for 8 years because I asked him to leave my life. 

I can't tell you to get away from him...but that is really what I am thinking...that he is a BIG part of your continued drinking and depression.

I had been drinking the last 2 years...and the underlying reason for THAT is "relationships".  Yes, I wanted to try a drink after 8 years of sobriety and that was a bad decision.  But, I wanted to try a drink because my life and relationships were causing me sooo much pressure.

Something to think about.

• Posted

Hello Misssy2.  We don't need Sherlock , with you about !  I have always felt alone, despite being married.  Easy to blame the other.  My husband does not want to deal with the problem.  He just wants it to go away.  He thinks I should NEVER DRINK.  He is not interested in "new method".  He cannot cope with my drunken persona.  Hey, neither can I !  I do drink to escape the reality of an unsatisfactory relationship.  Problem before drink....over time , drink gets blame.  I am afraid to be truly alone. Thanks for caring, my friend. Alonangel 😞
    • Posted

Alonangel... the underlying problem will not go away.  You have to deal with the "hubby" issue.  Or the alcohol is never going to go away easily.  Its hard enough just having an alcohol problem.  But, having a relationship problem compounds alcohol and makes it harder for US.  I also have a relationship problem...that I know I have to DEAL with
  • Posted

Hello Angel,

Don't put pressure on yourself to be "alcohol free" but monitor everything you drink and analyse it to see if it goes down.  I still drink a bottle of wine + when I do drink but I am happy to go 4-5 nights a week alcohol free which is a huge release for me as I used to be up to 2 bottles a night.  My husband doesn't drink and never understood my compulsion to drink either, and I would also get ridiculously drunk in social situations, embarrassing us and falling over, you're not alone! You're in the right place!

Keep at it, try buying miniatures of wine so you might find you're drinking less without realising it as there isn't the bottle to finish.

i did a 2 mile coastal walk yesterday and we had lunch in a pub with a sea view, I had a pint of lemonade with ice and lemon and LOVED it! The woman on the next table had a glass of white wine and I actually looked at it and thought "urgh, no thanks!" This is remarkable as previously I never turned down an opportunity for a drink, ever.

good luck x

• Posted

Wish I could 'like' this comment twice!

Well done, this is wonderful news.  You are doing everything right - allowing the drinking sessions to be controlled and not worry you AND doing something that releases good positive endorphins on the days you don't drink.

Keep on with this progress, it's great to hear biggrin

• Posted

Hello Fuzzy,

Thanks for your input.  I am going to try the wine miniatures, today.  The "I'll just finish the bottle off" habit, is a nightmare to try and break.  My problem is that I just know if I buy 3, I'll drink 3.....but if I buy 2, that might not be enough.  I think I'll get 3 today, though.  I need to check amounts of units.  The bottles I've been drinking, have 10 units. Reducing gradually is key.  I was previously having 2 bottles. So, I reckon 3 miniatures will be another step down.....but not too "steep a step" to take.  I hope so.  Thanks for your Good Luck wish... I need that too.  A bit scared, it must be  the prospect of "losing my bottle"... ha, ha !

Good Luck, my friend. x  😃

• Posted

This is a good start, but keep remembering that you should not be trying to 'force' anything at the moment.  Between drinks, ask yourself if you REALLY want another.  If you do, then drink it but drink it slowly and again, ask yourself if you REALLY want the next one  etc etc...

Also, with your tablets should have came a code to be able to access the manufacturers online support tool, which is called Reduce Your Drinking. This is a great to help you, so please use it.

• Posted

P.S.     I love your idea of weekend day out...with lunch.  I would like to get to that stage, where I could try for an alcohol-free day.....while having a lovely time.  It gives me hope for the future.  Thanks again.  Angel 🎇
    • Posted

Thanks Joanna.  I will really "think each drink" today.  It is great to be reminded of such a simple strategy.....that I simply forget all about.  I cannot see any code for an online support tool. The manufacturer is in Denmark, as you will know.  The other source of information is just about the European Medicines Agency web site.  I haven't looked at that, yet.  I am seeing my G.P. today, so I will be glad to tell my progress and plan.

Kind Regards,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

If you doctor prescribe the tablets then he/she should have also given you the code with it.  That is what they are instructed to do.

Please mention it to the doctor.

:-)

• Posted

Hi Alonangel

I have never been out with my wife without a drink being invoved, so up until recently we didnt go out unless we really had to......

Yesterday however we went out primarily to look at buying a new car, I knew we would stop in the pub eventually, so took my pill.

.........we did stop in a pub I had a pint, didnt want any more and left, stopped in another had a glass of wine didnt fancy anymore and left, stopped in a third had a glass of wine didnt fancy anymore and left.....this was over a 3-4 hour period.....stopped at the off licence and bought 2 bottles of wine, shared one with the wife, which lasted all evening (the other is still in the fridge), went to bed feeling a bit tipsy, got up for work a bit thickheaded but feeling good about myself.

Three to Four months ago you would have had to wrestle me from the first pub, I would have had a least 2-3 drinks in each of the following pubs and polished off the wine at home, possibly looking for more...resulting in a megga hangover today, feeling sick and unable to work properly.

That didnt happen because of the Sinclair method, yes I drank more than most "normal" people, I had a great day out with my wife and looking forward to many more, I may on future occassions drink more, but not much....and some days possibly less, but irrespective of what happens I feel in control, knowing that I can go out socially and control myself, or at least let the pill control me..........

It is something you need to persevere at, and make compromises, sacraficing the "buzz" in favour of control and well being.

The effort initially is truely worth it. I never want to go back.

Good Luck to you.

p.s. We didnt buy a car, although we might in the next couple of months, and my wife, who is happy to drink coke and coffee, is used to driving me around from pub to pub.........years of practice.

• Posted

Sorry, I didn't see your reply before my appointment.  I will write the info down to mention at next app.
    • Posted

Like your post sil, very encouraging for me on my naltrexone journey.

Hope you're ok today Alonangel. This discussion has been so helpful to me too. So thanks to everyone who have given advice.Love and best wishes to you all xx

• Posted

Hello Paper fairy,

I think I am ok today.  I am reducing my Units a bit, with the help of Wine Miniature Bottles.....and a lot of chocolate!!!!!   I am self-rewarding my efforts re alcohol reduction, with chocolate treats. You couldn't make it up ! I'll be looking for a tablet to taper down chocolate consumption, soon ! (lol)

Keeping going in the right direction.  Tried 3 diff types of min vino, today...red, rose and white...one after the other.  I did manage short breaks between, short breaks. I felt tipsy....I didn't expect that, at this stage.  Maybe the mixture?. I will stick to one kind tomorrow.  Little by little...I will get there.....eventually !

Take care. I hope you are feeling better about yourself.

Alonangel🍫🎇

• Posted

You will, we will get there. So best thing on tv ever tonight at 9, last one in series. Happy Valley, I like the way they portrayed the alcoholic sister, and 2 others. Spot on and obviously done research, unlike the soaps, where they are cured in 24 hours. You have to laugh!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.