Not digesting food for 5 weeks?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This began about 5 weeks ago, and it has only been through using Google that I now realise what's happening, but have no idea why.

It took a while for any tests to be done, no fault of my own!

2 stool tests were normal

A blood test take last week was normal.

I've had constant chronic diarrhoea for just over 5 weeks. No matter what I eat, shortly after, I'm off to the bathroom and I can be up and down the stairs at least 5/6 times within an hour.

This is not happening just once a day either.

I'm losing weight of course.

I've had to push to get an appointment at the hospital, I'm being fast tracked I hope.

Unfortunately, the criteria is, you have to have constant diarrhoea for 6 weeks plus!

I feel well in myself, apart from stomach cramps.

Eating is the problem.

Does anyone have or had similar please?

Thanks smile

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Patricia, I am going through exactly the same. I am in to my 4th week now of everything I eat I'm getting awful pains and rushing to the loo. I can't even eat toast without it happening.  My bloods have come back normal but still waiting on stool results.  Hope you get some answers soon as it's not pleasant.
    • Posted

Hi angief, sorry to hear you are also going through this.

The results of the biopsy I had done a couple weeks ago, showed I have Lymphocytic colitis. I'm due for another scan at some stage. My consultant I think had a meeting today to discuss my health issue, she will get back to me on this.

I have to say, I don't experience pain at all, only a rumbling tummy and also pretty thirsty.

My consultant contacted my Dr yesterday and I have been prescribed Budesonide, it's a steroid apparently quite expensive. I was asked not to lose any lol @ £1 per capsule.

I have to start with 3 a day for 3 weeks, then 2 a day for 3 weeks, ending with 1 daily for 3 weeks and then I have to stop taking them.

I don't know a lot about this steroid, but I shall read up. I believe there is a cheaper one, sorry, I can't remember the name, begins with a P, apparently it doesn't work quite so well.

I'll start my medication this afternoon, given I've only now got it.

I'll see how it goes.

I went to my Dr about my health issue during the first week of March and it seems you have to have chronic diarrhoea for 6 weeks or more before any investigation is done. It seems a very long wait, actually it was a very long wait!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.