Not feeling like myself following hysterectomy

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a hysterectomy on March 23, 2018. I had my uterus, cervix and Fallopian tubes removed.  I thought I was fortunate to keep my ovaries as my Gynecologist assured me that would keep my hormones intact.  Not mentioning the pain, discomfort and constipation due to surgery, I have since been waking up in the middle of the night with hot flashes.  I also don’t feel like myself. I feel numb and detached. Is this what my life will be like in the future?  I really didn’t expect to feel this way. I am regretting my decision to have the surgery. 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also had hysterectomy on the 22nd March. The difference is, I had my ovaries taken out as well. I also have days when I feel like I am regretting having the operation; however every day feels like I am getting better. I feel exhausted and feel useless as I can’t do much. I guess will have to wait for the 6 weeks recovery period and take it from there. The only other thing that is bothering me is the headaches I am getting and I am struggling to wear my contact lense for the whole day. 

I am sure you will pull through. Take one day at a time. 

• Posted

Ohh Pamela.

I truly understand. May I inquire your age? I’m inquiring about your age is because I was advised to undergo my hysterectomy much earlier than I agreed to have it. This may have been the time for you/ sooner than later. 

Please understand that I’m not a physician, only a co patient. I so empathize with the menopausal effects. I was 5 years into menopause when I underwent my surgery. This was a not an easy surgery to experience. The recovery period and instructions 

are essential to be taken seriously. Don’t feel as though your disturbing your physician or their office staff, if you are questioning anything. Questioning whether or not you ought to have had surgery is what I’m also now questioning. Nevertheless, it was advised by your physician and if you had been experiencing any of the symptoms that I was experiencing for a portion of 15 years, than yes,,,, perhaps this is your beginning recovery in a multitude of problems that may have worsened. I believe that i made a wise decision. Please feel free to reach out again. 

• Posted

I am 45 years old.  I was having significant problems which warranted the hysterectomy. With that said, I had become pretty good with managing the pain due to my female problems. Now I dealing with a new set of issues related to The hysterectomy.  I even thought I would be able to return to work after two weeks - even though my doctor laughed at me.  I read boron stories on the internet but everyone I personally spoke with said it was the best thing they ever did. 
    • Posted

Hi Pamela.

I truly feel your pain. You remind me of myself... 😂😂😂,,, wanting to return to work after (2) weeks ,,,,, No Can Do!!!!

It’s listening to the doctors, having patience and above all, understanding that we can hang up tbe ‘Wonder Woman’ capes for a long while. I’m coming to the realization that’s what I need!!!! 

• Posted

Hi Pamela, I had my one exactly like you on the 28th March.... the pain so far is doable however I feel exactly like you... a bit zoned out! I had the occasional hot flush and oh my they are powerful that is for sure!! Same as you, I really hope that this is just a phase and is not going to be like this in the future because i wasn't aware of all of this before the surgery.... wish you all the best x

• Posted

You've had major surgery!  It will take exterior incisions 6-8 weeks to heal, your internal parts 6-8 months.  You need to give yourself and your spirit time to heal.  

Your body needs to sort itself out, that's only natural. Also, if you've been taking pain meds that's why you're constipated.  Rest. xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear your feeling this way. However we are all different and have varies of symptoms, but take your vitamins and check with your primary for answers. Stay strong 
  • Posted

Goodness, you only had major surgery what, 15 days ago? it takes at least (at least) 6 weeks to start feeling a little better and can take up to (and longer) a year to be fully back to normal again, I had my hysterectomy 3 years ago and it takes time to heal, I'm assuming you had this op done as you were having problems? so how can you be regretting it? Those problems are gone hopefully, I had mine because I had cancer so I definitely don't regret having it done, your constipation is easily controlled, there are all manner of things you can take take/eat to sort that out and if the hot flashes are a problem talk to your doctor. Remember, patience is a virtue. ;0)

• Posted

Pamela, 

Please forgive my delay in reaching out.  You had your surgery a day after mine.  I am experiencing the very same thing. Believe it our not. I’m 54 years old, still have my ovaries  and thought that I was completely done with menopause. 

I’m feeling very similar with feelings that I cannot understand. Tears, lack of focus and  short tempered. I have an appointment with my physician on Tuesday. I’m also very tired and just want to 💤 sleep. These  feelings will not last. We just had the surgery and our bodies have gone through an incredible overhaul. Try to be patient. In addition, be kind to yourself. I’ve been told to pretty much stay off my feet and stairs. It’s been truly tough, being that I’m extremely active..... Believe it or not,,, I ordered a mini keyboard 🎹 and decided to teach myself. I haven’t removed it from the box., but today is a new day!!!! Little by little you’re going to feel better. Call your doctor and speak with him as well. Take care and reach out again. biggrin)

• Posted

Hi hun

I had my tvh on ja n 22 nd but did keep my ovaries.

It's takes months for your body to adjust to the absence of an organ.

If you haven't gone through menopause then there are a host of remedies to try.

I take Peruvian maca and it's brill. I also take a bio identic a l progesterone cream.. It's all natural and have had clinical trials.

I think you need to give yourself more time as it's not i my short of 2 wks😱 yet.

I'm 11 wks and still taking things really slow.I'm 59 slim and otherwise healthy.

Please see your consultant if your worried,I am at 12 wks.

X

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl.

Thank you for sharing this information.

I’m 54 years old and (2) weeks post operative. I’ve been attempting to move around too much and still use stairs on average of (8) x’s daily. It’s now 2:30 P.M. on Saturday and I’m laying down with intermittent pain which has been occurring. My appointment is on Tuesday and I’m preparing myself for a tongue lashing from my physician. Yes. This is major surgery and it takes quite more recovery  time than I had initially anticipated. May I inquire to tbe length of serious bed rest that everyone has been following. My doctor had explained bedrest for at least (2) weeks, bare minimum of stairs and absolutely no lifting, pulling, pushing or bending. In addition, no driving for (4) weeks. The no sex part, isn’t a concern for me! LOL!!!!

I thought I’d reach out to you guys, bring that I’m now in bed. 

• Posted

Hello,

Im due to have my op this year have my pre op this month so wont be long after that I think.  what is the cream you used?  Where did you get it and where do you put it??  I am concerned about going through the menopause and am looking for something I can start taking that will maybe help me.  At the moment I do not know if they will take or leave my ovaries.

I am getting quite concerned about having the op now as I have a large fibroid but no symptoms apart from the bloated tummy.  I know it will have to be open tummy surgery because of the size of it. I will be 48 this year and have shown no sign of starting the menopause.

Thanks 

• Posted

Oops I'm 50 not 50😂😂😂😂😂cricket Moses lol

• Posted

Hello hun

I didn't really stay in bed much,if getup in morning, shower and just rest in sofa. If I felt I needed to lay down if go to bed. Even now at 12 wks in still resting. I'm 50 not 59 lol sorry for typo,but just listen to your body I did nothing much for 6 wks just gentle walks around garden and outside,I wrapped myself up in cotton wool. Any more questions just askxx

• Posted

Hi Jacqui

Drop me a private message and I'll tell you.I

I have my ovaries but did menopause at age 45. I am now 50. I only get a few flushes a day,nothing much really.xx

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl.

😂😂😂50, 59 ,,,, 😂😂😂

Thank you for your reply. I left my physician’s office this afternoon with such a tongue lashing. I’m entering my 3rd. post op week.  Apparently, I’m not following any instructions, regarding walking, stairs and basic care. He has me on complete bedrest for the next week to 10 days. I have another appointment in 2 weeks. He explained that I had a bowel obstruction that needed to be addressed while in surgery. I completely disregarded the severity of my surgery. Six weeks is the average recovery time, it’s seems that i may be in the 8 to 10 week range. Please ladies take good care!!! 😂 LOL. I may be the only one not following my advice. 😂😂😂

• Posted

Wow, yeah I read for the other ladies how much rest we need. Take care and now you know rest. Stay strong 
    • Posted

Hi Liz.

Ohh yes!!!! I plan to be truly quiet and in bed....!!!👍👍👍. 

Thank you so much for your support.

I will be continue to remain a part of our group. I do believe that we need a few delinquents with stories.😂😂😂. 

• Posted

Jacqui

I have some of the same worries as you. I’m scheduled to have my surgery on June 6. My surgeon is unsure if he will be able to save an ovary. I’m having the hysterectomy to address large fibroids and ovarian cysts found during a different surgery I had in March. I also have had no or few symptoms of the fibroids and Maybe just a few tinges of pre-menapause. I also hope I don’t worry getting this surgery. I’m worried of menopause at the age of 47.

Good luck to you.  I hope everything goes well for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.